Office of the Inspector General -- Towed Cars

  • bryce_e_stephens <bryce_e_stephens@yahoo
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2003
      I posted a message yesterday regarding my car having been towed a few
      months ago, "stolen", then miraculousy recovered by the DC police.

      A number of other group members have also posted messages detailing
      similar stories.

      I've contacted a few council members (thanks to David Catania who
      responded promptly) and have been doing some investigating on my own.

      The DC Inspector General's Office has been doing some investigating
      as well:

      1) http://www.wusatv9.com/news/news_article.asp?storyid=13026
      A Channel 9 News blurb about Office's findings of alleged conspiracy
      between police officers and tow truck operators.

      2) http://www.dcig.org/
      This is the Office of the Inspector General website. There are a few
      documents discussing the Office's investigation and propsed changes
      to towing regulations. Individuals may also call the hotline (1-800-
      521-1639) to file a complaint (anonymously and confidential, if
      desired) if you are aware of "corruption, fraud, waste, abuse, or
      mismanagement involving any D.C. government agency, official or
      program"(http://www.dcig.org/hotframe.html). I made my call earlier
      today.

      Bryce