RE: [columbia_heights] Atlantic Home Security/security companies

  • J. Thomas
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 2, 2002
      This thread is really starting to bother me a little.  Now I see why the kids are
      feeling indifferent to many of you.

      The first thing you do when you move here is throw up bars on your windows,
      and walk around with your big attack dogs.  And now you're obsessing about
      alarms? Why on earth would someone move to a neighborhood, if you have
      to be this fearful to live in it?

      The kids probably know that you're scared of them, and they are probably just
      as offended as I'm starting to become by this post.  I see the way that I'm
      looked at by many of the "newcomers" when I walk around the neighborhood,
      but I never thought that much of it.  And I've never done anything to anyone.
      Now I'm beginning to understand, and it angers me.

      I remember someone posting to this list saying that Columbia Heights was being
      infiltrated by a bunch of elitist snobs.  Now I see what this person meant.

      At first, I felt sorry for some of you who were being harassed.  Now I beginning to feel
      that many of you deserve it.  I wish one of you would try to sick one of your attack dogs
      on me.  I'll pick up a stick and beat the crap out of the mutt if it I even feel that I'm
      being attacked.

      Some of us are really trying hard to have a neighborhood here.  If you're that damn
      scared, go live somewhere else.

      John

      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 2, 2002
        1. I haven't put up any bars in the 13 years I've lived here, but I did take
        some down on all windows except those that were ground accessible and were
        put here by the family who moved into my house in 1978.

        2. I don't own a dog.

        3. I do have an alarm and am damn glad I do. It meant that the two
        burglaries I did have (both more than 9 years ago) were simple smash and
        grabs, rather than a situation where nearly an entire floor of my house could
        be cleared out (that happened the FIRST time, before the alarm).

        4. I don't feel fearful to live here and never have. I do believe in common
        sense protection of my property though.

        5. I've never yelled epithets at any of my neighbors, but I've sure been
        called every derogatory name you can think of by them....just for being here.
        Check that....I have yelled at kids in my neighborhood, when I caught them
        scratching their names in the new brick retaining wall, throwing rocks at my
        glass door, and seeing how much damage firecrackers could do to plants in my
        yard. No nasty names...just loud and strong enough to get them to move
        along.

        6. Elitist snob? Nope, sorry...I know many of my neighbors and have great
        relationships with several -- including a few who have lived here for
        generations. I have attempted to get to know others, only to feel quite
        rejected for whatever reasons may lurk.

        7. John...some of us are trying to have a neighborhood here. We recognize
        that MOST of our neighbors -- long-term and short-term -- are good people who
        could get along quite well with just a little trust. We also recognize that
        there are some in this neighborhood who have no respect for others.

        8. If you don't threaten me with violence, I won't threaten you with
        violence. In fact, I probably wouldn't threaten you with violence even if
        you did.

        Sir, your post was unfair to most of those who post here.
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 2, 2002
          Larry,

          I agree. The sign is most important. I have known people
          who have dispensed with an alarm system altogether and
          have just prominently posted signs that declared that
          there was a system.

          I have never been crazy about bars because you are, in
          effect, locking yourself in a kind of jail. I have
          always felt that if I were that frightened of the
          neighborhood, I should move out. Also they can be a real
          hazard if a fire breaks out.

          Around a decade or so ago we had a group of young people
          sharing a rented house a few doors down. The house has
          bars. One of the occupants was leaving the house and
          went through the wooden door and closed it. He reached
          in his pocket for the keys to the grate door only to
          discover he didn't have his keys. The wooden door had a
          knob lock so he was stuck. He had to wait for a roommate
          to return. My wife said we should put a sign on the door
          made of bars that would say "caucasian" for he most
          definitely was on display.

          Little yappy dogs are better than huge dufus dogs that
          only the owner thinks impressive. Besides real attack
          dogs are expensive and open one to law suits if the dog
          doesn't act as trained.

          Our little yappers alerted us to the presence of someone
          in the rear room. He couldn't get in the main part of
          the house because we use "home alone" type security. He
          also couldn't get out. The police came and arrested him.

          Despite my pleas the Corporation Counsel would only
          charge him with destruction of property (a broken
          window), not attempted burglary. They didn't want to be
          bothered.

          Dave McIntire
          ~~~~~~~~~~
          "The whole point of getting things done
          is knowing what to leave undone"
          "A man seldom knows what he can do
          until he tries to undo what he did."

          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 2, 2002
            You have been removed.
            I recommed checking out www.checkbook.org  its like a consumer reports for DC. They have a great article and rating(s) for local alarm systems. I went with Satelitte based on thier ratings and have been very pleased.

            >To: columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [columbia_heights] Atlantic Home Security/security companies
            >Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 06:27:05 -0700
            >
            >Has anyone used Atlantic Home Security, and if so, what has been your
            >experience.
            >
            >If anyone has good or bad recommendations for security companies, I would
            >appreciate hearing those as well.
            >
            >Thanks. Elaine

          • J. Thomas
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 2, 2002
              What's so unfair about my post?  I also should not have to be threatened by my neighbors
              either.  What entitles my "newcomers" neighbors to bluff attacks with their dogs everytime
              I walk down the street?  Where's the fairness in that?  Who's going to protect me from an
              attack dog?  When you threaten me with your dog, then you are threatning me with
              violence.  So when I am threatened with violence, I reserve the right to defend myself.

              I've even noticed that sometimes the dog owner will extend the leash, allowing the dog
              to get close to my leg, and then tug on the line to get the dog excited so it will bark.
              What did I do to deserve that?  I've seen people do it to kids, and then they will smirk, and mask it with a dumb shit-eating grin afterwards, "Oh sorry, she's feeling a little grumpy".
               As if they are getting some sort of kick out of the whole incident.

              I don't believe in animal cruelty, so that why I wouldn't keep a big dog locked up in my
              house, or apartment all day just so I can have it to intimidate people when I'm scared
              to go outside when I get home.  But I will take a stick, my belt,  a 40 bottle, or whatever else
              I can find to defend myself if you let your dog snap at my ankles.  And I encourage anyone
              else who is threatened this way to do the same.

              What entitles you to intimidate me with your dog?  Anyone who feels they can move here
              and do that to people because they don't have the capacity to tell who's cool and who's
              not, and feel they have the right to do so is an elitist snob, among other things.  And I will
              do whatever I feel necessary to keep from being hurt.

              I don't give a damn what you think.  If you sick your dog on me you better hope that
              it kills me.  Otherwise it will be too bad for both you and the dog.  Do you think I could
              move to Elkins, WV with an attack dog, and get away with doing that to people there.
              I'd be arrested, and my dog would be put to sleep.

              I'm not a classist or a racist, and I'm not trying to be the victim here either.  But I get
              sick of "newcomers" people treating me like I'm some sort of wild animal that they
              have to be scared of when I walk down the street.  I could see if I was a thug
              or criminal, but too many people as a result of their ignorance cannot tell the difference
              and want to treat me this way.

              John

              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 2, 2002
                John, I don't know how old you are, but you sound fairly young and a
                little paranoid, so I'm surprised that you don't have more sympathy
                for other "frightened" people and their dogs. Maybe you have
                xenophobia in common with them? Folks with dogs on leashes can tend
                to forget that other people are around, resulting in some tangled
                legs and so forth. I hope they do not provoke solid citizens beating
                the animals with sticks. And I don't know who's been looking at you
                so hard. That's tough. Unless you're strolling up and down 13th
                Street with pantyhose stretched across your face it's hard to imagine
                a lot of excess scrutiny being directed toward you. FYI, most of the
                window and door bars have been on these houses for at least a decade,
                and it's absurd to attribute the brutality of some local children to
                the presence of bars on someone else's windows (regardless of the
                rigor the children must put into their window bar inventory and list
                of other visual "offenses" from society). People all over the region,
                in all sorts of neighborhoods have alarm systems and bars. Hey, I
                believe you when you say you're trying hard to have a neighborhood,
                but there's obviously a better way.

                Stan

                Service.
              • CCarrndc@aol.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 2, 2002
                  If someone has actually sicked their dog on you, then I hope you call the police and swear out a complaint against them.  I don't want to be attacked by anyone's dog either!  I'm with you 100%!

                  If that was the point of your original post, then my apologies.  I missed the point in your other references to people having bars on windows,  alarm systems, being scared, referred to as elitist snobs,  etc.

                  In reference to your comment:

                  è What's so unfair about my post?  I also
                  è should not have to be threatened by my neighbors
                  è either.  What entitles
                  è my "newcomers" neighbors to bluff attacks
                  è with their dogs everytimeI walk down the
                  è street?  Where's the fairness in that?  Who's going
                  è to protect me from an
                  è attack dog?  When you threaten me with
                  è your dog, then you are threatning me with
                  è violence.  So when I am threatened with
                  è violence, I reserve the right to defend
                  è myself. I've even noticed that
                  è sometimes the dog owner will extend the leash,
                  è allowing the dogto get close to my leg, and
                  è then tug on the line to get the dog excited so it will
                  è bark.What did I do to deserve that?  I've seen
                  è people do it to kids, and then they will smirk,
                  è and mask it with a dumb shit-eating grin
                  è afterwards, "Oh sorry, she's feeling a little
                  è grumpy". As if they are getting some
                  è sort of kick out of the whole
                  è incident. I don't believe in animal
                  è cruelty, so that why I wouldn't keep a big dog locked
                  è up in myhouse, or apartment all day just so I
                  è can have it to intimidate people when I'm
                  è scaredto go outside when I get home.  But I
                  è will take a stick, my belt,  a 40 bottle, or whatever else
                  è I can find to defend myself if you let
                  è your dog snap at my ankles.  And I encourage anyone
                  è else who is threatened this way to
                  è do the same. What entitles you to
                  è intimidate me with your dog?  Anyone who feels they
                  è can move hereand do that to people because
                  è they don't have the capacity to tell who's cool and
                  è who'snot, and feel they have the
                  è right to do so is an elitist snob, among other
                  è things.  And I willdo whatever I feel
                  è necessary to keep from being
                  è hurt. I don't give a damn what you
                  è think.  If you sick your dog on me you better hope
                  è thatit kills me.  Otherwise it will be too bad
                  è for both you and the dog.  Do you think I
                  è couldmove to Elkins, WV with an
                  è attack dog, and get away with doing that to people
                  è there.I'd be arrested, and my dog would be
                  è put to sleep. I'm not a classist or a
                  è racist, and I'm not trying to be the victim here either.
                  è But I get sick of "newcomers" people treating
                  è me like I'm some sort of wild animal that they
                  è have to be scared of when I walk down the
                  è street.  I could see if I was a thugor criminal,
                  è but too many people as a result of their ignorance
                  è cannot tell the differenceand want to treat me
                  è this way. John

                • J. Thomas
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 2, 2002
                    This thread is starting to piss me off, so I'm going to make this my final post
                    on the subject.  I'm curious why you mentioned 13th Street?  Are you the
                    guy who walks his dog around 13th & Otis?

                    I maybe young, but I'm not stupid, and I've been around long enough to  know when
                    someone is intimidated by my presence.  I been around enough different people
                    to know the look, and the signs.  Man, please don't BS me like that.  I can't be anymore
                    paranoid than the posters who want to build prisons around themselves.  They have
                    the right to do so if they wish.

                    My friends are very diverse in age, race, orientation, and everything else.  You ain't talking to no amateur over here.. I think I know how to extend to others, and how to be receptive when they return the extension.  I also know when someone is reacting because their
                    intimidated by me, and when I haven't done anything to warrant this sort of reaction.

                    If I'm behaving like a wild animal, then perhaps I deserve to be treated like one.  But
                    if I'm not, then I deserve to be treated like a human being.

                    There are bars in the rear of my house, that were there when I moved in.  I admit, that
                    I was a bit nervous when I first moved here from Adams-Morgan three years ago.  The
                    ones on the list who know me, or who've heard me speak at meetings know that I'm pretty easy going, and can very shy at times.  I don't wear stockings, but I do wear a lot of
                    retro attire and I've been told that I talk funny.  I'm not white, but to many people here
                    I'm very much an outsider.  I don't go around harassing people or looking for trouble.

                    Some of these kids and young adults perceived my demeanor as a weakness, and I was
                    harassed when I first moved here also. But I didn't want to send the wrong message to the rest of my neighbors by putting more bars on my windows, or give the people the
                    impression that I was scared of them.  I know all to well how that feels.  I didn't
                    go out and get a big dog either.

                     A lot of "newcomers" are aware of the history with dogs, and
                    the reaction that it gets from hood folk.  I think it's pretty sick that someone would
                    be willing to exploit this painful part of history so that they can feel safe here.

                    I feel sympathy for anyone who is attacked, or being intimidated by someone for
                    no reason.  I quit feeling sorry for them when they have to get a big dog to make
                    themselves feel secure around people that are different from them.

                    Are you kidding me?  You're trying to make me wrong, and excuse these people by saying
                    that they can't control their own dogs?  People who own dogs should know how to control them.  If you threaten me with your guard dog, I'm not going to wait for the police so they can
                    blow it off and tell me it's my own fault that the dog snapped at me.
                     I'm going to do what I
                    need to do to protect myself.  I encourage others to do the same.  If you don't care more
                    about your pet than to make it an attack animal, then why should I care about it if it, even
                    if you are just bluffing with it.

                    John

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 2, 2002
                      You all have me a little confused. I must be missing the code. John's, message
                      refered to fearful newcomers, that use big dogs as intimidators and hid
                      themselves from neighbors behind bars and alarms. I did don't see how his
                      comments apply to someone who as been here 13 years, no dog and minimal use of
                      bars. Is their another issue being discussed here? I take John's word on what he
                      has experienced, nor would it suprise me that a few do that. On the other hand
                      I have seen people use their dogs as ice breakers.

                      Alarms, bars and etc are an individual choice; however, the best move is to have
                      as many good and/or respectful relationships with as many neighbors and others as
                      possible. Not necessarily buddy buddy but friendly and respectful.

                      Marc Fisher's column in today's post does a good job of describing the dynamics
                      underling this thread.

                      William

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 3, 2002
                        OK. The more I read from you the more obvious it is that you make my
                        case for me. You are too cool, intelligent, and righteous for mere
                        humans to understand, trapped as they are by logic and reason. Pity
                        us if you can spare the time? P.S. Are you trying to advance cat
                        ownership? I admit your tactics are a little radical, but they just
                        may work. I think Catwoman (from Batman) might be envious.

                      • J. Thomas
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 3, 2002
                          And you my friend are an asshole.  Just keep you big funky dogs in check
                          and there won't be any problems.
> [...]

                          big dog to
                          > make
                          > themselves feel secure around people that are different from them.
                          >
                          > Are you kidding me?  You're trying to make me wrong, and excuse
                          these people
                          > by saying
                          > that they can't control their own dogs?  People who own dogs should
                          know how
                          > to control them.  If you threaten me with your guard dog, I'm not
                          going to
                          > wait for the police so they can
                          > blow it off and tell me it's my own fault that the dog snapped at
                          me.   I'm
                          > going to do what I
                          > need to do to protect myself.  I encourage others to do the same.
                          If you
                          > don't care more
                          > about your pet than to make it an attack animal, then why should I

                        • swhatleyheery
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 5, 2002
                            First of all, I don't have a dog. Never did. You projected that, and
                            a lot of other things, onto my e-mails. I just found it hard to
                            resist responding to such a delusioned, humorless, self-righteous
                            creature wrapped up in his contradictions, typin' away at his
                            keyboard, mad as hell at them big ol' dawgs. How completely DC: you
                            hallucinate an enemy, and you fight that phony enemy regardless of
                            the facts. I knew you would run out of steam soon and resort to the
                            playground tack of name-calling. Ouch! Takes me back to sixth grade!

                            Service.
                          • Kevin B. Zeese
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 5, 2002
                              Could you please take these personal disputes off the list? This list is busy
                              enough as it is not to waste our time with this nonsense.

                              It would be great if the list manager would change the list set up so that when
                              someone hits reply it went to the individual and not to the list. This is not
                              the first time that messages that are more appropriately personal were sent to
                              the whole list.

                              Kevin

                            • vadoniacrawford@netscape.net
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 5, 2002
                                Excuse Me, What does "How completely DC" mean?...........Val

                                --
                                VADONIA CRAWFORD