140367Re: CYOA - reefing technique

  • Floent Boico
    Jul 9, 2013
      Thanks all,

      I checked my boat tonight and I feel I missed a few inches on that line to make the foot really tight. But it is really really hard to get it flat without some help. Granted, I'm not very athletic but I can still pull my own weight (maybe the thin dyneema line I picked doesn't help either).

      Bruce, I've been thinking about that block and I wonder if a couple of double blocks (like for a main sheet for example), an eye at the reef line and a carabiner wouldn't work for both line. Here is my though:
      1. tighten the clew line by hand until you can fit it in the carabiner (which is attached to a double block)
      2. tighten the other line and get the extra purchase for the last 2-3 feet.

      It should be fairly simple to release and fit the second reef in if needed...I think...

      Also, an idea that worked well at the dock (but maybe just there...) was to let the main halyard go a little, remove some line from the winch leaving a couple turns only. Then wrap the reef line around it, slightly pinching the bottom of the cleat on the boom. Use the winch to tighten the reef and then with the hand, push from the bottom to allow the reef line to wrap around the cleat (while releasing the tension on the winch as needed to lock it there and finish the hitch.

      Florent

      ------------------------------
      On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 4:17 PM PDT Kbjmjrb@... wrote:

      >I can only use the bullet block trick on the first reef. I cleat the lines
      >near the gooseneck and the second reef would have too much line for it to
      >work. The usual way to put in a slab reef is to ease the mainsheet, take up on
      >the reef line, (The end of the boom will rise), ease the main halyard, (the
      >boom will return to level), attach the new tack, re-tension the main
      >halyard, (or use the downhaul), and take in the mainsheet. If there are two
      >working the boat, it can be done without loosing much drive in the main.
      >
      > Bruce K >
      >>

      >> This is pretty much my setup. I like the idea of an additional block but
      >> wouldn't that add clutter to the boom with the then doubled line going back
      >> to the gooseneck, especially since there needs to be one for each reefing
      >> line?
      >>
      >> I pulled pretty darn hard on that reefing line to get it to where it is
      >> and it was not that windy when I set it up. Of course I let a large portion
      >> of the main fall before I tensioned the clew.
      >>
      >> Florent

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic