Bicyclists Who Insist On Violating Basic Traffic Laws

  • small axe
    Message 1 of 49 , Nov 3 7:04 AM
         This morning as I was legally crossing 11 St NW in a marked crosswalk at an intersection where it is a 4 way stop, a bicyclist decided to come straight at me at what for a bike is a fast speed. He sped through the stop sign at full speed all the while looking straight at me.He was clearly saying get out of his way despite my legal right of way. When I legally started to cross the street, the bicyclist was half a block away.
         I have one question to Columbia Heights bicyclists that speed down 11th and 14th streets with no regard to any traffic law - what traffic laws are you ready for me to ignore when I drive a car?
         I have a few questions to the police - why is there absolutely no meaningful enforcement of traffic laws for bicyclists? Are we waiting for a bicyclist to seriously harm a pedestrian? What does it take? Are bikes that do not have brakes allowed on city streets?

    • ChristopherG
      Message 49 of 49 , Nov 6 9:07 AM
        You're right, Zach. I'm just amazed that nobody can possibly admit that they too engage in illegal activity when driving or walking - as if not using a turn signal is not as dangerous for cyclists as running a red light. I'm concerned about the impression that cyclists are so overwhelmingly the problem on the streets when what I see on my daily commute is exactly the opposite, and that these kinds of misperceptions lead to bad public policy.

        I guess instead I'll just send a daily email to Councilmember Graham about what outrage I experienced that day from motorists on my commute. Normally, I just ignore those kinds of things but obviously he needs to get a more balanced view.