Noise from Soapy Joes on Georgia Ave.

  • jenniferannefischer
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 18, 2013
      Hi all - I have for years been listening to, and being woken up by, a very loud noise coming from the Soapy Joes dry cleaners (over the 5 years I've lived here, it has operated under three different names) on Georgia Avenue between Irving and Kenyon Sts NW. It is, of course, worse in the spring because my windows are open.

      A year ago, with the help of Jim Graham's office, they built a structure around their outdoor machinery which took care of the loud compressor noise that persisted througout the day and they told me that they were going to repair the other machinery which makes a very loud noise that sounds like a loose fanbelt on a car. Often this noise wakes me up at around 5:45 in the morning, sometimes later. It usually runs for about 20 minutes to a half hour. They have apparently never repaired this machine because it is still making the noise and it regularly wakes me up.

      From my conversations with Soapy Joes, I am apparently the only person complaining about this noise, although I know at least one other neighbor who is also greatly annoyed by it.

      So I've become fed up with dealing with Soapy Joes directly because they are clearly uninterested in being a good neighbor (at one point they told me that if I didn't like noise, I shouldn't live in the city and compared their 30 hour of screeching to a passing police siren). They are well aware of the noise. So I'm now taking my complaints to a broader audience and directly to DCRA.

      If others of you are also frustrated by the noise coming from this dry cleaner, please call DCRA and Jim Graham's office to complain. Please also let me know directly so that possibly we can put some greater pressure on them to respect their residential neighbors.

      Thanks,
    • squidpants
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 23, 2013
        Hi Jennifer and CHers,

        I posted about this on my blog today: http://newcolumbiaheights.blogspot.com/2013/04/noise-from-soapy-joes-laundromat-on.html

        and the owner responded in the comments! Here's his response. Hope this helps!

        Hello,

        My name is Matt Sternberg and I am the owner of Soapy Joe's. I first want to apologize about the issue with the noise. All that noise is from a broken fan belt (similar to when a car has a broken fan belt.) We are in the process of replacing it and it should be fixed by next week at the latest. You will not hear anymore noise from that again.

        If you ever have an issue please feel free to email me or call me personally. My email is Matt@... and my number is 1-888-697-6279 ext 901. Thank you.

        Matt Sternberg
        President
        Soapy Joe's