Re: [columbia_heights] Here we go again . . .

  • MBarlet
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2001
      I would have to agree with Jim W,

      I am not a gun nut, but I sold my handgun when I moved here from
      Florida. There is a lot of documented evidence that shows that when
      you arm and educate lawful citizens on how to use a gun crime goes
      down. Lets think about it for a sec, the last thing a "misguided"
      person wants is to be killed themselves. If, like in DC, you have
      almost no one armed, then the "misguided" ones know it is relatively
      safe to do what ever they want, but, if 10-30% of lawful people are
      armed and know how to use it correctly then the odds of finding the
      homeowner who will fight back increase significantly, so much so that
      a good number of "misguided" people will abandon the crime life all
      together.

      There is nothing wrong with lawful people having guns, A gun does
      not mean you have to mow people down.

      After Florida passed its conceal and carry law, crime went down. If
      you were a mugger you would think twice knowing that one in 3 are
      armed, that you have a 30% chance of getting shot by the next victim.
      The fact is criminals already conceal and carry, so why not the
      lawful person on the streets. Or as they are not finding in the UK,
      and in Australia, Unarming the public only keeps the guns in the
      hands of those who want to use it to do harm.

      I am not condoning shooting people left and right, but lets face
      the fact. I don't are who you are, you come into my house with intent
      to harm me my family, and/or take my things, you are not going to
      leave without a fight, I will do my best to protect my home, But in
      DC I have little chance of being nothing more than a victim, because
      I have a baseball bat, and the criminal has a gun. Keep in mind, the
      "misguided" person is already breaking in to homes, cars, and purses,
      All of that being illegal, so why would he care about a damn gun law?
      Arm the citizens and crime WILL go down, without one shot ever being
      discharged, because it becomes to much of a gamble!

      http://photos.yahoo.com/