Liquor License Moratorium - Important Meeting and Petition AGAINST THE MORATORIUM

  • Sharon Dreyfuss
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 14, 2013

      Neighbors -

      ANC2B and 2F have scheduled the promised multi-ANC community forum for Wednesday, March 20th from 7-9pm at the Thurgood Marshall Center (1816 12th St NW). Commissioners from the ANCs which fall within the boundaries of the proposed moratorium zone will be in attendance to listen to community opinions on the issue.

      The meeting format is somewhat unusual, as each person attending will be given one or two minutes to speak about the issue to the ANC Commissioners in attendance.

      You can help us win the fight for a better District simply by attending and saying, "I think the moratorium is a bad idea. I suggest you vote against it." There won't be a vote on the moratorium that night, but it'll let the ANC commissioners know the feelings of the community.

      Most comments on blogs and articles have been against the moratorium, but the opposition is vocal and attends meetings and makes themselves heard.  We need to do the same, or else live with the consequences.  This will be a perfect opportunity for us to demonstrate that the overwhelming majority of affected residents are against the moratorium. For this reason, it is extremely important that as many of you who live in ANCs 1B, 2B, or 2F attend the meeting (if you aren't sure which ANC you live in, send me an email). We can count on every single Shaw-Dupont Citizens Alliance member showing up, as their entire strategy is to give their tiny group the appearance of representing the public at large.

      If you haven't already signed the petition against the Liquor License Moratorium, please sign here:

      http://www.change.org/petitions/no-abc-license-moratorium-for-greater-14th-u-street-midcity-neighborhoods

      Once we get this absurd moratorium behind us we can focus on supporting projects that will improve DC.

      Thank you!

      Sharon Dreyfuss

      resident of 12th Place, NW

    • small axe
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 20, 2013
           No moratorium on liquor licenses will help win the fight for a better DC?
           Hmmmmmm.... does that mean more liquor licenses will be good for a better DC? I don't think so.......... U St and the upper 11th St area have become populated by destination bars. Check 11th St from 1am to 3am from U St to Monroe - many people, (some inebriated, many loud) walking home or to their next drink or their car.
            In my area the little plastic bags left behind by crack heads have been replaced by red and blue plastic cups littered by "respectable people drinking for a better DC".
            More liquor for a better DC? No thank you. Fight for the right to party. (Never mind the neighbors.)