Columbia Heights Market - This Saturday

  • Maria Speiser
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2012

      Columbia Heights Community Marketplace
      www.chfestivus.org

      WHEN: Saturday, December 8, from 9:00am to 1:00pm (rain or shine).

      WHERE: Civic plaza at 14th Street and Park Road, NW

      WHY: Delicious, local food, live music, local artists

      NEWS:
      CHCM’s holiday market continues this Saturday

      The final two markets this season will include a “holiday market,” where local artists and artisans will be selling jewelry, paintings, crocheted items, and more unique items. Get your holiday shopping done while you’re picking up your weekly groceries at our marketplace. All items are handmade by Columbia Heights residents, so your special holiday gifts will directly support your local economy. If that doesn’t warm the heart, we don’t know what does.

      Please consider supporting the Columbia Heights Community Marketplace, your very own CHFestivus, via one of these charitable giving campaigns!

      We thank the City and Federal employees who patronize our market. Your donations will support programs like Festibucks – our nutrition assistance program providing thousands of dollars in fresh food to community members – and our Youth Market Garden.

      You can donate to us to strengthen these programs in one of two ways:

      1. The DC One Fund for City employees.
      2. The Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) -- a yearly charitable giving drive for Federal employees. Find out how to donate, and designate to specific charities here . The Columbia Heights Community Marketplace CFC # is 62317(Not eligible to donate via the CFC or One Fund? You can still donate to the Marketplace online, or with cash or checks at the market’s Information Table.)

      AT MARKET THIS WEEK:

      ·         Chelsey Farms boasts lots of winter squash, potatoes, sweet potatoes, apples, celery, jalapenos, collards, apple cider, and more.

      ·         Baked sweet and savory goods from Bonaparte Breads

      ·            Cranberry walnut and pumpkin bread, among others, along with festive jams from Upper Crust Bakery

      ·         Pastured chicken eggs from Twin Post Farm

      ·         Country Vittles from Critter Hill Farm is having a hot dog and top round sale ($8/pack and $6.75/lb, respectively).

      ·         Stachowski’s fine sausages keep well in your freezer, so stock up for winter.

      ·         Homemade salsas, tamales, and more from El Sabor del Taco

      ·         Goldilocks Goodies' gluten-free cinnamon-raisin bread and other goodies.

      ·         Stop by the market's newest addition and try Sam Groh's awesome Original, Chocolate, Blueberry and Sour Cherry "GrohNola" - the small bags make a great stocking stuffer.

      OF NOTE THIS WEEKEND

      ·         Christmas trees are still available from Chesley Farms. C'mon, you know you want one for your home after seeing the lighting of our own Columbia Heights tree last weekend.

      COOKING DEMONSTRATION:

      Community food educator, Ibti Vincent, returns to the marketplace cooking demo station this Saturday to prepare and offer samples of a simple and delicious seasonal dish. What will it be this time? A savory soup? A tasty salad? A hearty risotto? A new twist on quesadillas? Stop by between 10am and 12noon to find out. Get yourself a sample and a copy of the recipe – en español tambien! – then pick up ingredients at the market to make it at home, impressing (and feeding) friends and family with your new found culinary prowess.

      Need other ideas for what to make with your fresh market goodies? Check out seasonal recipes from friends, neighbors, and professional chefs on our BLOG.

      FINE ARTS

      Six artists will showcase their creations, as part of our holiday market.

      ENTERTAINMENT:
      Local musician Liz Fixen returns to the marketplace, this time as part of a keyboard/saxophone duet that will perform from 11am-12noon.

      THANKS:

      We thank Wholesome Wave for sponsoring our Festibucks matching incentives program, which helps recipients of federal nutrition assistance (SNAP, WIC, and Senior "Get Fresh Checks") to buy more fresh, local food than they could with just their benefits. Wholesome Wave also is supporting our Fruit & Vegetable Prescription program.

      We thank Giant Food for sponsoring our entertainment this season and Old School Hardware for its sponsorship of the market.

      We appreciate both Minuteman Press (14th and Meridian) and The UPS Store (14th and Monroe) for offering us discounts on a range of printing and copying services.

      And a big thank you to our market volunteers and Board members. We could NOT do this without you. (Want to become one of our superstar volunteers or Board members? Learn more about volunteering here; learn more about joining the CHCM Board here.)

      Saturday, December 8 from 9 AM to 1 PM (rain or shine)
      Civic plaza @ 14th Street and Kenyon Street, NW

      www.chfestivus.org

      Keep up with the latest on FacebookTwitter, and our blog.