RE: [columbia_heights] Tivoli Theatre Development

  • William H Jordan
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 2, 2001
      On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, MBarlet wrote:

      > William,
      >
      > I have done my best to stay out of this, because we ALL know where
      > ALL people stand. I have not changed my mind therefor I do not feel
      > it is nessesary to add something EVERY SINGLE TIME SOMEONE SAYS
      > SOMETHING (HINT HINT HINT)
      Hey I tried to do the same, but it was getting kind of "thick" so I had to
      take a shovel to it.

      > Given that, I must say....
      > William, there is a whole hell of a lot of land on 14th street to
      > develop, so SAVING the TIVOLI is not holding up development in
      > Columbia Heights. It is holding up the destruction of a theatre, and
      > nothing more. Nothing is stopping anyone to develop the rest of that
      > land. The real issue is that the city choose not to develop 2
      > parcels, and choose a VERY unstable development on a 3rd. I think
      > that the bulk of the HORNING project is fine. I think the GIANT is
      > good (But by no means great, because they are abandoning the other
      > store), and I think that the houses are needed. So who is holding up
      > Development in Columbia Heights? It is not SST.

      Two parcels have been awarded. The Tivoli is not going to be torn down in
      fact it is being partically restored. More than orginally planned. I don't
      think almost 30 years is fast development. Restoring the Tivoli exterior
      and putting something useful inside is pretty good development.

      > Before we tear down or gut the TIVOLI we should fill ALL of the
      > other land that lay in waste. I see not logical reason why we should
      > start at the CORNER of PARK and 14th. We need GOOD development, not
      > fast development.

      This is why we should close this deal and move on.

      > SST has a history that is over 20 years old, and they have not
      > changed the goal. I wish we could say the same for HORNING, and GRID.

      After 20 years I would expect more than phatom plans.

      Viva la Columbia Heights!

      William

      > Viva la Columbia Heights!
      >
      > Mark Barlet

    • MBarlet
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 2, 2001
        I think most of us can say the same when it comes to your posts. Your
        opinion has been NOTED, OVER AND OVER AND OVER, I find is down right
        funny that you would say anything about Daves posts.

        Mark

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • William H Jordan
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 2, 2001
          Birds of a feather...
          Takes one to know one
          Two peas in ...
          :)

          But really, thought you looked forward to my insightful posts :(

          Oh well so it goes on Columbia Heights... But you got to admit your case
          is kind of weak.

          William

          On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, MBarlet wrote:

          > I think most of us can say the same when it comes to your posts. Your
          > opinion has been NOTED, OVER AND OVER AND OVER, I find is down right
          > funny that you would say anything about Daves posts.
          >
          > Mark

        • MBarlet
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 2, 2001
            Weak is...

            Hiring a PR firm to make your sour development easy to handle, that
            is weak.

            Having that PR firm fund a �Community Group� and get us to think it
            is independent, that is weak.

            Allowing the city to do a half ass job, all because you want to see
            certain people get rich off this, that is weak.

            Thinking that GRID would ever fly, that is weak.

            Recopying every message, and adding your 2 cents in, and calling that
            a educated response, that is weak

            Manufacturing people via the web in order to make your support base
            look bigger, that is weak.

            Handing over millions, and not listening to those that supply those
            millions, that is weak.

            Seeing 10 people at the Metro supporting this farce, while over 200
            others were there to protest it, and claiming that this development
            speaks for the people, that is weak.

            Tearing down a theater, without so much as asking the community, that
            is weak.

            I will have more, but I need to go home, feel free to add some if I
            missed anything.