RE: [columbia_heights] Grammar School Gang

  • MBarlet
    Message 1 of 58 , Jun 4, 2002
      Lieutenant Gottert,

      While I understand the need to prioritize calls, I think MPD should
      look at it a little differently. Yes, in the "big pic" of the world
      there actions are piety. But... Soon throwing rocks at cars, or at
      people, will lose its thrill. The lack of consequences when it was
      just rock throwing, it is safe to say that a few of them are going to
      progress to the next level to find their thrill. I am not saying that
      all of the kids in question are future ax murders, but �life�s of
      crime� have to start somewhere.

      So while I know you are not in the position to bring such change
      (often it looks as if no one is) crimes like this should not be
      looked at as a low priority, but instead as a higher priority,
      because it is possible that your intervention now will stop you from
      having to intervene when it is a �high priority call�. This is
      called preventive medicine; you cure the small issue before it become
      a bigger one.

      This is just a thought, not meaning to offend, from an ex CHer.

      Mark

      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
    • gwensouth@aol.com
      Message 58 of 58 , Jun 17, 2002
        Thanks...FJ, please read my email response to "Criminals in the Making,
        Attacked my Wife" from Stan. I detailed the rock throwing kids...you'll see
        why I snapped.

        By the way, I'm a black woman...don't know if that makes a difference in
        dealing with bad ass kids. When I lived in New Orleans in the 70's I had to
        use the same language and approach on white kids who didn't want me in the
        neighborhood and thought I wouldn't' respond to them calling me out of my
        name...you know the n-word. Boy, were they in for a surprise. When I got
        done with 'em, they never bothered me again. They spoke in lowered tones and
        called me by my real name, prefixing it with 'Miss.'

        Gwen