MtP Farmers' Market: April 6 - Our 10th Season Begins!

  • Mt Pleasant Far Mar Newsletter
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2013
      Dear Mt Pleasant Far Mar Friends,

      Spring is here! …and with it, the start of our 10th market season! So clear your cupboards and join us this Saturday to connect with new and old farmer friends. Need some recipe ideas to use up those unused pantry items? NPR’s Cook Your Cupboard has got you covered. Submit a photo of your kitchen surplus and watch the meal suggestions roll in.

      Keep reading to hear about the new products and fan-favorites our vendors are bringing. We’re so looking forward to being with you Saturday!

      • Mt P Market Buskers: Fan of the hang drum? (if not here’s a preview) Come on down and relax to the hang drum tunes of Charlie Edelman.
      • Children’s Play Area: We love kids! Make your market trip a family affair. Shop with your young-ones and then relax and play in our kids space. We’ll bring the toys!

      New this season! Spring Gap Mountain Creamery: Penny will have four sensational cheeses this week: Jersey Gold – smooth and creamy gouda, perfect for snacking or for grilled cheese sandwiches; Shenandoah Sunrise – southern French-style farmstead cheese, great for a cheese plate with bread and fresh fruit; Sophie’s Select – medium-sharp cloth-wrapped cheddar; Farmhouse Feta – aged five months for a distinct tanginess.

      People’s Bao: Peter has Chinese steamed edamame buns with tender, slow roasted free range pork. And new this season – baked taro chips with edamame purée and creme brûlée made with local farms’ eggs and creme.

      Pleasant Pops: Ben will be serving up four terrific flavors to kick-off the season: Cookies and Cream, Honey Lavender Cream, Strawberry Ginger Lemonade, & Cranberry Apple. *New this season, Pleasant Pops is locally sourcing their lavender from Seven Oaks Lavender Farm of Virginia.

      Quaker Valley Orchards: Apples – Honeycrisp, Fuji, Stayman, and Pink Ladies. Cider, apple chips, sauce and butter.  Tomato sauce, jams in blueberry, strawberry, blackberry and peach. Honey and popcorn.

      Atwater’s Bread: Naturally leavened, hand shaped loaves like Peasant Wheat, Caraway Rye, Cranberry Pecan, Kalamata Olive, traditional San Francisco Sourdough, Ciabatta, Country White, Chili Cheddar, Spelt, Sunflower Flax, more. Ned Atwater does slow fermentation with carefully tended starters and wild yeast, organic stone ground flour from a family mill in North Carolina. Also yeasted breads like the slightly sweet, traditional Irish Struan bread. Great scones, muffins, cookies, brownies, granola, bagels and delicious soups to take home!

      …and don’t forget to visit our other vendors on your shopping trip – Reid Orchard, Truck Patch Farms & Meat Department, and Groff’s Content Farm – for their Spring time delights!

      • Are you someone who has never gardened before? …with a strong desire to learn how? …who has 3 or more hours/week to maintain your veggie garden? Join Neighborhood Farm Initiative for their 5 month Adult Gardening Education Program. Learn more here!
      • After you do your shopping head over to Common Good City Farm on April 13th from 11am – 2pm to celebrate their grand season opening! Come on out to the farm and listen to live bluegrass music, tour the farm, eat delicious food, listen to speakers from the community, take part in a raffle and enjoy lots of fun activities for kids and adults alike! Learn more here.
      Yours Truly, Karissa
      Market Manager
      Mount Pleasant Farmers' Market
      between 17th & Mount Pleasant and Park & Lamont Streets
      Saturdays, 9 am - 1 pm, rain or shine
      Sign up and hang out: Volunteer Calendar!
      email music@... about Music and Entertainment
      email wrenches@... about the Farmers' Market Bike Clinic
      modify your subscription