Re: [columbia_heights] Pepco vs. Constellation (an Exelon Company)

  • Joel Harder
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 26, 2013
      Constellation is offering 8.88 cents/24 months and a $50 pre-paid card promotion. It sounds like a favorable deal and I appreciate everyone's opinion.

      On Jul 26, 2013, at 3:02 PM, Richard Layman <rlaymandc@...> wrote:

      That story is about "the issue" of fly-by-night operators, not about Constellation, which is a division of the company that owns BGE.  "Legitimate" companies like Constellation and Washington Gas both have divisions that do this type of sales.  We are with WGL.  There is nothing that changes in terms of "service", electricity is fungible and PEPCO still owns the electricity distribution system and distributes electricity to buildings in DC.  In theory, the electricity you get comes from the separate companies, but it's all just fed into the unified system.

      Anyway, you are supposed to get a discount.  According to the stated prices on the PEPCO site, the price we get from Washington Gas Electricity Services is no cheaper.

      http://www.pepco.com/business/choice/dc/rates/default.aspx

      I looked up on some industry website and it said the avg. price per kilowatt hour in DC is 9.3 cents.  That's what you pay to PEPCO, that's what we pay for a 2-year contract with WGES.

      So for anything to be worthwhile, it'd have to be less than that.

      From: dc_gay_man@...
      Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 14:07:02 -0400

      I'd welcome feedback from those that choose (or opted not to choose) switching from Pepco to Constellation. Constellation's promotional material indicates a fixed lower energy supply rate for 24 months. However, I don't know of the downside to making the switch.

      Thanks for any feedback.

    • Sarah Pokempner
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2013

        Continuing is "20 Feet from Stardom" which shines a spotlight on the untold true story of the backup singers behind some of the greatest musical legends of the 21st century. Triumphant and heartbreaking, the film is both a tribute to the unsung voices who brought shape and style to popular music and a reflection on the conflicts, sacrifices and rewards of a career spent harmonizing with others.  These gifted artists span a range of styles, genres and eras of popular music, but each has a uniquely fascinating and personal story to share. The film receives a 97% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and three stars from the Washington Post.

        Also continuing is "Still Mine", an exquisitely crafted and deeply affecting love story about a couple in their twilight years. In his first lead role after decades of playing supporting characters, James Cromwell gives a tour de force performance. Based on true events and laced with wry humor, "Still Mine" tells the heartfelt tale of Craig Morrison who comes up against the system when he sets out to build a suitable house for his ailing wife Irene, played by Geneviève Bujold.  Morrison quickly gets blindsided by local building codes and bureaucratic officials.  Hauled into court and facing jail, Craig takes a final stance against all odds in a truly inspirational story.  "The bond between Craig and Irene is beautifully illuminated by McGowan’s script and by acting that feels rich and real" says Washington Post's Michael 0'Sullivan, giving the film 3 1/2 stars.

        On Wednesday, August 7 at 8:00PM Panorama of Greek Cinema presents "Magic Hour". One of the funniest recent Greek films presents the surrealist side of a personal crisis, and contrasts the beauty of the Greek landscape with the ugliness of the economic crisis. Renos Haralambidis shows off supreme comedic abilities as the failed filmmaker of a hapless duo that embark on a road-trip odyssey to rival those of the Ancient Greeks.

        Please not a date change:  The special screening of “League of Their Own” featuring a Q & A with director Penny Marshall will be held on Thursday, August 29 at 8 pm.  Award-winning sports commentator Christine Brennan will moderate the Q & A.  Tickets can be purchased by visiting the Avalon’s website.

        Opening August 16:  Lee Daniel's The Butler

        On July 1, the Avalon began its elevator installation and Theater 2 lobby renovation project that was
        generously funded by donors to the Avalon Legacy Campaign.  The theater will remain open throughout the project which is expected to take about 3 months to complete.  Check out the Avalon's website for updates on the project.

        For complete information about show times, online purchases, film trailers and to sign up for the Avalon weekly newsletter, visit http://www.theavalon.org

        Sarah Pokempner