[columbia_heights] moving to Girard playground area

  • makelaspielman@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 1999
      I have just rented an apartment in the building at 2801 15th St.,
      right in front of the infamous Girard St. playground and basketball
      courts. I currently live in Mt. Pleasant and have yet to move in.
      I was supposed to begin tomorrow, but awoke this morning to the
      Washington Post article on two "execution-style" homicides which took
      place over the weekend, literally right outside my new place.
      Needless to say, I am very concerned and wanting some feedback
      from other folks in the neighborhood. How has this area been
      in the past? How much is the Post article an over-emphasis on the
      negative (condeming the whole area as drug-infested)?
      Given that these awful murders were supposedly
      drug-related I don't imagine that I would be a target, personally.
      However I do often work late and would be walking from my car alone
      to the building. I'm used to being conscious and aware of my
      surroundings, walking at night, etc. But if I'm going to be stumbling
      upon drug deals gone bad on a regular basis, I want to know. Any
      feedback or information is welcomed!
    • Dave McIntire
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 31, 1999
        My wife and I have lived in Columbia Heights for over 25 years
        and we have never been caught in a crossfire. I know people who
        have lived here for over 70 years and nothing like that has ever
        happened to them.

        Different places have different risks associated with them.
        Planes fall out of the sky sometimes. Accidents happen on the
        highway. Farmers have tractors roll on them. Skiers run into
        trees. People get killed by demented killers in National Parks.
        John Glenn hurt himself seriously when he fell in his bathtub.

        Living is unsafe. None of us get out alive. I don't think the
        2800 block of 15th is much more or less dangerous than living
        anyplace else. You are much more likely to be injured or killed
        while riding in an auto than going from your residence to you car
        and visa versa.

        Don't be like the person who moved upon hearing that most
        accidents happen to people within a few blocks of their homes.

        Dave McIntire

        Re: