Giant Food - UPDATE

  • zupancic3
    Message 1 of 15 , May 3, 2002
      There is some great news regarding the Columbia Heights Giant Food
      super-market.

      Giant's upper management removed the general manager of the Columbia
      Heights store a few weeks ago. The new manager has been making great
      strides in improving the products and services. I would like to
      believe that at least some of these changes are a result of community
      outcry and input. Big Kudos to Giant Food for listening and making a
      change.

      I did not know that management changed until about a week ago, but I
      did notice significant, positive changes in the past few weeks.

      In recent times(3 weeks), the check-out clerks have not been
      insulting, condescending, or rude...AMAZING!!!

      The seasfood department yesterday had more of a variety of fish.
      They had Yellowfin Tuna, Swordfish steak, and a few other types of
      better quality fish. These types of fish were very cheap compared to
      other stores,...so I bought 2 pounds of tuna.

      Anybody else notice changes there lately?
    • lwannemach@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , May 3, 2002
        I sure hope you have an opportunity to tell that to a judge and jury.
      • cspeight@bellatlantic.net
        Message 3 of 15 , May 3, 2002
          The Board of DCCH need to be indicted for their crimes against the community.

          Message 4 of 15 , May 4, 2002
            As I said on the last round on this issue, we need community based
            hearings/townhalls on DCCH as well as other development issues. The goal being to
            be able to clearly and independently evaluate development issues, actions and
            performance. We need a clear data map of how resources are coming into our
            community and how efficiently they are being used. In the long run we need to
            track and produce object performance evaluations on all institutions and their
            operations in Columbia Heights. This way we can pull the record when entities
            come before the community for permits, funding, representation or other support.

            William

          • jconsolla@aol.com
            Message 5 of 15 , May 4, 2002
              William-
              Who, pray tell, is supposed to collate all of this data for a townhall meeting on DCCH and development issues? Will you take the time? Who will keep the records?

              Jean

              Message 6 of 15 , May 4, 2002
                Jean,

                We went through the process mentioned by William in
                regards to development. It was called the community
                charrette.

                The problem is that it was a waste of time. The fix was
                in. Even the mayor so admits when he said the choice was
                made on the basis of local participation - meaning DCCH
                and Mr. Moore got to make the decision.

                The problem wasn't information. It was the political
                decision making. The only redress is when you cast your
                vote.

                Message 7 of 15 , May 4, 2002
                  Jean,

                  It would have to be a collective/group effort. With a central depository for the data. For example if we where to do an abandoned property watch. A person would be given 1 or 2 properties to watch. They would report once a week on the progress they see and email the result to a central location. The cental place would compile the reports into a spread sheet and create reports. And so on.

                  Of course I would take the time or I would not have suggested it.

                  Data would be kept online so that is available to the public. Out ANC should be doing this any way or they end up making decisions for us based on shaky guess and personally feelings. This is in part why our ANC adds to the confusion rather than clarifiing things.

                  In fact we would ask that the DCCH fine be used to support our community data keeping and evaluation effort. This way we can make community decisions based on our data and not just political spin data, based on various agendas or WAGs(wild ass guess). Or good data provided without context or perspective.

                  William

                  .

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 4, 2002
                    Jean,

                    Unfortunately, if we follow Dave's logic then we would have to cancel most ANC
                    meetings, Council Meetings and most elections.

                    David McIntire wrote:

                    > Jean,
                    >
                    > We went through the process mentioned by William in
                    > regards to development. It was called the community
                    > charrette.

                    > The problem is that it was a waste of time. The fix was
                    > in. Even the mayor so admits when he said the choice was
                    > made on the basis of local participation - meaning DCCH
                    > and Mr. Moore got to make the decision.

                    So, let's take our "balls" and go home. I did not get it all my way so, I am
                    going home. And I don't want anybody else to play either.

                    > The problem wasn't information. It was the political
                    > decision making. The only redress is when you cast your
                    > vote.

                    The problem was wide distribution of information, how to make sense of the
                    information. And which values have the highest priority.

                  • phil5516@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 5, 2002
                      I need to add that I too was a member of the "esteemed Board." and resigned before Michael did.  In a nutshell, we don't need the DCCH anymore (if we ever did).  The Board is full of people who don't even live here and they are for the most part a bunch of puppets.  The meetings are a sham.  Disband DCCH.

                      Phil Robey
                    • Richard Layman
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 6, 2002

                        The Center for Neighborhood Technology (Chicago) has a monitoring project that they call the "Neighborhood Early Warning System" (NEWS).  This could be a model for what you are talking about.  (www.cnt.org).  I especially like your suggestion about using fine monies for mitigation, and directing fines to neighborhood support activities.

                        Richard Layman