Alcohol Reform Bill Strikes Right Balance

  • Jim Graham
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 10, 2012

      Friends:

      On December 4, the DC Council unanimously passed on first reading the major alcohol reform amendment that I introduced.  Tuesday’s vote followed 5 public hearings and almost 3 years of work.  Final Council approval is scheduled for December 18.

      In the final days before the Council vote, I heard from businesses and residents either that the bill went too far, or not far enough.  In response, I proposed  changes to the bill which the Council approved.  I removed certain limitations on residents’ rights to protest alcohol licenses in their neighborhoods, and amended the bill to establish a firm deadline for the protest process before ABC Board decisions are made.  And the bill we now have moving through the Council, strikes just the right balance.

      The bill resulted from the work of two different task forces which I brought together.  The first was a noise task force, which met from March to December, 2010.  It addressed the issue of noise from bars and clubs.  The group met ten times for a total of more than 30 hours and presented 10 recommendations at the conclusion of its work.

      I then brought together the ABC Working Group from December 2011 to the end of April 2012, which also met ten times for a total of more than 30 hours.  That group developed the 43 recommendations contained in the bill.

      Both task forces included residents and representatives from business, but the majority of each group’s members were ANC and citizens’ association representatives.

      The bill advanced this week by the Council contains some 43 reforms, including-- enhancing  enforcement provisions, authorizing growlers and permitting but does not requiring  Sunday sales by liquor stores.

      Please let me know if there are questions regarding this.

      Bests, Councilmember Jim Graham

      I typically answer emails before 9 AM on weekdays. If you email me after that, it is likely that you will hear from me the next weekday. If there is a need to communicate prior to that, you may wish to call me. For most effective communication, please use my direct email address: jim@...

      Jim Graham, Councilmember, Ward One, 1350 Pa. Ave., NW, #105, Washington, DC 20004. 202-724-8181; 202-724-8109 (fax).

      Chairman, Committee on Human Services (including alcohol regulation). Main Committee Number: 202-724-8191. 1350 Pa. Ave., NW, #116, Washington, DC 20004.

      Website: www.grahamwone.com

    • Rickey Williams
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 30, 2012
        CM Graham,
        Can you send a link or pdf of the bill that was passed on the first reading?  TY.

        Regards,

        Rickey Williams

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 7, 2013

          AM I sending to wrong address?