101215Re: How do you tack? (was CYOA - Ash Ling)

  • Ned Tyler
    Oct 2, 2008
      E for me.

      It depends on how strong the wind is, how many people in the conkpit,
      how lazy I am feeling, and where I had stashed my drink.

      Seriously, it mostly depends on wind strength and whether tacking
      reduces my field of vision.

      Ned Tyler
      C 8.3
      Solomons, MD

      --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Eric White"
      <svcompassrose@...> wrote:

      > Tack. That was my first thought, too. <grin>
      >
      > But it brings up a question to you tiller users:
      >
      > When you tack, do you:
      >
      > A. move to the windward side of the boat
      > B. switch hands on the tiller
      > C. A and B
      > D. keep your butt in the same spot
      > E. it depends.....
      >
      > I've seen people do all of the above except B only. I fall into
      the C
      > catagory - I move to the windward side and switch hands. I think
      this
      > is because I did almost all my early sailing on stuff like Sunfish,
      > Force 5, etc. I had to move to the windward side or the boat would
      > tip over. I switched hands on the tiller because the hand towards
      the
      > bow controlled the main sheet, so the hand toward the stern
      controlled
      > the rudder. (Note - "controlled" was sometimes a relative term).
      >
      > I think this was reinforced when sailing a boat with any weather
      helm.
      > When sitting to windward you hold the tiller towards you; when
      sitting
      > to leeward you constantly have to push the tiller away. Holding it
      > toward me seems to take less effort and felt more natural.
      >
      > So, how do you tack?
      >
      > Eric
      >

      > --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Ouellette
      > <pat@> wrote:
      > >
      > > On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 03:02:43PM -0000, jeff talbut wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Sighhh!!...Don't be "sorry" that was a sigh of relief...JT
      > > > Oh, by the way...about this reoccurring tiller cramp...
      > > >

      > > Tack more often ;-)>
      > >

      > > --
      > >
      > > Patrick Ouellette pat@
      > > ne4po (at) arrl (dot) net Amateur Radio: NE4PO
      > > "Crank the amp to 11, this needs more cowbell - and a llama
      wouldn't
      > hurt either"
      > > "Your arguments are an odd mix of overly optimistic on one side
      and
      > overly
      > > pessimistic on the other"

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic