Graham fights to keep Yellow Line service to U St, Col Hts & GA Ave

  • Jim Graham
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2010

      Dear Friends:

      I am opposed to the elimination of Metrorail Yellow Line service from the Convention Center through Ward 1 to Fort Totten. As a Metro Board member I voted against the proposal that includes this cut and I will do everything possible to keep the Yellow Line service.

      I was the original author of this Yellow Line extension and led the successful effort to make it part of the permanent regional system.

      This has been a tremendously successful service.  As of February 2009, Columbia Heights had the fastest ridership growth of any Metro station, and U Street Cardozo was the 5th fastest.  This is no time to cut service.

      Make no mistake, Metro has a large budget gap and must consider some service adjustments and fare increases -- but the proposals at public hearings this week include many options (such as the yellow line cut) that I do not support.  I don’t see any reason for bringing options for public comment when I know, from years on the Metro Board, and from years as a Councilmember, that the DC residents stand firmly against these ideas.  That is why I voted against the proposals being discussed at public hearings week.

      You can find details about options for balancing metro’s budget here:  http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/news/PressReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=4368

      I encourage you to attend the final DC public hearing this week at All Souls Church, 1500 Harvard Street NW, Thursday, April 1, beginning at 6:30 pm.

      Bests, Jim

      Bests,

      Councilmember Jim Graham

      --

      I typically answer emails before 9 AM on weekdays. If you email me after that, it is likely that you will hear from me the next weekday. If there is a need to communicate prior to that, you may wish to call me.

      Jim Graham, Councilmember, Ward One, 1350 Pa. Ave., NW, #105, Washington, DC 20004. 202-724-8181; 202-724-8109 (fax).

      Chairman, Committee on Public Works and the Environment (including alcohol regulation). Main Committee Number: 202-724-8195. 1350 Pa. Ave., NW, #116, Washington, DC 20004.

      Website: www.grahamwone.com