Shots Fired in Broad Daylight

  • dmarwah7
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 26, 2009
      It seems that shots were fired in broad daylight at about 4:20pm on Sunday afternoon. I saw mothers with strollers running in away from what seemed to be 14th and Harvard. Police are currently swarming the area. If anyone has concrete information that can/should be made public, please let the community know.
    • Jim Graham
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2009

        All:

        We have had relative quiet for the last several weeks around the Columbia Heights Village community until Sunday afternoon.  This has been a very troubled property in past months.  The US Attorney’s Office, MPD, CSOSA and Clark Management, the owner of Columbia Heights Village, are working together to enhance security around the property and enforce HUD eviction laws as appropriate.  I must point out, however, it has not been determined whether this incident involved Columbia Heights Village residents.

        Below is an eyewitness account of the shooting incident that occurred in broad daylight around 4:00 pm.

        Here is a description of the events from an eyewitness:

        I'm writing to confirm the shooting at 14th and Harvard today. In fact, I witnessed the entire incident at about 4:10PM. Was in my car on Harvard about to turn south onto 14th when I saw a young black male on the opposite side of the intersection pull a black handgun out of his pocket. He lifted the gun and started shooting (about 3 or 4 shots) at another young black male running east on Harvard. Still in shock my friend and I turned right to get out of there but got stuck at the red light by Dunkin Donuts. The shooter (black male, jeans, red t-shirt) came running south on 14th behind us so we decided to drive through the red light to create some distance. Another SUV did the exact same as us and ran the red light to get the hell out of there. We immediately called 911 to report what we had just witnessed. The shooter disappeared by the apartment building on the SW corner of 14th and Harvard.

        The scary thing is that this happened in the middle of the day and the people involved looked like they were no older than 15 or 16. People walking nearby on the sidewalk hit the ground as soon as they heard shots.

        Still in shock...

        I understand MPD and the MPD Gang Fusion Unit has requested that the person who posted this account contact them to assist with the investigation.  Thank you to the person who posted this account for your courage and attention to details.  If you haven’t already, please cooperate with the MPD to help ensure the persons involved are identified and arrested.

        I have been told by the Coordinating Council on Youth Violence Prevention that this incident is related to an ongoing “beef” between 2 rival crews in the area.  Progress is being made in bringing these two groups together and the Coordinating Council is working towards a mediation between the groups.  This violence must stop.

         Bests, Councilmember Jim Graham

        I typically answer emails before 9 AM on weekdays. If you email me after that, it is likely that you will hear from me the next weekday. If there is a need to communicate prior to that, you may wish to call me. For most effective communication, please use my direct email address: jim@...

        Jim Graham, Councilmember, Ward One, 1350 Pa. Ave., NW, #105, Washington, DC 20004. 202-724-8181; 202-724-8109 (fax).

        Chairman, Committee on Public Works and the Transportation (including alcohol regulation). Main Committee Number: 202-724-8195. 1350 Pa. Ave., NW, #116, Washington, DC 20004.

        Chairman and Voting Member, Board of Directors, WMATA/Metro.

        Website: www.grahamwone.com

      • Kucik, George (MPD)
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2009
          Thie shots fired last week are certainly alarming and we will continue to maintain a police presence in the area.  Despite that incident and some others, crime in PSA 304 is down significantly for the past 30 days.  When compared to the same time period last year PSA 304 has had a 75% decrease in violent crime and a 61% decrease in property crime.

          George Kucik
          Commander
          Metropolitan Police Department
          Third District
          1620 V Street, NW
          Washington, DC 20009
          (202) 673-6820

          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2009

            The collaborative and concerted effort to curtail crime in and around the Columbia Heights Village Apartments complex is to be commended, and well deserving. It may well deserve consideration to many of us, the tenants of the complex, if a better effort of screening and orientating the "new" tenants that are mostly young females that are first-time renters with less than desirable associates, who seem to be the major attraction of a lot of the crime in and around the complex.
               Our application process for tenancy has entailed standing in line for hours, overnight in inclimate weather, for two different days to receive and submit an application. This inherently eliminates and dissuades many seniors and disabled persons from applying. Consequently, the attrition of this population of people is not replaced, and the population of the complex changes for the worst.
                Moreover, an orientation process that explains and ensures that these "newcomers" understand, learn and realize the etiquettes of being a good tenant with regards to other tenants rights is absent. Just giving them something in writing is not sufficient whereas many of them can not read or understand the written message. This culture provokes fear and uneasiness among many of the good older tenants.
               Inasmuch, a concerted effort for approaching the internal causes of many of the problems could be conducted in a preventive manner that is controllable by structure.
               Thanks
            Mack B. Thompson, III

            To: Daniel.hickson@...; diane.groomes@...; pgriffith@...; dmcfadden@...; rmoten@...; dmarwah7@...; Columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com; david.brody@...; bruce.warren@...; jcurti@...; therman@...
            CC: JDeTaeye@...
            From: grahamwone@...
            Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 08:45:17 -0700

[...]

            I typically answer emails before 9 AM on weekdays. If you email me after that, it is likely that you will hear from me the next weekday. If there is a need to communicate prior to that, you may wish to call me. For most effective communication, please use my direct email address: jim@grahamwone. com