Re: [columbia_heights] Expanded Closing Hours for Bars?-- Public Hearing, Tuesday, April 17, 5:00 p.m

  • Mike Henry
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 4 7:07 AM
      "and adding speed cameras that catch you if you're speeding through the GREEN"

      This made me chuckle. You're still *speeding* though, right? Regardless of what color the light is?
      I see people complain about speed cameras on various list serv and blogs, but mostly about how they got caught and how it sucks because they got caught. I agree cameras can be a pain, but speeding is speeding, right? If they're unconstitutional or somehow unethical or unfair is another question, but I rarely see people complain on that basis.

      On topic: I agree that we don't need to have people roaming the streets, drunk at 4am.

      Mike

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 4 8:02 AM
        A couple questions about the proposal. Would this impact the whole city or just Columbia Heights? And regardless, would our ANC still have the power to set up voluntary agreements with bars for shorter hours? Finally, where can I see a copy of the proposal?

        I'm not really sure this is a good idea, but as long as we as a community maintain some ability to constrain bar hours within our borders, I'm not sure I have strong objections to letting other communities lengthen them. I don't want to live on Columbia Road, but many people do and enjoy it.

        I'm open to arguments to the contrary. My opinion here is half-formed at best.

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 4 12:16 PM
            Sylvia:

            I'm confused. Describe the new/increased human and financial resource burden. The proposal is 365 hours/1 year.

            Joel

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 4 2:52 PM

              The ANC has great weight in these matters and can setup Voluntary Agreements.  However, if there is no real standard or precedent being set by the ANC and the ABC Board begins to lean more toward establishments it's not so clear cut.  Right now the process in Columbia Heights is very subjective.  You should have seen the political and social bullying, anti-community behavior in play when it came to Margot's Chair on 11th St.., this from Council Members.  This just to prevent and honest discussion of appropriate hours for the area.

              Dear PoPville – Small minority opposed to Margot’s Chair schedules meeting w/ Mayor’s Outreach Office

              http://www.princeofpetworth.com/2011/06/dear-popville-small-minority-opposed-to-margots-chair-plan-schedules-meeting-w-mayors-outreach-office/

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 4 6:34 PM
                A lot of people talk about voluntary agreements. Can someone fill me in on exactly what's "voluntary" about one? Is it that the establishment owner has a choice between selling alcohol and going out of business?