Columbia Heights farmers market?

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 12 , May 6, 2009
      Anyone know what the status is of the Columbia Heights farmers market? I haven't heard anything about it in awhile.
      Message 2 of 12 , May 6, 2009
        Andrew,

        I, for one one, would love to see the farmer;s market at the Kenyon/Park Triangle across from the Tivoli as it was envisioned in the first version of the Public Realm planning. I was involved with the original Columbia Heights Community Marketplace when it operated for 5 years at 14th & Irving before the construction, and with the Public Realm Taskforce. It was an almost all-volunteer operation,with the emphasis on community and although it was wonderful it took a toll committing Saturdays May-October season after season.

        There are several challenges that I know of:

        1. The plaza won't be finished until (mid-summer ?)
        2. An alternative site may need to be determined
        3. It has been mentioned that the city was considering transferring the administration of the public space from Office of Property Management to Parks & Rec, which somehow might prohibit a market
        4. An organization/group would need to take responsibility for advocating/ operating a market . This might be either a non-profit, or one of the other farmer's market entities (U St, Mt.Pleasant, ?), or ???
        5. If it were taken on by an existing market operation, they might not want to compete with themselves on weekends, but another option would then be to have a mid-week (4 PM-7 PM) schedule, expanding the opportunities for vendors
        6. Not sure if producers, not having known in advance, would have planted enough to supply another market - but there would to be other producers who could be identified

        On the other hand, there is no doubt in my mind that there certainly would be a solid customer base to make a successful market. I'm putting up a poll to gauge interest.

        The bottom line, though, is if you want it, step up and advocate for it.

        Elizabeth McIntire

        Message 3 of 12 , May 7, 2009
          We will call a community/organizing meeting in the next few weeks to
          form a "Friends of" group for the civic plaza.. The goal is to have
          something operational by August/September.. We are working between 3
          agencies, DDOT, DMPED and DPR. All have expressed a commitment in
          helping to get this done. The ANC as passed the necessary resolutions.
          Change Inc. has committed to continue as fiscal agent for the market.
          We have potential market managers at the table. In the next month or
          so we will findout if the community working with the city, developers,
          business owners and community organizations can pull this off.

          William

          Andrew wrote:

          >Anyone know what the status is of the Columbia Heights farmers market? I haven't heard anything about it in awhile.

        • Richard Layman
          Message 4 of 12 , May 7, 2009
            in order to compete with the extant nearby markets -- Mount Pleasant on Saturday mornings, and 14th and U on Saturdays -- I'd suggest a Weds. or Thursday evening market.

            There is also a great opportunity to figure out how to work with immigrant food sellers.  The Langley Park Crossroads market on Wednesday nights, organized by the Takoma Park Farmers Market people, is an example to learn from.

            The plaza location has limited room, but would be a killer location.

            Good luck.

            RL

              Message 6 of 12 , May 7, 2009
                what did the pub realm report suggest in terms of a market and when to offer it?

                It isn't just your being competitive with time of day for customers, and I agree that your location and population density is superior to the other named locations, it is for farmers and for farmers against their pre-established relationships.  In short, there aren't as many farmers as there is demand for them, especially on Saturdays, where there are also amazing markets in Alexandria and at Courthouse Metro.  Hence, do a significantly different time and offering and fill a hole in the market.  Or don't, and sputter or at the least, not benefit in extranormal ways that you can doing something different, complementary, and in a time of day focused way.

                Regardless of the network concept of spaces, the reality is that there will be more successful and less successful spaces within the network, success being dependent by proximity to activity centers and large numbers of potential users/patrons.

                RL

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 7, 2009
                    Is the vision in the framework available anywhere? I would like to see it, I'm sure other folks would also.

                    Andrew

                    --- In columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com, William Jordan <whj@...> wrote:

                    > Good advice, but we will be more than competitive as their is plenty
                    > of demand. Ideally, the plaza will serve as a anchor a network of
                    > sites. I'm sticking with the vision ourlined in the CH Public Realm
                    > Framework.
                    >
                    > Richard Layman wrote:
                    >

                    > > in order to compete with the extant nearby markets -- Mount Pleasant
                    > > on Saturday mornings, and 14th and U on Saturdays -- I'd suggest a
                    > > Weds. or Thursday evening market.
                    > >
                    > > There is also a great opportunity to figure out how to work with
                    > > immigrant food sellers. The Langley Park Crossroads market on
                    > > Wednesday nights, organized by the Takoma Park Farmers Market people,
                    > > is an example to learn from.
                    > >
                    > > The plaza location has limited room, but would be a killer location.
                    > >
                    > > Good luck.
                    > >
                    > > RL

                  • Elaine Clisham
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 7, 2009
                      Finally, a question I know the answer to! Here's the Public Realm Framework Plan (pdf downloads):

                      Hope that's helpful.

                      Elaine

                      Message 10 of 12 , May 7, 2009
                        I am not so sure that a time during the week would work for farmers. They are driving some distance to sell at a market. A week day time poses problems, I would suspect. One would have to fight rush hour traffic coming in for a week day evening and drive in the dark returning. They also have to spend time growing the crops - a week day time would probably interfere with that.

                        Farmers will gravitate to the market that brings them the most revenue. If set up right, that most certainly could be Columbia Heights. Also, I can't see why a single farmer couldn't set up stands at two markets, if the sales are there.

                        The biggest hurdle I can see is finding someone or an organization that deals with area farmers. We had an organization that did that but unfortunately it broke up. Remember also that one must make sure that it is real local produce produced by the vendor selling it.

                      • emarcus140@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 8, 2009
                          I'm one of the partners on the Park Triangle project, am on the public realm committee and one of the founders of the Columbia Heights Marketplace plus the Chevy Chase Farmer's Market (at Broad Branch Rd and Northampton, next to Lafaytette Elementary). Am also friends with one of the primary farmers at the Adams Morgan market. Just a few comments - (1) in my past discussions with the farmers I know, they can't afford to leave the fields during the week to drive into the city and back out again - plus there is the issue of traffic during the week. Not impossible for during the week though, I know that Mike Tabor, the Adams Morgan guy, has had a successful time during the week at the Bethesda market but Mike lives in Takoma Park so it may be easier for him than most; (2) I think you could find farmers which go to established Saturday markets to come back into the city on Sunday, or vice versa. Assuming, of course, they think they can make good money at the market and there is relatively easy set up and a functional layout for the stands; (3) I think we need to look closely at the most recent plan to see if it really is functional for a market and if any small changes are necessary. Parking and unloading is also a big deal. DDOT agreed in past to having parking (post park renovation) along Park Road in front of our building which would have No Parking during market times to allow farmers trucks to park there (and early morning deliveries for our retail tenants). I can't say I know enough whether this arrangement would be acceptable to farmers; (4) I just wanted to say that the model followed in the past in Columbia Heights was very volunteer intensive. The other model, which we have in Chevy Chase, is much, much less so. Basically we don't charge the market master farmer for his space rental in exchange for them managing the market, including bringing in a great array of type of uses - fruit lady, cheese, bread/pastry, 2 vegetable and flower growers, grass fed beef and free range chicken. Smallgroup really but allows for a good experience and reasonable variety. The tiny market committee discusses changes to the mix and rules when appropriate and that's about it. I think something in between is probably appropriate in C.H. but all to say that it doesn't have to be a huge burden; (5) Park Triangle will support the market in whatever way we can. We believe that the past market was a greater unifier in the n'hood.

                          Ernie Marcus

                          Message 12 of 12 , May 8, 2009

                            We have actually ID'd a few connections to farmers. The idea of a weekday market has been kicked around.  14th  & U  at one point I believe was doing Weds or Thurs. so it's doable.

                            During  CH Public Realm Plan folk ID'd several sites for farmers markets.  There is no  reason why some of these sites can't also come into play at some point.  As well non produce items such as artwork, crafts and so on.  We'll see, lots of work to do.