Columbia Heights Streetscape: Update
Alert: Construction begins on 14th Street
Construction on 14th Street, NW , from Columbia Road to Park Road is scheduled to begin on Monday, June 08, 2009. Concrete traffic barriers will separate the work zone from traffic.
* Work to be performed includes, but is not limited to, storm drain inlets, granite curbs and sidewalks.
* The traffic lanes adjacent to the Plaza on Kenyon Street and east bound Park Road will be closed for Plaza-related drainage installation work.
* Right curb lane on northbound 14th Street will be closed.
* The bus shelter located on Irving Street at the Metro station is not expected to be significantly impacted. However, Metro is being notified to assist in any modifications required for passenger safety and ease of access.
* Every effort will be made to maintain most existing handicap ramps. However, due to safety concerns stemming from the new pattern, pedestrians are strongly advised to follow posted safety and detour signs in the affected areas.
* Message boards will continue to notify the public of any traffic pattern changes as construction progresses.
* A safety fence will separate pedestrians on the side walk from the construction zones.
- Construction work on 3300 block of 14th St.
Beginning October 19, 2009, construction activities on 14th Street, NW will be moving to the east side of the 3300 block, from Park Road to Monroe Street, NW. One lane of northbound and one lane of southbound traffic will be maintained on 14th Street at all times. However, the east half of 14th Street, including the traffic lane and the parking lane, will be closed at all times during construction.
Work to be performed includes but is not limited to removal of the existing curb and sidewalk, the installation of new granite curbs, storm drain inlets, street light foundations and poles, and sidewalk reconstruction with pavers at the civic plaza.
Safety and Access
* Sidewalk and pedestrian access to businesses will be maintained at all times, including the Park Road sidewalk east of 14th Street.
* Traffic safety officers, flagmen and VMS message boards will be utilized to assist in directing the flow of pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
* No parking will be allowed within the block during construction.
For more information:
Mr. Vincent Kumordzie, P.E.
DDOT Project Engineer,
Mr. Deinma Jamabo
Visit our project office:
3247 Mt. Pleasant Street, NW
MondayFriday, 7am - 4pm