pls stop immigration profiling by homeland security in columbia heights

  • Shaune Gokey
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 26, 2012
      Dear Councilman,

      I'm hopeful you can help put a stop to this harassment that's
      occurring at our playgrounds and in our community.

      Over the last ~2 mos Homeland Security/ICE have been questioning
      nannies AT playgrounds in Columbia Heights (Girard St Park 14th /
      Monroe 11st Park -- "Trolley Park"). There are 2 SUVs that sit near
      the parks, black Escalade /black Suburban (w/4 African American women
      seated in the SUVs). In some cases the women in the SUVs get out and
      question the nannies at the park (IN FRONT of children) -- and in
      other cases they FOLLOW the nannies home from the park and question
      them on the street (also in front of children). They question only the
      minority nannies -- and seem to approach them randomly.

      In one case, a woman began questioning a nanny AT the park on Girard
      St -- pretending she was interested in securing nanny employment,
      asking how this nanny secured her job. The nanny explained to her that
      she got her job via an agency and earnestly offered to help the woman
      and provide the agency phone number. Later, as the nanny was leaving
      the park with the two children she was caring for, the same woman,
      approached the same nanny and showed her badge indicating she was with
      Homeland Security and demanded her name, address, and other
      information.

      In another example, a nanny left Trolley Park, an SUV followed her for
      a few blocks. Then pulled in front of her as she was walking down the
      street with the stroller-- then a woman got out, began calling her
      ma'am repeatedly trying to get her attention -- then asked her how she
      got her job.

      In one case, after questioning a nanny, the nanny was arrested (14th
      and Girard).

      I don't know the nanny who was arrested but I do know the other two
      nannies well-- and I can say with certainty they were unjustly and
      randomly harassed.

      As a mother, I don't like how our federal gov't is enforcing their
      power in front of our children -- and as a community member, I don't
      like the fear that's being instilled in our neighborhood. I don't like
      our nannies / members of our community being profiled, followed, and
      harassed -- in front of our young children. WHILE they are working.

      Of course, I don't have context for why this is happening. This seems
      like another case of the fed gov't displaying their power in our
      neighborhood out of convenience -- with no real motive or strategy --
      just under the umbrella of the "Secure Communities Act".

      I would like this to stop. What can you do to help?

      What can I do as a community member to stop this egregious harassment
      that's occurring in front of our children?

      Thank you

      Shaune@...
    • Jim Graham
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 28, 2012
        Thanks, this is strange. May I use this email with MPD?

        I typically answer emails before 9 AM on weekdays. If you email me after that, it is likely that you will hear from me the next weekday. If there is a need to communicate prior to that, you may wish to call me. For most effective communication, please use my direct email address: jim@...

        Jim Graham, Councilmember, Ward One, 1350 Pa. Ave., NW, #105, Washington, DC 20004. 202-724-8181; 202-724-8109 (fax).

        Chairman, Committee on Human Services (including alcohol regulation). Main Committee Number: 202-724-8191. 1350 Pa. Ave., NW, #116, Washington, DC 20004.

[...]

      • Kucik, George (MPD)
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 28, 2012
          Councilmember Graham:

          I have forwarded this to Commander Kishter for his information, as he is in charge of the Third District. That said, MPD does not deploy or assist with the type of operation or tactics described.

          George Kucik
          Commander
          Metropolitan Police Department
          Criminal Investigations Division
          (202) 497-1415

          Help 9-1-1 Save Your Life!
          Create a free Safety Profile to provide critical, lifesaving data to 9-1-1 in the event of an emergency call today at www.smart911.com.
          Inform first responders in advance!

[...]

        • Groomes, Diane (MPD)
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 28, 2012
            Thanks george this was forwarded to us by director olivas ...and the federal agencies contacted for mpd is not doing such stops or operations

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 28, 2012
              If the MPD nor the 'federal agencies contacted for MPD' aren't using these tactics then it begs the question: Who is? Who is prowling around playgrounds, hopping out of black SUVs and questioning nannies?
              If one of the nannies was arrested, who arrested her and where is she being detained?

              The fact that the authorities don't seem to know anything about this and claim no responsibility is very disturbing. These women appear to be illegally profiled, questioned and harassed.

              Mike Henry

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 28, 2012
                Thank you for your follow up -- I appreciate your attention to this important matter.

                As a mom in the community, please let me know if there's anything I can do and if there's any other details I could provide.

                --The SUVs were first noticed 1st week of October... and has continued through last TUESDAY AT 5PM - when a nanny was followed home from the park and questioned on Girard Street.

                --Incidents involved four African American women associated with TWO black SUVs --  ONE of the woman did the questioning and was plain clothed-- she is African American, early-50s -- my nanny friend said the woman showed her a "homeland security badge" as she was being questioned.

                Thank you for your follow up, Shaune

                On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Kishter, Jacob (MPD) <jacob.kishter@...> wrote:
                That's exactly why we are trying to determine who it is.

                Commander Jacob Kishter
                Metropolitan Police Department
                Third District
                1620 V St, NW
                Wash. DC 20009
                Office 202-671-6600
                Cell 202-528-8612
                Ironman Finisher

                Helpful Safety Tips: http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1237,q,542013,mpdcNav_GID,1523,mpdcNav,%7C.asp

                Domestic Violence Information: http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1232,q,541110,mpdcNav_GID,1523,mpdcNav,%7C31417%7C.asp

                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 28, 2012
                  Yes, thank you, Cmdr Kishter. I appreciate the MPD looking into this. I wasn't trying to imply inaction, just conveying how much these incidents bother me — and how important it is to all of us that we get to the bottom of it.

                  Thank you for your efforts,
                  Mike Henry

[...]

                • Genevieve Martinez
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 28, 2012
                    Thanks MPD for looking into this. As a mom, a Latina and user of the parks I feel outraged about this harassment. Several of my nanny friends are worried and have asked me about the best way to act if approached. What rights do they have to give or withhold information? Do they HAVE to talk to them? None of them want to get in trouble but some do not speak English and all feel very intimidated. Any help and advice would be appreciated. I think I speak on behalf of the community parents that Columbia Heights celebrates diversity and want to make sure all residents, visitors and our loving caregivers are well protected and respected.

                    Regards,
                    Genevieve

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 28, 2012
                      Take photos of the car and these women. They need to be both exposed and accountable.

                      Sent from my iPad

                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 28, 2012
                          Second the thanks to MPD for looking into this distressing situation. Has anyone managed to get a license plate #no for either SUV? Do these incidents happen at particular times? My kids and their classmates used to meet in the Girard St. park after school, and I believe parents have kept the get-togethers going.
                          Perhaps one of them has seen these two women in action.

                          Mary

                          Mary Lord

                          To: columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 29, 2012
                            Sounds to me like these (ICE) ladies are running a scam of some sort and no one has taken the bait. I wonder if it's not targeting the nannies but their employers and where they live.

                            Or this story is exaggerated. This is DC. If ICE was going to profile, the last place would be the play yard.