MtP Farmers' Market: July 13 - Niçoise with a Twist

  • Mount Pleasant Farmers Market Newsletter
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11 9:45 AM
      Dear Friends of Mount Pleasant Farmers' Market,

      Did you notice? The market exploded with summer produce last Saturday! My only thought at the start of market – “what can I make that celebrates as many of these summer flavors as possible?” My answer – nicoise with a twist. Taking a note from the French salad, I started with a bed of mesculin greens (Truck Patch) lightly tossed in a dressing of olive oil/apple cider vinegar/honey. Atop, I assembled my piles: steamed wax beans and new potatoes (Richfield), halved cherry tomatoes (Quaker Valley), hard boiled duck eggs (Spring Gap Mt. Creamery), and thinly sliced cucumber (Richfield). My one non-market item – the essential tuna. Served with an Atwater baguette. What dishes are you making with the summer bounty? Tell us on our Facebook page!

      EXCITING NEWS – Earth Spring is now offering wholesale boxes of their produce. Place your order by Thursday at 9pm for pick-up on Saturday at the farmers’ market. Check-out their weekly offerings. Limited availability of sweet yellow onions, sweet Italian basil, cabbages, cukes, zukes, and curly kale.

      MARKET EVENTS (9am-1pm)

      • Crafts with the ISH: Get ready to craft! Natalie and Roberto are back with health-inspired kid crafts.
      • Children’s Play Area: We love kids! Make your market trip a family affair. Shop with your young-ones and then relax and play in our kids space. We’ll bring the toys!
      • Mt P Market Buskers: Feel like busking? Come on down! The Lamont Street Deluxe – accordion pair Mara Cherkasky & Rick Nunno join us from 9-11. From 11-1 Steve Fishman with guitar and vocals sings us some blues and R&B.
      • Farmers’ Mkt Bike Clinic: No clinic this week. Can you lend a hand as a bike tinkerer? Email Manager@... to sign-up.

      LOCAL FOODS:

      Earth Spring Farm: Kohlrabi, broccoli, lettuce heads both green and red, redbor kale, toscano kale, curly green kale, red Russian kale, collards, radishes, mustard greens, swiss chard, baby beets, green and gold zukes, straightneck yellow squash, and peas. Carrots, mustard greens, scarlet turnips, and cilantro. Tomatoes from their high tunnel, fava beans, and basil. New this week – green snap beans!

      Spring Gap Mountain Creamery: Penny and her crew have four cheeses for you this week:  West Virginia Blue — wild and wonderful crumbled on a salad or melted on top of a burger; Jersey Gold – smooth and creamy gouda, perfect for snacking or for grilled cheese sandwiches; Shenandoah Sunrise – southern French-style farmstead cheese, great for a cheese plate with bread and fresh fruit; and Farmhouse Feta – aged over two months for a distinct tanginess. Don’t forget your duck eggs! There’s a limited supply (~4 dozen) sold by the half-dozen and they go fast. Come early!

      People’s Bao: Peter has Chinese steamed edamame buns with tender, slow roasted free range pork or duck. And new this season – baked taro chips with edamame purée and creme brûlée made with local farms’ eggs and creme.

      Pleasant Pops Ben will also being serving: Strawberry Ginger Lemonade, Blueberry Pancake, and a very limited edition Blueberry Goat Cheese with local goat cheese from Firefly Farms of Maryland. Also available, Mint Lemonade with local mint from Washington Youth Garden.

      Quaker Valley Orchards: Applesauce and apple butter.  Jams in blueberry, cherry, and strawberry. Honey and popcorn, cherry tomatoes, sugar peas, new potatoes, blueberries, gooseberries, currants, raspberries, green beans, apricots, and lots of peaches!

      Reid’s Orchard: Sweet cherries, sour cherries, red and black raspberries, gooseberries, currants, white and yellow peaches, lodi apples, blueberries and apricots.

      Atwater’s Bread: Naturally leavened, hand shaped loaves like Peasant Wheat, Caraway Rye, Cranberry Pecan, Kalamata Olive, traditional San Francisco Sourdough, Ciabatta, Country White, Jalapeno Cheddar, Spelt, Sunflower Flax, more. Ned Atwater does slow fermentation with carefully tended starters and wild yeast, organic stone ground flour from a family mill in North Carolina. Also yeasted breads like the slightly sweet, traditional Irish Struan bread. Great scones, muffins, cookies, brownies, granola, bagels and delicious soups to take home!

      Groff’s Content Farm – Beef: steaks, short ribs, roasts, jerky, ground beef. Lamb. Most pork cuts. Eggs. Complete raw meat dog food. Tallow soaps.

      Truck Patch Farms – Raspberries, tomatoes, okra, green and wax beans, green and yellow squash, squash blossoms, radishes, arugula, mesculin, baby spinach, kale, collards, swiss chard, beets, eggplant, 3 varieties of cucumbers, and white onions.

      Truck Patch Meat Department – All cuts of pork, like loins and chops, plus ham, bacon, jowl, salt pork, lard and scrapple. Eggs. Whole chickens and fresh chickens parts. Ground turkey and cut up turkey.

      Richfield Farm – Basil, green pepperes, cucumbers, pickling cucumbers, squash and zucchini, new potatoes, green and wax beans, large slicing tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, blueberries, honey, eggplant, corn, blackberries, onions, fennel, beets, and cut flowers. It’s getting hot, so last week for greens! Chance of some cantaloupes this week or next!

      Radius – Garlic pickles, pickled beets, chicken liver pate, smoked chicken salad, pesto, and calzones.

      WildCraft Soda: Nathan joins us with botanical sodas derived from whole wildcrafted ingredients and honey – aromatic and ennobling beverages never from extracts. Learn more about the process and flavors.

      COMMUNITY SPOTLIGHT:

      • Want to know what’s eating your garden? Learn to look for and identify common garden pests in your garden during an informal walk through led by UDC Cooperative Extension Service, Mary Farrah, Thursday July 18 at 6:30pm. Registration is free, but required. Hosted by Neighborhood Farm Initiative.
      • Meet some fellow Washingtonians and enjoy a local lunch at Common Good City Farm every Friday until August 2 at 12:30pm! Local chefs prepare farm produce. Space is limited so RSVP!
      Yours Truly, Karissa
      Market Manager
      www.MtPFM.org
      Mt Pleasant Street Plaza
      Saturdays, 9 am - 1 pm, rain or shine
      Sign up and hang out: Volunteer Calendar!
      facebook.com/MtPFarMar
      twitter.com/MtPFarMar