CDCs Hearing

  • GrahamWOne@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2002
      Dear Friends: Various people have expressed concern about the recent Post articles and editorial on community development corporations. People have also asked me what they can do. Councilmember Brazil, chairman of the Economic Development Committee, has scheduled a hearing for March 14, from 4-6 PM in Council chambers, 1350 Pa. Ave. Room 412. If you would like to testify, please call CM Brazil at 724-8000. Please stay in touch. Bests Jim Graham, Ward One Councilmember

      Please note: I read and answer emails only on weekday mornings, and I typically sign off before 9 AM.  After that time, if you have a more immediate need to contact me, its best you call 724-8181. I return all my own phone calls. Otherwise you are very likely to hear back from me the morning after you send the message. Thanks again.
    • Richard Layman
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2002

        Councilmember Graham,

        While it is important the a council hearing occur on the matter of the CDCs, as you can imagine allocating two hours to this topic is the kind of "in depth City oversight" that has led to the situation we are in today.  It seemingly provides attention while likely providing little if any opportunity for citizens to speak, especially if the CDCs get time to present their stories at the start of the hearing.  That will likely take up most of the time.

        (Recently I testified at a council hearing on alcohol licensing issues, including the legislation to ban single sales, which you have co-authored with Mr. Fenty).  By the time all the people affiliated with the industry spoke, it was hours and hours after the hearing started.  That hearing lasted all day.

        Can you suggest to your colleague that hearings be scheduled for each CDC and/or affected Ward separately?  For example, the people in your ward will need more than 2 hours just to talk about their interests and concerns with regard to DCCH.   And that's just one of at least three CDCs active in your Ward (your constituents may also want to talk about PIC and LEDC as well).

        Please ask Councilmember Brazil to reconsider how this hearing shall be structured and timed.  Thank you.

        Richard Layman