MtP Farmers' Market: Oct 9 - Fall Menus

  • Rebbie Higgins - Mount Pleasant Farmers M
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2010
      Dear Columbia Heights Friends and Neighbors,

      I love when I manage to get a weekly menu hammered out that matches up with exactly what I brought home from market:

      Roasted Cauliflower ala Juliet: my sister’s knockout treatment is simple and so delicious you’ll wish you’d bought two of those enormous heads! Cut the cauliflower into medium florets, drizzle with olive oil and salt, arrange heads-up in an oven-proof pan, pour on a generous amount of heavy cream, sprinkle with fresh minced garlic, feta cheese, kalamatas and/or capers, lay a small anchovy fillet on each floret, grind on black pepper and a dusting of cayenne if your roommates aren’t wimps about heat. Roast for 20 minutes at 425, sprinkle with chopped parsley. I served it with freshly cranked roast pumpkin pasta.

      Roast Pumpkin Pasta: if you’re not cranking your own pasta already, come find me at market and I’ll give you a pep-talk on how awesomely stupidly easy and fun it is. I roasted one of Quaker Valley Orchard’s pie pumpkins for a super yummy pie, but stole a glop of it to throw in my pasta dough (usually 3 c flour + 4 eggs, some salt and olive oil, but reduce the eggs to account for the pumpkin’s wetness…or leave out the eggs altogether and use water, it doesn’t seem to make a difference).

      I can’t believe I made Gumbo! With okra, tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, andouille sausage, chicken and the chicken stock I made from the chicken all from our market. Next round, I would sub celeriac (aka celery root) for celery, which Truck Patch Farms will have next week along with the other cool weather crops, and I found garlic at the Brookland Farmers’ Market (Tuesdays from 4-7 next to the Metro) which runs for another couple weeks.

      Speaking of cool weather crops, Roasted Broccoli will change your whole worldview on the vegetable: toss in olive oil and salt, roast for 20 minutes at 425, toss with lemon zest and a little lemon juice. I left out the parmesan cheese and it was still amazing and vegan friendly.

      Events at market:
      Dahlia’s Nutrition Counseling: Neighbor and integrative health student Dahlia Shaaban will be on the bandstand answering questions and giving tours of the market with health and medicinal insight into the seasonal offerings! Dahlia is the founder of BellySatva, a holistic health practice that combines holistic nutrition counseling, yoga, and Thai yoga therapy to create paths that are indulgent, inspired, and intuitive.

      We have a wonderful couple of sets of that Market sound, starting with country folk love from Lauren Knapp followed by rousing Irish music with Jacob and Friends!

      Farmers’ Market Bike Clinic: Tent, tools, pump, stand, and helpful neighbors who drag themselves out of bed at some ungodly MtP hour (like 10) to help you get your steed back in sweet running order. Prior to volunteers showing up, feel free to use the equipment there and ask around for help, even I can get you started on an inner tube repair.

      Warm and Fuzzies: Knit and crochet clinic to get you into a Fall project or help you through a weird spot or show you a new pattern! Check ‘em out on FaceBook at http://www.facebook.com/warmandfuzzies.

      Local Foods:
      Pleasant Pops: Sweet Corn & Cream, Watermelon Mint and Apple Cinnamon. We have a gorgeous weekend in store, and I’m thrilled with their creative use of local ingredients!

      Adelante Co-op: Vegetarian, chicken, chorizo, steak, and carnitas (pork) tacos. Burritos with Juan Carlos’ Mexican grandma’s sauce recipe! Special Latino plate this week: rice (con gandules or casamiento), market salad, Salvadoran chorizo, steak AND a piece of chicken. Local ingredients used where possible, pastured, humane, sustainably raised meat from Truck Patch Farms. This week, Adelante will be joined by a new vendor selling pupusas and handmade tortillas.

      Reid Orchard: Try out some heirloom apples: Harrelson, Famuese Snow, Gilpen, or Smokehouse, plus Ambrosia, McIntosh, McCoun, Ida Red, Northern Spy, Gala, Delicious, Yataka, Stayman, Mutsu, more. Concord grapes. Jam: Blackberry Peach, Blackberry, Spiced Plum, Blueberry and Peach. Apple Butter and Apple Sauce. UV treated Apple, Apple Grape, and Apple Cherry Ciders, regular heat pasteurized Apple Cider.

      Groff’s Content Farm: Plenty of fresh chicken! Ducks require a different plucking machine, so they’ll process them next week. Pre-order with Julie at jtbolton1958@.... Family farm raises 100% grass-fed and -finished lamb and beef on organic fields, pastured Berkshire pork, beautiful pastured eggs and chickens, whole, cut up or smoked. Dog treats. Ground beef, steaks, big sausages. Soap made from their own beef tallow.

      Quaker Valley Orchards: Jack o’ Lantern and eating pumpkins. White and orange sweet potatoes. Bosc pears are the ones you want to poach or bake. Acorn and butternut winter squashes, Baby Pam pie pumpkins are very sweet, and spaghetti squashes. New apples this week are Nittany and Jonagold. A few grapes left. Red potatoes and onions. Cider, jams (strawberry, red raspberry, blackberry, peach, blueberry and tart cherry), tomato sauce, applesauce, and apple butter.

      Smallwood’s Veggieporium: Winter squash in spades: delicate Japanese kabocha (you can eat the skin!), pumpkins (for eating and decor), acorn, delicata, Thelma Sanders Sweet Potato squash, calabash. Chinese and Indian bitter melons, hot peppers, bell peppers, okra. Radishes, beets with greens and hakurei turnips. Spinach, arugula, wild watercress and mesclun mix. Basil, thyme, sage, oregano and mint. Fresh eggs.

      Truck Patch Farms: The chill is knocking down the summer crops: a few more heirloom tomatoes, eggplants and okra. Hot peppers, sweet peppers. Winter squash: stupendously ugly peanut pumpkin, turbans, butternut, neck and acorn squash. Green beans, radishes, beets, baby carrots. Salad mix, arugula, a little spinach and Swiss chard. Cilantro and basil, mint, chives, rosemary. Basil will be done soon so now’s your last chance to put some up as freezer pesto. Bryan’s going to bring the trailer-load of Jack-o-Lantern again!

      Truck Patch Farms Meat Department: Eggs, pork, beef and poultry. Frozen chicken breasts and wings. Please pre-order any chicken at order@.... Ground beef and patties, ground pork, loose sausage. Sausages: Polish sausage, sage, celery, applewurst, country hot, mild and hot Italian, sweet Italian with fennel, kielbasa, bratwurst. Steaks, chops and tenderloins, spare ribs, baby back ribs, pork shoulder. Breakfast sausage and bacon.

      Richfield Farm: Broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage. Tomatoes, corn, okra, eggplants, hot and sweet peppers, beans, greens, and cut flowers.

      Cherry Glen Goat Cheese Company: Handmade, artisanal goat cheese. Fresh chevre and ricotta cheese and delicious crottins and brie-like wedges of creamy, soft-ripened cheese.

      Atwater Bread: Organic sourdough and yeasted breads: Peasant Wheat, Caraway Rye, Cranberry Pecan, Kalamata Olive, traditional San Francisco Sourdough, Ciabatta, Country White, Chili Cheddar, Spelt, Sunflower Flax, and more. Brownies, cookies, scones, muffins, and several flavors of granola.

      Panorama Bakery: Baguettes, croissants, pain au chocolat, mini ciabattas, sliced loaves, danishes, sticky buns, apple turnovers.

      Please bring your own bags for shopping.

      Yours Truly, Mrs. Higgins
      Market Director
      Mount Pleasant Farmers' Market
      www.MtPFM.org
      between 17th & Mount Pleasant and Park & Lamont Streets
      Saturdays May 1 - Nov 20, 9 am - 1 pm, rain or shine
      Wanna volunteer? Check out the Volunteer Calendar!
      Into Facebook? Like us at our Mount Pleasant Farmers' Market DC.
      Or Twitter?
      email Gabe at music@... about Music and Entertainment
      email Kristin at wrenches@... about the Farmers' Market Bike Clinic
      modify your subscription