Crime or Suspicious Activity? Call a Patrolling MPD Officer on an Operation LiveLink Cell Phone

  • Cecilia Jones
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2009

      Operation LiveLink - Northwest Columbia Heights

      202-870-9855 (English)

      202-870-9856 (Spanish and English)

      The Metropolitan Police Department and the Northwest Columbia Heights Community Association (NWCHCA) have partnered to provide the means for better communication and cooperation with police in our community. Operation LiveLink improves police response time and enhances public safety through enabling community members to provide information about crimes in progress and suspicious activity directly to police officers in the neighborhood by cell phone. Operation LiveLink is not intended to take the place of 911. It supplements the existing 911 system. When NWCHCA was forming, the most common complaint from community members was police response to calls for service. We in the community with MPD support, have offered Operation LiveLink as a way to bridge the gap. NWCHCA's Operation LiveLink was started in May 2008. For Operation LiveLink to work, making our community safer and quieter, we need you to call and provide information about crimes in progress.

      Operation LiveLink calls have resulted in several recent arrests. Please encourage all your neighbors to take the time to report every crime first with a 911 call and then with an Operation LiveLink call. Be prepared to cooperate fully with responding police.

      How to Place an Operation LiveLink Call:

      1.     Call 911 first. Operation LiveLink calls will not be acted upon unless a 911 call has been recorded.
      2.     Call an NWCHCA Operation LiveLink cell phone: 202-870-9855 or 202-870-9856. An officer on-patrol will respond (if no answer, leave a message.)
      3.     Identify yourself.
      4.     Describe the crime or suspicious activity, giving location information and descriptions. Please keep the call brief.

      The geographic range for the NWCHCA's Operation LiveLink program's service area is roughly the northwest part of PSA 302. If you live or work in the service area, please save both NWCHCA Operation LiveLink numbers in all your phones, including your cell phone.
      • Operation LiveLink is funded by grants and private donations, through the Northwest Columbia Heights Community Association, a non-profit community group.
      • There is no charge for placing Operation LiveLink calls--it is free to the public, and we encourage everyone to use it.
      • Please send an e-mail to  nwchca@... to:
        • Provide feedback or suggestions on Operation LiveLink
        • Send “kudos” for MPD officers who respond to Operation LiveLink calls (please include the officer’s name, time/date, nature of call and location)
        • Request a free Operation LiveLink refrigerator magnet (in both English and Spanish)
        For more information about Operation LiveLink, NWCHCA and to read tips on reporting crimes (Link:“How to fight crime”), please visit www.nwchca.org

      Windows 7: Unclutter your desktop. Learn more.
    • Cecilia Jones
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 31, 2010

        Check out a blog about Operation LiveLink on Prince of Petworth

[...]

        Operation LiveLink calls have resulted in several good arrests. Please encourage all your neighbors to take the time to report every crime first with a 911 call and then with an Operation LiveLink call. Be prepared to cooperate fully with responding police.

        How to Place an Operation LiveLink Call:

        1. Call 911 first. Operation LiveLink calls will not be acted upon unless a 911 call has been recorded.
        2. Call an NWCHCA Operation LiveLink cell phone: 202-870-9855 or 202-870-9856. An officer on-patrol will respond
        3. If there is no answer, please leave a message. An officer will call you back.
        4. Identify yourself.
        5. Describe the crime or suspicious activity, giving location information and descriptions.
        6. Please keep the call brief.