Re: [columbia_heights] Re: Klingle Road

  • vsigwalt@aol.com
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 1, 2001
      John,

      Perhaps you should tone down the egoism implicit in your pretentious calm
      nobility. Exactly what part of my response should be toned down? Yours was
      a patronizing reply which did not deal with societal imbalances in one of the
      most segregated cities in America. This situation will be exacerbated if
      Klingle Road remains closed. I enclose for your perusal a later post on the
      same topic.

      "Jon,

      Yes, you are right. It is not fair that a carless individual has to
      subsidize private transportation. I agree with you -- it is not right. But
      do we correct wrongs with greater injustices? Have you noticed that Porter
      Street, west of Connecticut is one-way these days -- going east. Maybe at
      some point, as the repairs proceed. it will be one-way going west. Maybe,
      Maybe -- notice the primary direction of inconvenience. My question is: Why
      is it that things which benefit society in general always start with
      deprivation for those with less. Why do we draw the line at the point where
      those who have don't have to give up anything but end up gaining?"
    • Sandra Truesdale
      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 19, 2003

        Delaying Restoration of Klingle Ups Cost
        Copyright, Northwest Current
        January 8, 2003

        Contrary to the impression created in the Current’s January 1, 2003 article "Mayor Submits Bill to Close Klingle Road", this is a plan to convert the road to a purpose that is less beneficial to DC and to waste money studying it. Klingle Road is functionally classified, and dedicated, for public vehicular use. This is not a return to parkland issue, since the road was not parkland before.

        DC has already done the necessary environmental assessment and transportation study. The assessment also confirmed that accidents and hazardous congestion have increased in the areas adjacent to the road. This is not surprising since the environmental assessment showed that the road is near 21 places of worship, 17 schools and 10 of the city’s enterprise zones. Three thousand residents efficiently used Klingle Road each day when it was available. For the last ten years, DC motorists, including the elderly, have not had access to this road. This is one of the few dedicated east-west routes DC has in northwest. The road serves as a connector for three city wards and is a conduit to hospitals like Children’s Hospital, the Washington Hospital Center and the VA Hospital to name a few. Using all of our roads improves traffic flow, which will help reduce the air pollution created by idling vehicles.

        Since the city has to rebuild the road to accommodate emergency vehicles, there is no cost avoidance. It makes no sense to rebuild the road, but to deny the public vehicular benefit. The article also did not mention that DC’s primary transportation funding source is the Federal Highway Administration, which provides money for road repair, but may not for road conversion. Under federal transportation law, DC has an obligation to preserve and maintain its inventory of federal-aid roads and to use the roads for their dedicated public vehicular purposes. The Federal Highway Administration has historically provided funding, but only if the purpose furthers the transportation mission. If the city were interested in maximum cost effectiveness, then it would implement its 80 page Klingle Road reconstruction plan which already addresses the environmental damage. DC cannot afford to waste this road or to jeopardize our federal transportation funding. It’s in the public interest to restore this road for its dedicated purpose. The longer we wait, the more it will cost.

        Gale B. Black
        Washington, D.C. (Crestwood – Ward 4)

        Rev. Dr. Sandra Butler-Truesdale
        Collector
        History of Rhythm,Blues,Jazz & Gospel Collection
        in Black and White
        A Collection of artists from 1930s to the present
        202-882-2600 phone  202-829-8115 fax
        To engage the collection call, fax or email
        Webmaster@...