No Metro Transit Cuts For DC

  • Jim Graham
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2009

      Dear Friends,

      I am pleased to report that--after a lengthy budget process involving months of meetings and public discussion--we end up with NO service reductions in either bus or rail or Metroaccess for the District of Columbia.

      There is also NO fare increase. Let me be clear about that. I oppose fare increases unless absolutely necessary. It was  absolutely clear to me that we did not have to impose any fare increase to close what was clearly a manageable budget gap. The various jurisdictions came forward with additional subsidies and the reserve fund was then used to close the remaining small gap.

      So then why would we want to raise fares even by 5 cents per ride, for all time, to close such a gap?

      Ultimately, the Metro Board agreed. And the monies were found.

      This is a good solid achievement for our Metro riders and passengers.

      We have also--just weeks ago--made significant enhancements in bus transportation in DC with the new DC Circulator lines in Adams Morgan-DWTN and Capitol Hill as well as the new 16th Street Express Bus Service (S9).

      Meanwhile we are also clearing the way for the Congress to actually appropriate its share of dedicated Metro funding, hopefully for the next fiscal year.

      Bests, Councilmember Jim Graham

      I typically answer emails before 9 AM on weekdays. If you email me after that, it is likely that you will hear from me the next weekday. If there is a need to communicate prior to that, you may wish to call me. For most effective communication, please use my direct email address: jim@...

      Jim Graham, Councilmember, Ward One, 1350 Pa. Ave., NW, #105, Washington, DC 20004. 202-724-8181; 202-724-8109 (fax).

      Chairman, Committee on Public Works and the Transportation (including alcohol regulation). Main Committee Number: 202-724-8195. 1350 Pa. Ave., NW, #116, Washington, DC 20004.

      Chairman and Voting Member, Board of Directors, WMATA/Metro.

      Website: www.grahamwone.com