[Fwd: [southcolumbiaheights] Meeting on Violence near Clubhouse #10]

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 9, 2008

      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject:[southcolumbiaheights] Meeting on Violence near Clubhouse #10
      Date:Thu, 9 Oct 2008 05:58:24 -0700
      From:Jim Graham <grahamwone@...>

      Friends,

      As promised, and in light of the after school incident at Cardozo High School, I have scheduled a special community meeting for Thursday, October 16, 6:30 pm at the Boys and Girls Club # 10 (14th and Chapin)

      The level of violent crime, in particular juvenile violent crime in Columbia Heights and throughout the Third District, has spiked to an alarming level.  MPD Chief Cathy Lanier has been invited to attend the meeting along with other officials from the Third District.  With the Holiday season and the deteriorating economic picture upon us, I am very concerned.

      I chose the Boys and Girls Club as the site for this meeting because of the real asset it is, and must be to our entire community.  While there have been terrifying and senseless violent incidents recently incidents near and around the Club, including a double shooting just last Friday, the Club has much to offer our neighborhood youth.  And I believe all of us have something to offer them as well.  The Club must be part of the solution to this problem.

      However, the senseless violence threatens all of us and it will not be tolerated.  I want to come out of the meeting on Thursday with a plan from the MPD on increased presence and enforcement in Columbia Heights and throughout the Third District.

      See you next Thursday,

      Bests,

      Councilmember Jim Graham

      I typically answer emails before 9 AM on weekdays. If you email me after that, it is likely that you will hear from me the next weekday. If there is a need to communicate prior to that, you may wish to call me. For most effective communication, please use my direct email address: jim@...

      Jim Graham, Councilmember, Ward One, 1350 Pa. Ave., NW, #105, Washington, DC 20004. 202-724-8181; 202-724-8109 (fax).

      Chairman, Committee on Public Works and the Environment (including alcohol regulation). Main Committee Number: 202-724-8195. 1350 Pa. Ave., NW, #116, Washington, DC 20004.

      Voting member, Board of Directors, WMATA/Metro.

    • dgoerlitz1@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 9, 2008
        can someone please elaborate on the "after school incident at Cardozo High School"?
        what exactly happened?

        Dave

        From: William Jordan <whj@...>