Re: [columbia_heights] New poll for columbia_heights

    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 28 8:35 PM
      Tell me phil5516,

      Whose authority do I need?

      From: phil5516@...
      To: columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 11:26 PM
      Subject: Re: [columbia_heights] New poll for columbia_heights

      and by whose authority are you taking this poll?
    • Caroline Polk
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 1, 2002
        Any member can set up a poll for this list on yahoogroups, right?

        cp

        and by whose authority are you taking this poll?

      • Daniel Costello
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 1, 2002
          Hi,
          yahoogroups is for everyone, for any reason. These
          polls don't need any authority except that of a
          person's interest. Polls are a great way to extract
          information from a sample of people. While the
          community evolves around us, good information is like
          that dumb mastercard commercial - priceless.
          Take Care,
          Dan
          --- Caroline Polk <cpolk@...> wrote:
          > Any member can set up a poll for this list on
          > yahoogroups, right?
          >
          > cp

          http://greetings.yahoo.com
        • Elizabeth McIntire
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 1, 2002
            Caroline,

            Yes, any member of the egroup can create a poll as they can use any of the
            features of the egroup website as I set it up.

            Let me emphasize that the egroup is fully democratic. The only thing I can
            do that others can't is unsubscribe members if they piss me off and that I
            have not done even though I have been sorely tempted. Some time I might have
            to use it, but hopefully in very rare instances. And even there, it is not
            much power because the errant person can just re-subscribe using a different
            email address.

            My conception of the egroup has always been that it is for communication and
            communication about the neighborhood - period. I do have strong opinions
            about certain issues which I have expressed in no uncertain terms but I have
            no way to manipulate the egroup to reflect those opinions other than by the
            persuasiveness of my argument.

            This particular poll came as a result of a nonmember who contacted me and
            wanted me to do an online petition for a particular developer.

            I thought it better that I do a poll that would reflect the full range of
            options for the parcel. So that is what I did.

            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 13 12:12 PM
              Last, I heard we have a Yes! coming to our market at 14th and Florida.

              A co-op is a great idea; however, the square foot costs of DC USA is
              probably to high for a food co-op but other areas north of DC USA may be
              able to support a co-op. The challenge is that higher ups in planning
              have pegged Columbia Heights as condo city. The new comprehensive plan
              is attempting to swipe out our neighborhood commerical areas that could
              support co-ops and other neighborhood oriented retail pegged the market
              to luxury condos, which fetches a higher return for developers. So
              while this area is still zoned mixed use the city is working against us
              in terms of this type of more creative retail use.

              Wholefoods is a good fit for DC USA. Primarily because it will help
              keep it's demographic shopping in CH and surrounding areas like Mt.
              Pleasant shopping instead of heading out to Va. and Md. This also would
              provide these shoppers to support smaller independent retailers in DC
              USA as well those located through out our small commercial districts.
              This is one of the benefits of DC USA to the area, foot traffic to
              support a wider variety of retail. So that our area can support more
              than resturants/bars and clubs.

              William

              columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com wrote:

              >Enter your vote today! A new poll has been created for the
              >columbia_heights group:
              >
              >Would you support a food co-op located in Columbia Heights?
              >
              > o Yes, I would join and shop at a co-op in Columbia Heights
              > o No
              > o No, I would prefer and would shop at Whole Foods
              > o No, I would prefer and shop at Yes!
              >

              >To vote, please visit the following web page:
              >
              >Note: Please do not reply to this message. Poll votes are
              >not collected via email. To vote, you must go to the Yahoo! Groups
              >web site listed above.
              >
              >Thanks!

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Sara Akbar
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 13 12:17 PM
                if anyone wants to check - jair lynch is the developer
                for 14th and florida

                http://mail.yahoo.com

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 24, 2007
                    Where's the poll?  It isn't on the polls link!

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 24, 2007
                      If someone wants to do a poll that seeks to trash a member then first get
                      permission from the moderator. The moderator will first determine who that
                      person is.

                      I am sick of anonymous posters trashing members. That is cowardly. If
                      someone wants to flame (personally attack) a member, then I will ask that
                      person to identify him/herself. If that person does, then the posts will be
                      allowed. If not, then I reserve the right to ban that email address.

                      It is not the flames that are so destructive. It is anonymous flames that
                      are the problem. No more cyber graffiti artists!

                      I removed the poll.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 24, 2007
                        There was much contention over WJ's affect on the list.  This poll gave all list members a quick way to say how they felt he was affecting both the list and the neighborhood which the list is supposed to serve.  His supporters greatly questioned that there were any significant number of people that thought he was destructive to the list or that this was even true.  The poll would allow us to gauge whether this was true in a static way without it getting lost in diatribe.

                        Furthermore the poll was not "cyber graffiti", was objectively created with a full range of commonly stated options, and was not anonymous (my name was right next to it).

                        But it's your list David.  This action makes that quite clear.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 24, 2007
                          So who are you and where do you live? clm_lists is not a name. William is
                          well known.

                          Answer that and I will permit the poll though the poll will tell nothing.

                        • clm_lists@mac.com
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 25, 2007
                            The poll listed my full name right next to it (since it shows the Yahoo account name which the email is linked to, not the email address), so there's no case there.  I also just sent a message in the last day stating what street I live on.  But since your stated requirement is that only those who are attacking or flaming are required to give their full name and address (which is, by the way, very much NOT a smart thing to do on the public Internet), I still don't meet the requirements to do so.

                            Direct quote from your email so that there can be no argument:

                            "The only requirement will be if you "flame", personally attack, a fellow

                            listserv member, then you will be required to say who you are and where you
                            live so that other listserv members will know who you are."

                            And so we are clear on what "flame" means, here is the Webopedia definition:

                            "Flame - (n.) A searing e-mail or newsgroup message in which the writer attacks another participant in overly harsh, and often personal, terms."

                            I have not attacked or flamed anyone in question.  The poll was an objective request for feedback from all members of the board regarding the recent uproar over a particular member and whether they were a positive or negative influence.  That's not an attack or a flame, it's a way to quickly and concisely get the entire boards opinion of the situation, especially important in this case since supporters of that member claimed there was no negative affect or that the number of people who thought so were insignificant (either in numbers or importance).  A poll would show the numbers instead of people speculating.

                            But again, it's your board, Dave.

                            You state you don't mind the poll, then simply repost it yourself exactly as originally created and this will all be done.

                            Colin

                          • soulshadow55@excite.com
                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 5, 2007
                              What constitutes "improvement?"

                              R. Peterson

                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 6, 2007
                                This poll is meant to just get an idea about community support for
                                something like this. Obviosuly there would be a lot of details to
                                be worked out, but the poll wants to see how much basic interest in
                                a well run project like this would be. Improvements could be
                                anything - clean ups, rehabs of parks, security partols, plantings,
                                activity funding, etc. Obviosuly the city is still responsibe for
                                providing city services, but this would be an additional resource.

                                Jason

                                --- In columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com, "" <soulshadow55@...> wrote:

                                > What constitutes "improvement?" R. Peterson--- On Wed 12/05, <
                                columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com > wrote:From: [mailto:
                                columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com]To: columbia_heights@...: 5 Dec
                                2007 19:45:49 -0000Subject: [columbia_heights] New poll for
                                columbia_heights

                                columbia_heights group:Would you support a small(whatever YOU would
                                consider "small) increase in your real estate tax and sales tax in
                                Columbia Heights if the money was dedicated to improving the
                                neighborhood? o Yes! o No! To vote, please visit the following web
                                page:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/columbia_heights/surveys?
                                id=2621916 Note: Please do not reply to this message. Poll votes are

                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 7, 2007
                                  Yeah, this is about gauging the interst in a BID type of arrangement.  There has been talk about reviving the Columbia Heights BID and even a neighborhood NID that would include both businesses and residents.

                                  I agree whole heartedly we don't want this to be a way to "let the city of the hook" for services they are responsible for.  Nor would anyone support this being an entitlement that only benefits some people.  I think it would be best that funds collected be used for things that broadly benefit everyone in the area - safety, cleanliness, lighting, park rehabs, farmer's market support, etc.  Of course we'd have to have broad support, and then create bilaws that define what can be funded and how those decisions are made.

                                  The debate beteween having a BID and NID centers on who would have the most say in decding how to spend the money.  It is easy to image a BID focusing just on 14th street, while a NID more on the neighborhood i.e. side streets too.  Maybe a hybrid that birings together both business and residents who both contribute and both have a say in where and how the funds will be spent would be best.

                                  Jason

                                • columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 11
                                    Enter your vote today! A new poll has been created for the columbia_heights group:
                                    This listserv currently has no moderators. Do you support making list member Peter Orvetti (orvetti1974) the moderator?
                                    Created by: orvetti1974
                                    1. Yes, make orvetti1974 the moderator
                                    2. Make no changes to the ownership of this group

                                    Thanks!

                                  • Cash
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 11
                                      Payment failed
                                      To send or request Cash, please download the app or visit our website.
                                      Sign In
                                      © Square, Inc.  |  About Cash  |  Security