DDOT Headquarters Columbia Heights or Georgia Ave ?

  • whj@melanet.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2010

      Recently the Fenty Administration scrapped plans to build a new DDOT Headquarters at the Gateway Development in Anacostia.  A portion of the money set-a-side for that development was used to purchase the 3 Boys & Girls Club including #10 in Columbia Heights.  I can think of several sites in Columbia Heights and Georgia  Ave which could potentially house a DDOT Headquarters.  With DDOT signed as a tenant my quess is that a private developer could get the headquarters built.

      1. Highland Park II the1400 Block of Irving.  The day time commercial foot traffic would be a perfect fit.  As the previous project for the site seems to be going nowhere after 6 years it's time to rethink the site and put it back out for bid.
      2. The old  Nehemiah shopping center site.
      3. The old Bruce Monroe School site.  I don't know if there is enough room, but a co-located school and park could probably work.  This would really jump start serious development on Georgia Ave.

      At least a portion of the dollars from the failed Radio One Project could also be used.

      Brain storming.