Re: [columbia_heights] U-Turns Across Bicycle Lanes Illegal

  • Joel Harder
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 30, 2012
      All:

      DC is bigger than Amsterdam which has a mature biking culture. To continue to move in this direction, I suspect that most (if not all) bikes are going to have to install a bell on their bike - which is common in Netherlands. It's the most polite way to tell motorists, people and others to get out of the way.

      There are some sidewalks that are wide enough to have a bike lane - removing it from the road. There should be a pilot for these opportunities. I wonder what people thinks about that.

      My dutch friends indicate that the dutch just run right into people to reinforce the bike lane parameters (just saying).

      Joel

      On Nov 29, 2012, at 8:00 PM, Rickey Williams <celine_belts@...> wrote:

      My thing is that cars blocking the bike lanes cause danger for the cyclist because they swerve into on coming traffic. As a bus rider, I have seen many a day how the cyclist swerves into the path of a bus to avoid the standing car. Also, the standing cars cause traffic delays.

      Unfortunately, we have elected to live in this very tiny city called Washington, DC. Furthermore, we have also elected to live in Columbia Heights or points north. Therefore it is imperative that we all follow the rules laid out by our elected leadership and corresponding agencies that we have an orderly society and interaction with one another. Cyclists swerving into traffic is not orderly. Usually, I simply take pictures of the plate and car during the infarction and send off to parking enforcement with the time and date that a ticket may be issued (or at least warning). If this displeases, ppl have all rights to petition the legislature (namely CM Graham) to change the traffic laws. Or simply they can simply stop blocking either the bike or traffic lanes altogether.

      Regards,

      Rickey Williams, Jr.