Garbage collection in Girard Street Park??

  • jarvisk1
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 4, 2012
      Good morning everyone,

      Who is in charge of the garbage collection at Girard Street Park? The garbage collected for so long that it is now scattered all over the park. This morning, someone emptied the bags but left piles of trash everywhere. I have called 311 three times in the past week just to request pickup of the trash, which is constantly overflowing. DPW said to me "We don't do parks." Parks was largely unresponsive. The trash in the park desperately needs cleaning up and regular pickup. Is there anything that can be done to get it on a regular trash pickup schedule? Kids play there constantly, and it seems like a health hazard to have so much trash, especially food trash, scattered throughout the park.

      If there's anything I can do to help or someone I can call, please let me know!

      Thank you,
      Kristen Johnson
    • Darren Jones
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 2012
        Send your email to the following DPR officials and they'll respond to your request. You and your neighbors should keep this contact information for future reference.

        Jesus Aguirre - jesus.aguirre@...
        Bridget Stesney - Bridget.Stesney@...

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 5, 2012
          Kristen and others,

          While we wait for the response of official garbage collectors -- hopefully for not too long! -- some people from our church community will be doing some trash pick-up on Friday at 6pm @ Girard St Park/Playground. You and other neighbors are more than welcome to join us!

          Duke

          --- In columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com, "jarvisk1" <kristenmj@...> wrote:

          > Good morning everyone,
          >
          > Who is in charge of the garbage collection at Girard Street Park? The garbage collected for so long that it is now scattered all over the park. This morning, someone emptied the bags but left piles of trash everywhere. I have called 311 three times in the past week just to request pickup of the trash, which is constantly overflowing. DPW said to me "We don't do parks." Parks was largely unresponsive. The trash in the park desperately needs cleaning up and regular pickup. Is there anything that can be done to get it on a regular trash pickup schedule? Kids play there constantly, and it seems like a health hazard to have so much trash, especially food trash, scattered throughout the park.
          >
          > If there's anything I can do to help or someone I can call, please let me know!
          >
          > Thank you,
          > Kristen Johnson

        • N F
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 5, 2012
            DPR also didn't pick up trash on the 2300 block of 15th on Tuesday. Yet they magically got the recycling! It has happened a few times in the last year and is very annoying.

            I recognize they don't have the most glamorous jobs but it is an essential public service and to have them just not do things (versus give us a heads up or warning) is ridiculous. Plus we all go through the trouble of neatly packaging it in approved bins and setting it out just for them to not pick it up.

            Anyway, I'm just ranting at this point but it really, really irks me.
            -Nick