#SustainableDC: District Proposes Groundbreaking New Construction Codes

  • Barragan, JuanCamilo (EOM)
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2012

      District Proposes Groundbreaking New Construction Codes

      Adoption of 2012 ICC Codes Will Put D.C. at Forefront of Sustainable Building Practices

      Mayor Vincent C. Gray announced today that the District of Columbia has proposed to adopt the 2012 International Code Council (ICC) model construction codes. The codes reflect the most modern, sustainable and energy- and water-efficient building practices.

      The District is also proposing to adopt its first Green Construction Code, which would be mandatory for all commercial projects greater than 10,000 square feet and all multi-family residential construction four stories or larger.  Adoption of the Green Construction Code is a significant step towards meeting the Sustainable DC goals of the District having state-of-the-art sustainable building requirements.

      Additionally, the District is proposing to adopt an Energy Conservation Code, which includes efficiency improvements of up to 30 percent over current District building requirements. This represents the largest single-step efficiency increase in the history of the District of Columbia.

      “The District’s proposed 2013 Construction Codes makes clear our strong commitment to being a national and global leader in sustainable building practices,” said Mayor Gray. My vision for the District is for our buildings to use energy and water far more efficiently – greatly reducing our carbon emissions, conserving our natural resources and helping property owners save substantial amounts of money.”

      The District’s Construction Codes incorporate most of the ICC model codes, which are issued every three years. The District currently uses the 2006 ICC Codes, but last February, Mayor Gray announced that the District would be leapfrogging over the 2009 ICC Codes and moving to review and adopt the 2012 ICC Codes.

      The District’s proposed Construction Codes were drafted by the Construction Codes Coordinating Board, which is housed within the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA) and is composed of experts in the field from the District government and private industry.

      “The Construction Codes Coordinating Board and DCRA staff have conducted dozens of meetings and spent thousands of hours reviewing each provision in the 2012 ICC Codes and ensuring they reflect the best practices that the District should adopt,” said DCRA Director Nicholas Majett. “We are proud of the work they have done and grateful for the benefits these new codes will provide to the District.”

      The 2012 ICC Codes will consist of the International Green Code, the International Energy Conservation Code, the International Building Code, the International Residential Code, the International Property Maintenance Code, the International Fire Code, the International Existing Building Code, the International Mechanical Code, the International Fuel Gas Code, the International Plumbing Code, the International Swimming Pool and Spa Code and the National Electrical Code.

      The District continues to lead in green building practices, alternative transportation, green roofs, renewable energy development and tree planting. The proposed 2013 Construction Codes will be open for public comment and then submitted to the D.C. Council for approval next year.

      For more information on the District’s sustainability plan, Sustainable DC, visit www.sustainable.dc.gov or follow #SustainableDC on Twitter.

      Learn more at
      www.dconefund.org or www.onefund.dc.gov.  One City, Working Together!