      From: Larry W <radicalcy@...>
      Subject: Re: let me your opinions - CYOA - criag's list posting Columbia 30 $9999
      To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, October 2, 2011, 3:49 PM

      Stephen,
      If you're planning to do the labor yourself, it all comes down to how much time you can commit and how good you are at planning and multi tasking.
      Everything takes more time than planned, and there are incredible time gaps between stages. You have to be prepared to work on several projects at once.
      Buy only what you need for immediate needs. This can be more expensive in the short term, but if, at some point you abandon the project, supplies that you have on hand become almost worthless.
      If, on the other hand, you have barrels of money, and can pay someone qualified to do the work, go for it. But know in advance that
      unless you are prepared to spare no expense, you'll wind up with just what you started with, and no money.
      The only way I know of to get a ready to go boat, is to buy one new, or close to new. A 30 year old boat, is a 30 year old boat, no matter how much work has been done on it. And unless you've done the work yourself, and know where every wire, hose and fuse is, you're going to run into problems down the road.
      I have operated on the idea that I want to go sailing. My 8.7 mostly allows me to do that. I do what has to be done to keep it sailing, without trying to make it a "new" boat. I don't have a fortune tied up in it, and if I have to, I can scrap it, and go on to another boat. I don't agonize over what I don't have, or wish I had. Worst case scenario, I know plenty of other people with sailboats, and if it comes to it, I can go sailing with them.
      Hope this helps.
      Larry Wilson

      --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, CJE <cjecje1@...> wrote:

      > My C-29 is presently out of the water. The engine and so forth is all out. Over the years many little things have been neglected and as you well know; all become cumulative. As a result I now have a fair sized task in front of me.
      >
      > So when I see an ad like this I think:
      >
      > 1. Pay out $10K and I could sail away.
      >
      > 2. Part out my boat or sell it to someone with more time than money, or donate it and take the deduction.
      >
      > Basically: how long will it take me to get my boat in the water versus how fast I could count out a hundred hundreds.
      >
      > Which would you do?
      >
      > And why?
      >
      > stephen
      > -----------
      >

      > On Oct 2, 2011, at 2:04 PM, Christian Planton wrote:
      >
      > Columbia C-30 Sailboat Fiberglass- many upgrades - $9999 (East Hampton)
      > Date: 2011-10-02, 8:45AM EDT
      > Reply to: sale-gf5yd-2584617685@... [Errors when replying to ads?]
      >
      > Columbia 30' 1972 Tall Rig Sailboat - Make Offer!!! www.sellyourboatnow.shutterfly.com/5731
      > LOA: 30
      > Beam: 9.6
      > Draft: 5.11
      > Weight: 10,000
      > Engine: Atomic 4 Rebuilt Engine 2001 new version, fresh water cooled
      > Holding Tank: 25 gallon w Y valve
      > Water Tank: 25 gallon fiberglass
      >
      > Heavily built Columbia sailboat with no cracks or defects in the gelcoat or chain plate issues. Will deliver vessel once sold.
      > Suitable for blue water sailing.
      > Taken care of and upgraded over the years with new wiring, new batteries, anchor winch, GPS, new sail cover, new dodger, new Sunblocker upholstery on cushions, many extras.
      > Well maintained Columbia 30' 1974 Tall Rig. Bill Tripp Design.
      > Raised deck design w fin keel.
      > Standard shoal keel draft. Includes a new dodger and new sail cover.
      > Equipped w Selden furlex 2000, 150% Genoa, 110 furling Jib, main sail 2004, Spinnaker, spinnaker pole, halyards and sheets. . All standing rigging replaced in 1998 w stainless steel.
      > Steel/wire halyards for main and fore sails 2005. Spray hood and bimini 2011. Teak swim platform and ladder. Fully galley, full head and interior teak like new. New Sunbrella
      > cushions for cabin and cockpit. Hull was scraped and painted w four coats of barrier coat and antifouling 2006. 2 Deep cycle batteries 2011. Auto tiller pilot Raymarine w fluxgate compass 2005.
      > Depth sounder, Plastimo compass, VHF radio 2005, CD AM/FM radio 2 speakers in cabin and 2 in cockpit. 55 Amp alternator 2005. 50 ft Shore power cord and inverter 2005. Bilge blower, bilge
      > water pump electric and manual. Electric windlass w up and down foot switch at bow and in cockpit 2005. 2 Danforth anchors and 8 stainless steel winches.
      > It has a keel stepped mast.
      > Everything is in good working order.

> [...]

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic