Re: [columbia_heights] Re: 1400 block of Harvard

  • GrahamWOne@aol.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 1, 2001
      Good advice! This coming citizen summit will be an excellent time to raise this issue. Bests Jim

      Please note: I read and answer emails only on weekday mornings, and I typically sign off before 9 AM.  After that time, if you have a more immediate need to contact me, its best you call 724-8181. I return all my own phone calls. Otherwise you are very likely to hear back from me the morning after you send the message. Thanks again.
    • GrahamWOne@aol.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 1, 2001
        Thanks for the report of violence in Columbia Heights. It underscores the need to take immediate steps to restore the police to the PSAs. I have called repeatedly for that action. Last week, I received statistics on the Third District PSA deployments, which were lower than I even imagined. We cannot rely on roving civil disturbance units which 50%of the time are called away to Federal security needs.<p>

        This Saturday is the Mayor's Citizen Summit. You should attend and demand that the police be returned to the neighborhoods. The Federal needs, as important as they are, must be met in some other way, e.g. National Guard, Marines....<p>

        Please stay in touch, Bests Jim Graham, Ward One Councilmember

        Please note: I read and answer emails only on weekday mornings, and I typically sign off before 9 AM.  After that time, if you have a more immediate need to contact me, its best you call 724-8181. I return all my own phone calls. Otherwise you are very likely to hear back from me the morning after you send the message. Thanks again.
      • Rebecca Flowers Schamess
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 1, 2001
          That's scary to think about. Do you think our cops
          have been re-routed? I was wondering that yesterday,
          when I saw the patrol fleet that was following the
          protestors down Columbia Rd. - "Sure hope no one in
          the district needs a cop today!"

          http://phone.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 1, 2001
            Personally I found the last so-called Citizen Summit largely a
            waste of a citizen's time. It was apparent to me that it was a
            corporate and special interest funded way for the mayor to
            promote his agenda and popularity rather than a real effort to
            learn from the citizenry.

            The only thing of note that I found was the gimmicky medium-tech
            "television remote-like" voting apparatus and the excellent food
            table served the first day - including free wine and beer.

            I might drop in to see if they have the same spread. But I don't
            expect to get any more than that from this ersatz exercise in
            voter manipulation.

            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 1, 2001
              Here's the new kid to DC speaking up again. My reply Dave, is to say that it
              is my understanding that only about 3000 people participated last time, though
              I don't have any statistic for how many participated by snail or e-mail. My
              optimistic guess is that if more people participate, the politico game doesn't
              succeed because they are simply outnumbered. So rather than prejudge the
              validity of this summitt, I still encourage everyone to participate in some
              way.

              Sandra

              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 1, 2001
                Sandra,

                I hate to sound cynical - it is really not my nature - but you
                will learn. What possibly could the citizens say of importance
                that the elected officials don't already know?

                Would it be a revelation to learn that citizens want jobs, safe
                streets, good schools, clean neighborhoods, wise spending of tax
                dollars, convenient shopping for basic goods, etc.?

                The problem isn't in the knowing - it is in the doing. Let the
                Mayor spend his time concentrating on that rather than PR for
                re-election financed by special interests.

                Dave

                Sponsor ---------------------~-->
                | FREE COLLEGE MONEY
                | CLICK HERE to search
                | 600,000 scholarships!
                | http://us.click.yahoo.com/Pv4pGD/4m7CAA/ySSFAA/MpOolB/TM
                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Sandra Miller
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 1, 2001
                  Dave,

                  In principle I absolutely agree with you. But it's that same squeeky
                  wheel analogy. If enough people are emphatic and make it clear that
                  they will not vote for sameness, maybe, albeit slowly, we can make
                  change. And one never knows where the prophets of our community will
                  rise up and call us all to right action.

                  And yes, I will learn just how slowly things move in this last of the
                  plantations, but I feel the need to keep my momentum while I still have
                  it.

                  Sandra

                  David McIntire wrote:

                  > Sandra,
                  >
                  > I hate to sound cynical - it is really not my nature - but you
                  > will learn. What possibly could the citizens say of importance
                  > that the elected officials don't already know?
                  >
                  > Would it be a revelation to learn that citizens want jobs, safe
                  > streets, good schools, clean neighborhoods, wise spending of tax
                  > dollars, convenient shopping for basic goods, etc.?
                  >
                  > The problem isn't in the knowing - it is in the doing. Let the
                  > Mayor spend his time concentrating on that rather than PR for
                  > re-election financed by special interests.
                  >
                  > Dave
                • Sandra Miller
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 4, 2001
                    Cassie and all,

                    The home page of the police is:

                    http://mpdc.dc.gov/main.shtm

                    to go directly to the page for information about PSAs in general:

                    http://mpdc.dc.gov/pfp/psateam.shtm

                    to go to the PSA meetings calendar directly:

                    http://mpdc.dc.gov/infor/districts/4th/calendar.shtm

                    Hope that helps.

                    Sandra