MtP Farmers' Market: Nov 6 - Using Cider

  • Rebbie Higgins - Mount Pleasant Farmers'
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2010
      Dear Columbia Heights Friends and Neighbors,

      We’re winding down to the last few weeks of market! Our last market is Saturday, November 20th: in case you haven’t heard my spiel, market always runs until the last Saturday before Thanksgiving because you want to shop for the big meal, and then you don’t want to eat again until we re-open on the first Saturday of May (May 7, 2011 for next year). Time to submit your complaints and suggestions for me to brood on over the winter!

      Recipe to try this week: AppleBread Pudding with Hard Cider Sauce sounds like a great brunch dessert offering, with super seasonal apples, apple cider and dried apples from market! Use any old bread, don’t bother buying raisin bread unless you like it anyway. And substitute apple cider and a splash of bourbon for the hard cider!

      Thinking about a chest freezer for stocking up on meat this year? Ask Julie at Groff’s Content about winter deliveries, or save a bunch on getting a whole or half animal from Bryan at Truck Patch and stashing it. I’m looking at this 3.6 cubic foot Danby, though I’d like to hear your opinions!

      Melissa Running is back with their truly wonderful folk music – last time they brought a nyckleharpa! Who knows what they will wow us with this time…probably fingerless gloves at the least! Later, we’ll have Anne Bowles and Stephanie D’Souza playing for us.

      DC Language Access Coalition (DCLAC) is a community based, Mt Pleasant non-profit that works with and for limited-English/non-English-proficient residents of the District. They will be at market to spread the word about language access rights and other useful information for DC’s immigrant population (ESL class schedules, health care services, finding housing, etc.) primarily based in Ward 1.

      Farmers’ Market Bike Clinic: Tent, tools, pump, stand, and helpful neighbors who would love to talk to you about how easy and fun winter riding is! Get your bike lubed up and tuned for the coming cold, and chat about how to stay warm.

      Warm and Fuzzies: Speaking of warm, you need the knit and crochet clinic right now to show you how to whip up some fingerless gloves and custom biking leg and arm warmers. Friend them at their Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/warmandfuzzies to stay in the loop on when the next beer friendly knitting circle is being held.

      Local Foods:
      Pleasant Pops: Our darlings of the market are entering early hibernation – thanks so much for your support on these last few chilly Saturdays, but we know you really want hot cider now. Visit their website at http://www.pleasantpops.com/ to sign up for updates, find out about winter catering (hmmm…popsicles at the office Xmas party this year?), and view their absolutely adorable graphics.

      Adelante Co-op: Grilled meats for platos and tacos, plus rice con gandules or casamiento, and market salad. Local ingredients used where possible, pastured, humane, sustainably raised meat from Truck Patch Farms.

      Quaker Valley Orchards: The English walnuts have been my savior this week – cracking nuts has been the only thing sufficiently compelling to distract Huck from trying to open every single one of his 300 trick or treated lollipops. More beautiful, tasty pumpkins to adorn your sideboard with names like Speckled Hound, Cinderella, Fairy Tale, Jarrahdale, Long Island Cheese, Peanut and Baby Pam. Plus the winter squashes: acorn, butternut, kabocha, spaghetti and turban. White and orange sweet potatoes. York Imperials, Candycrisp, Granny Smith, Fuji, Honeycrisp, Stayman and more. Potatoes and onions. Cider. Stock up on jams that breathe summer when you pop the jar, like strawberry, red raspberry, blackberry, peach, blueberry and tart cherry. Tomato sauce, applesauce, honey and apple butter.

      Reid Orchard: The last round of new heirloom apples are in: Golden Russet is my new favorite, tastes like perfume. Or rather, like how perfume smells, seeing as how perfume tastes awful. There are something like 40 other varieties for you to sample and fall in love with. Some Concord Grapes and maybe some Catawba grapes. Jam: Blackberry Peach, Blackberry, Spiced Plum, Blueberry and Peach. Apple Butter and Apple Sauce. UV treated Apple, Apple Grape, and Apple Cherry Ciders, regular heat pasteurized Apple Cider.

      Groff’s Content Farm: Family farm raises 100% grass-fed and -finished lamb and beef on organic fields, pastured Berkshire pork, beautiful pastured eggs and chickens, whole, cut up or smoked. Dog treats. Ground beef, steaks, big sausages. Soap made from their own beef tallow. Pre-order any cut-up, frozen chicken with Julie at jtbolton1958@.... Thanksgiving order information coming soon…perhaps consider a duck this year!

      Smallwood’s Veggieporium: Pac Choi, Red Russian kale, spinach and Swiss chard. Beets and turnips with greens. Arugula and Encore salad mixes. Winter squashes and pumpkins. Hot and sweet bell peppers. Baby beets and Japanese salad turnips.

      Truck Patch Farms: Maybe some Brussels sprouts. Broccoli and white and orange cauliflower. Heirloom tomatoes, hot peppers, and sweet peppers. Green peppers and green tomatoes. Yukon Gold and good white storage potatoes. Sweet potatoes. White, yellow and red onions. Radishes, beets and baby beets with greens, baby carrots. Salad mix, arugula, spinach, Swiss chard, curly kale. Winter squash: peanut pumpkin, turbans, butternut, neck and acorn squash. Cilantro, mint, chives, garlic chives, sage, thyme, rosemary.

      Truck Patch Farms Meat Department: Eggs, pork, beef and poultry. Fresh whole and frozen cut up chickens. Please pre-order any chicken at order@.... Ground beef and patties, ground pork, loose sausage. Sausages: Polish sausage, sage, celery, applewurst, country hot, sweet and hot Italian, kielbasa, bratwurst. Steaks, chops and tenderloins, spare ribs, baby back ribs, pork shoulder. Breakfast sausage and bacon. Get your orders in for stocking up on winter beef and pork and for Thanksgiving turkeys and capons!

      Richfield Farm: Tatsoi, broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage. Collards, tender greens, swiss chard. Tomatoes, corn, okra, eggplants, hot and sweet peppers, summer squash, beans. Acorn and butternut squash and Jack o’ Lanterns. Cut flowers.

      Cherry Glen Goat Cheese Company: Handmade, artisanal goat cheese. Fresh chevre and ricotta cheese and delicious crottins and brie-like wedges of creamy, soft-ripened cheese.

      Atwater Bread: Organic sourdough and yeasted breads: Peasant Wheat, Caraway Rye, Cranberry Pecan, Kalamata Olive, traditional San Francisco Sourdough, Ciabatta, Country White, Chili Cheddar, Spelt, Sunflower Flax, and more. Brownies, cookies, scones, muffins, and several flavors of granola.

      Panorama Bakery: Baguettes, croissants, pain au chocolat, mini ciabattas, sliced loaves, danishes, sticky buns, apple turnovers.

      Please bring your own bags for shopping.

      Yours Truly, Mrs. Higgins
      Market Director
      Mount Pleasant Farmers' Market
      www.MtPFM.org
      between 17th & Mount Pleasant and Park & Lamont Streets
      Saturdays May 1 - Nov 20, 9 am - 1 pm, rain or shine
      Wanna volunteer? Check out the VolunteerCalendar!
      Into Facebook? Like us at our MountPleasant Farmers' Market DC.
      Or Twitter?
      email Gabe at music@... about Music and Entertainment
      email Kristin at wrenches@... about the Farmers' Market Bike Clinic
      modifyyour subscription