RE: [columbia_heights] Re: Stop Sign

  • Megan Cytron
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 2, 2003
      It seems like there is really a need for a public meeting/forum
      at which all of the various neighborhood subdivision/factions can
      discuss their issues with traffic and so that this can feed into
      the "master plan". Is this going to be part of "the study"?

      It's true, I live on 13th Street, so that's where I have put my
      biggest focus when it comes to pedestrian safety. That said, I
      don't think it is at all accurate or fair to characterize the
      changes on 13th as though they were at the request--or for the
      benefit of--newcomers (a.k.a. "the gentrifiers"). Ever since the
      construction on 14th ended and the metro opened (and actually
      well before it) many of my neighbors were organizing and urging
      that 13th be returned to a residential street--particularly those
      with children, renters and owners alike. I remember signing a
      petition about this in front of Tubman Elementary school at least
      5 years ago...

      The diversion of commuter traffic to 13th during the metro
      construction was supposed to be temporary. That's why everyone
      raised such a stink after the metro opened. It took several years
      and countless letters and petitions from residents to get the
      change made.

      --Megan
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 3, 2003
        John,

        I was complaining to high heaven to have a traffic study done concerning
        development, and taking a lot of grief from some members of the egroup
        because they don't think citizens should "diss" development plans.

        And why do you say I wasn't overjoyed or concerned about your traffic
        concerns? I didn't and couldn't comment one way or another because it is a
        situation I know nothing about.

        Besides I think of Columbia Heights as a single entity not a collection of
        sub-neighborhoods each with it's own agenda. I am most interested in
        addressing common concerns.

        Dave

        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 3, 2003
          Dave,

          It sure didn't read that way from your post ("Thanks Caroline?"),
          but you're entitled to the benefit of the doubt.

          The fact is that we are a neighborhood of sub-divisions, like
          University Heights, Meridian Hill, Holmead Manor, etc. The
          houses are different, the width of the streets, yards, and
          even demographics are differ in some sections. When it comes
          to traffic, we do have different issues and concerns also.

          What we do have in common is the effect the development
          will have with traffic in our neighborhoods. But before
          we get caught up in the future, don't you think it IS in
          the best interest of us all if the existing traffic issues
          aren't taken into account first? How else are we going
          to work on issues in common together?

          So I really don't care about getting into a debate into
          which subdivision is benefiting the most from race or
          class privilege. No one would ever admit to it if they
          were anyway, so it pointless. I see it like this: Give
          us the rules and procedure to work by, and make those
          resources available to us all so that we can enable and
          empower our communites.. period. If one group feels
          guilty or angry about race or class priviege, then
          it's their problem. I just hope that those tax dollars
          are working for the benefit of all of us.

          Part of my concern stems from the original SNAP plan, where
          New Hampshire between Georgia and Park was not to be included
          in the study. Perhaps it had already been determined that NE
          would be annexed into Ward 4 by now, but that's just speculation
          also:

          http://www.neighborhoodaction.dc.gov/neighborhoodact/lib/neighborhooda
          ct/Cluster2_final.pdf

          Councilmember Graham say's he's going to deliver the
          goods, and that NE is going to get their share-- I shouldn't
          have any reason not to give him the benefit of the doubt
          either, right?

          John

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 3, 2003

            John,

            You are pretty much on point here.   A more optimal approach to many of CH traffic issues current and future would be an all-for-one-for-all approach, but that is not our current "standard operating procedure".  We mainly operate from a everyone-on-their-own approach, which tends to yeild piece mill push the problem around solutions.  While everyone-on-their-own is suboptimal for CH, it works well politicians wishing to reward supporters.

            My hope had been that the current "Transporation Study" would be a new start of CH, affording an opportunity for a more all-for-one-for-all approach.  Clearly current and future traffic/parking issues are a concern of just about everyone in CH, no matter, race, age, class, ethnic group or CH sub-area.  My hope was this study would be a way to build and rebuild trust among stakeholders, intra-CH.  A study yielding near term and long term solutions, not a perfect world but some sound engineering and planning.  With Columbia Heights receiving the focused attention we deserve.   Now, with the boundaries of the study heading "westward" and it becoming a game of "get your street on the list," I am less optimistic.

            William

            wrote:

[...]

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Elizabeth
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 3, 2003
              Megan,

              The scope of work for the traffic study, which David posted this morning,
              includes three more public meetings. The first was held Dec.2 with ANC's ,
              and other "stakeholders"; it was attended by John Thomas and Elizabeth
              McIntire(ANC 1A), Lawrence Guyot (ANC 1B), a commissioner-elect from
              Mt.Pleasant, Eric Graye who is a professional transportation planner and CH
              resident; Robert Moore of DCCH; Ken Laden, Director of DDOT;l Jim Graham;
              DDOT Ward 1 and 2 planners; Reps from Office of Planning , Mayor's Office,
              and NCRC; C. Corte from the Washington Network for Livable Communities; and
              J.Houston from Howard University.

              The first full fledged public meeting is supposed to take place sometime in
              the second half of January, and it is certainly expected that comments from
              that meeting will shape the study. In the meantime, read the draft scope of
              work and forward your comments to Ken Laden at Ken.Laden@... and Heather
              Brophy at 202-671-2227 or Heather.Brophy@... .

              Elizabeth McIntire

              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 3, 2003
                John,

                I am completely in the dark about what you are taking me to task for. I
                don't find myself much in disagreement with you. I think that perhaps you
                look at things more narrowly than I am accustomed to.

                Sure every person, street, house, yard, grain of sand is different in
                Columbia Heights. The question is how do we deal with issues? My preference
                is to deal with the issues we face from a neighborhood perspective. A
                neighborhood has enough in common to do that and large enough, vote wise, to
                have a political impact. If we get too used to dealing with issues street by
                street, then we loose political impact. Besides, how can I have an opinion
                about every stop sign in the neighborhood?

                Sure I am interested in class issues. My wife and I have lived here for
                almost 30 years. Our friends for most of the years were folks of moderate or
                very moderate means. They are the ones who befriended us, helped us,
                suffered with us, looked after our backs and taught us what grace and
                compassion under great stress is all about. They have taught me, in many
                ways, joy because joy can not be had without it's dark companion -
                suffering.

                We are benefiting now because we own our house. But those friends who do not
                are in a tight situation and Columbia Heights over the years has been a
                neighborhood of primarily renters, not owners.

                So what would you have me do - say the hell with our poor and long time
                friends, a new day has dawned? That is hardly the act of a friend.

                I don't consider what effect my bringing up the issue has. I just feel
                obligated to do it.

                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 3, 2003
                  Elizabeth,

                  Do you know if the minutes were taken for that meeting, and if
                  so, is there an electronic copy available?

                  --- In columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth" <elizabeth@i...>
                  wrote:
                  > Megan,
                  >
                  > The scope of work for the traffic study, which David posted this
                  morning,
                  > includes three more public meetings. The first was held Dec.2 with
                  ANC's ,
                  > and other "stakeholders"; it was attended by John Thomas and
                  Elizabeth
                  > McIntire(ANC 1A), Lawrence Guyot (ANC 1B), a commissioner-elect from
                  > Mt.Pleasant, Eric Graye who is a professional transportation
                  planner and CH
                  > resident; Robert Moore of DCCH; Ken Laden, Director of DDOT;l Jim
                  Graham;
                  > DDOT Ward 1 and 2 planners; Reps from Office of Planning , Mayor's
                  Office,
                  > and NCRC; C. Corte from the Washington Network for Livable
                  Communities; and
                  > J.Houston from Howard University.
                  >
                  > The first full fledged public meeting is supposed to take place
                  sometime in
                  > the second half of January, and it is certainly expected that
                  comments from
                  > that meeting will shape the study. In the meantime, read the draft
                  scope of
                  > work and forward your comments to Ken Laden at Ken.Laden@d... and
                  Heather