140368Re: CYOA - reefing technique

  • cchl74
    Jul 10, 2013
      The foot of the reefed main should be snug, but not bowstring tight. Certainly not any tighter than what is used on the unreefed main. I mostly appreciate a mechanical advantage in the reefing system because it helps overcome the friction when setting the reef. It is tough to warp in tension because the boom moves.

      Thanks all,

      I checked my boat tonight and I feel I missed a few inches on that line to make the foot really tight. But it is really really hard to get it flat without some help. Granted, I'm not very athletic but I can still pull my own weight (maybe the thin dyneema line I picked doesn't help either).

      Bruce, I've been thinking about that block and I wonder if a couple of double blocks (like for a main sheet for example), an eye at the reef line and a carabiner wouldn't work for both line. Here is my though:
      1. tighten the clew line by hand until you can fit it in the carabiner (which is attached to a double block)
      2. tighten the other line and get the extra purchase for the last 2-3 feet.

      It should be fairly simple to release and fit the second reef in if needed...I think...

      Also, an idea that worked well at the dock (but maybe just there...) was to let the main halyard go a little, remove some line from the winch leaving a couple turns only. Then wrap the reef line around it, slightly pinching the bottom of the cleat on the boom. Use the winch to tighten the reef and then with the hand, push from the bottom to allow the reef line to wrap around the cleat (while releasing the tension on the winch as needed to lock it there and finish the hitch.

      Florent

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic