MtP Farmers' Market: Dec 8 - 'Tis the Season

  • Mt Pleasant Far Mar Newsletter
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2012
      Dear Mt Pleasant Far Mar Friends,

      NEW:

      It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas in Mount Pleasant. Bring the kids and join in Mount Pleasant Business Association’s annual Holiday Children’s Party! Make an ornament for the community tree, enjoy a puppet show, and await the arrival of Santa Claus and the Three Kings bearing free food and gifts for all MtP children. Festivities begin at the close of market (1pm), so be sure to stick around after your weekly shopping!

      Continue the celebration with our neighbors at Bancroft Elementary between 10am-4pm at the PTA’s annual Holiday Tree Sale. Kids can make their own ornament or a special bird feeder while you shop for the perfect tree, wreath, and tree stand. Grab some hot cocoa and a baked treat and rest easy as your tree is delivered for FREE in the ‘hood!

      And as you plan for your holiday meals, let Truck Patch Farms help! Stop by their meat department on Saturday to place your order for a fresh turkey or send simply send an email with your request to turkey@....

      EVENTS:

      • Children’s Activities: The play area will be closed this week in preparation for the annual Holiday Children’s Party, but an ornament making station and puppet show will be happening during Market hours. Fun for kids of all ages!
      • Mt P Market Buskers: Feel like busking? Come on down! The Lowground Stringband (bass, fiddle, banjo, guitar, dobro) are up first with their foot stomping bluegrass and old time fiddle tunes that’ll go down easy with your local eats. At 11am the Classy ‘n Grassy String-a-long Trio (C’nGSaT) brings 18 strings (guitar, upright bass, and a mandolin) to the table.  Listen to their folk, bluegrass, and rock noise (and kids tunes!) while shopping for your veggies.
      • Farmers’ Market Bike Clinic: Winter has arrived and the bike clinic has gone into hibernation. Keep riding and see you in the spring!

      LOCAL FOODS:

      People’s Bao: Stay warm and full while shopping. Peter has Chinese steamed buns with tender, slow roasted heirloom Berkshire pork shoulder or duck confit or savory mushrooms and market fresh greens.

      Truck Patch Farms: Yellow sweet onions. Orange and purple carrots. Cheddar, romanesco and white cauliflower. Winter squash. Potatoes. Green and purple broccoli. Red beets with greens on. Arugula, kale, collards, mesclun, baby spinach, loose leaf lettuce, bunched red Swiss chard. Italian parsley, cilantro, rosemary, mint and sage.

      Truck Patch Farms Meat Department: All cuts of pork, like loins and chops, plus ham, bacon, jowl, salt pork, lard and scrapple. Eggs. Whole chickens and fresh chickens parts and ground turkey and cut up turkey. And don’t forget to order your ham and fresh turkey for the holidays! (see above)

      Earth Spring Farm: Hardneck garlic. Sweet potatoes and radishes. Red and white turnips. Spinach by the pound, braising greens mix, red and green bok choi, broccoli rabe, Chinese and regular cabbage. Toscano, Winter Bor and Dwarf Siberian kale. Arugula and a few heads of broccoli. Vegetable-rennet based Amish cheese: havarti, cheddars and jacks, in plain and herb flavors, plus goat cheeses in havarti, cheddar, feta and garlic n’ herb.

      Quaker Valley Orchards: Winter squashes – pumpkins, acorn, butternut and spaghetti squash. Bosc Pears. Granny Smith, Fuji, Pink, Honeycrisp, Jonagold, Mutsu, Rome, York, Cameo, Stayman, Candy Crisp and Golden Delicious apples. Orange and white sweet potatoes and potato potatoes. Cider! Peach, blackberry and Fredi’s amazing Strawberry jam, apple butter and sauce, honey.

      Reid Orchard: Asian and Bosc pears. Delicious apple varieties including Gala, Honeycrisp, Gold Delicious, Macoun, Jonagold, Mutsu, Cameo, Albermarle Pippen, Granny Smith and Pink Lady. Cider- Apple, Apple Grape and Cranberry Apple.

      Groff’s Content Farm: Beef: steaks, short ribs, roasts, jerky, ground beef. Lamb. Most pork cuts. Eggs. Complete raw meat dog food. Tallow soaps.

      Richfield Farm: Hardneck garlic, sweet Candy onions, all-purpose potatoes and sweet potatoes. Winter squash: Fairy tale, Long Island Cheese pumpkins and Blue Hubbard. Brussels sprouts on the stalk. Purple and green broccoli, purple, green, white and orange cauliflower, romanesco. Butternut and acorn squash. Autumn greens like curly kale, dino kale, Swiss chard, red and Savoy cabbages, tatsoi, collards, turnip greens. Beets, Purple Top turnips. Dried flower bouquets. Dark golden brown honey.

      Atwater’s Bread: Naturally leavened, hand shaped loaves like Peasant Wheat, Caraway Rye, Cranberry Pecan, Kalamata Olive, traditional San Francisco Sourdough, Ciabatta, Country White, Chili Cheddar, Spelt, Sunflower Flax, more. Ned Atwater does slow fermentation with carefully tended starters and wild yeast, organic stone ground flour from a family mill in North Carolina. Also yeasted breads like the slightly sweet, traditional Irish Struan bread. Great scones, muffins, cookies, brownies, granola, bagels and delicious soups to take home!

      Please bring your own bags for shopping.

      Yours Truly, Karissa
      Market Manager
      Mount Pleasant Farmers' Market
      www.MtPFM.org
      between 17th & Mount Pleasant and Park & Lamont Streets
      Saturdays May 5 - Dec 22 (NEW end date!!), 9 am - 1 pm, rain or shine
      Sign up and hang out: Volunteer Calendar!
      facebook.com/MtPFarMar
      twitter.com/MtPFarMar
      email music@... about Music and Entertainment
      email wrenches@... about the Farmers' Market Bike Clinic
      modify your subscription
    • stephlsack
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 8, 2012
        Loved the music this morning - was there around 11:30, so it must have been the second group. Googled them but can't find anything...do they play in the area much?