RE: [columbia_heights] 11th & Monroe Park Town Hall Meeting

  • Adam Aaronson
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2008
      Please explain how this is not truly inclusive. It invites everyone in ANC1A.

      People that don't take an active role in the process really shouldn't complain when things don't turn out how they'd hope. So since you are not going to the meeting, please refrain from comment when you don't agree with the resolution. I say "when", not "if", because let's be honest. You complain about everything.

      To: NCHCA@yahoogroups.com; trolleyturnaroundparkDC@yahoogroups.com; columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com
      From: whj@...
      Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 20:53:06 -0400
      Subject: [columbia_heights] 11th & Monroe Park Town Hall Meeting

      I got this flyer today.  Unfortunately, it does not adopt a  truely  inclusive approach that Columbia Heights needs for a productive future.  But at least the flyers are out.  Can someone post the actual resolution.

      TOWN HALL MEETING

      About the Park at
      11th and Monroe Streets, NW

      There will be a meeting held on 4 June 2008 at 1125
      Spring Road, NW (the Mental Health Center), at 7:30pm,
      About the park at 11th and Monroe Streets, NW.

      The purpose of this meeting is to provide a public forum
      for all the residents, especially those from ANC 1A04 and
      1A07, to address concerns or make suggestions about the
      park.  Residents of other Single Member Districts in ANC
      1A are also invited to participate.

      Results of this meeting will give directions to ANC 1A in
       its disposition of a Resolution that has been presented to
      make the park a more “family-friendly” park.

      Please attend this meeting if you can.  It is your voice that
      determines what happens with the park.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2008

        First, I'm pretty sure the invite flyer only went to 1A04 and 1A07 SMDs.  And maybe comments and actions below by commission Ray gives me the impression that the intent is not to be inclusive.  Like Mr. Ray I live in an a neighborhing SMD and at least as close to the park in question as Mr. Ray, yet he unilaterally wants to  decide who to block from the process, if they disagree or challenge Mr. Ray's actions?   Based on Mr. Ray's logic those who live across the street from the park would have a lesser voice than those living a block away as they live in a different SMD.  Or is it that he get's to decide who participates and how much their input counts.

        " Sun Jun 1, 2008 6:24 am
        Re: [NCHCA] RE: [columbia_heights] 11th & Monroe Park Town Hall Meeting

        Adam, Bravo for your comments.

        Yes, I have decided to block those folks who are depleting.

        All the best, LR at Rehoboth Beach

        Larry Ray
        Attorney/Mediator/Negotiator
        Otis Place Bed and Breakfast
        1003 Otis Place, N.W.
        Washington, D.C. 20010
        202-483-0241/ Fax: 202-265-6509
        E: DCLarry@...
        http://members.aol.com/dclarry "

        To: NCHCA@yahoogroups.com; trolleyturnaroundparkDC@yahoogroups.com; columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2008
          I agree that there is some move to limit some folks participation in
          this meeting. It is everyone's responsibility who cares about the park
          to ensure this is an inclusive event. I have sent the notice out to a
          large parents group (60 families) and to the CH list.

          Anyone know Prince of Petworth and can get him to blog about the event?

          Anne planned to talk it up IN the park.

          Betty handed out flyers in her SMD.

          What else should we be doing?

          Teresa

          William Jordan wrote:

> [...]
          >>

          >> TOWN HALL MEETING
          >>
          >> About the Park at
          >> 11th and Monroe Streets, NW
          >>
          >> There will be a meeting held on 4 June 2008 at 1125
          >> Spring Road, NW (the Mental Health Center), at 7:30pm,
          >> About the park at 11th and Monroe Streets, NW.
          >>
          >> The purpose of this meeting is to provide a public forum
          >> for all the residents, especially those from ANC 1A04 and
          >> 1A07, to address concerns or make suggestions about the
          >> park. Residents of other Single Member Districts in ANC
          >> 1A are also invited to participate.
          >>
          >> Results of this meeting will give directions to ANC 1A in
          >> its disposition of a Resolution that has been presented to
          >> make the park a more “family-friendly” park.
          >>
          >> Please attend this meeting if you can. It is your voice that
          >> determines what happens with the park.

          >> E-mail for the greater good. Join the i’m Initiative from Microsoft.

        • Teresa Crawford
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2008
            Not to belabor this but the idea that someone (ANC commissioner,
            community member, anyone else) has the right to say who should be most
            concerned with a community asset - park - based solely on where they
            live seems ridiculous.

            I live in SMD 1a06 BUT I have kids who are some of the most likely users
            of the park. Does that mean I have more of an interest in the park then
            a couple with no kids who lives in 1a04 or 1a07 and only walks by the
            park? What about a senior in an efficiency apartment with no A/C whose
            home health aid gets them out into the park for their daily stroll but
            lives in another ANC? Following this line of logic you could say that
            only those who actually want to USE the park have an interest which is
            not true.

            The park is a community asset and there are many citizen interests in
            the park - to use it for recreation, to use it for relaxation, to use it
            to escape the heat, to walk by and not be harassed, to have a good night
            sleep because no one is in it drinking, to no smell urine/excrement when
            you walk in an alley, to feel safe and secure in your home/street
            because it is free of crime, to watch you property value rise because
            you have an attractive green space nearby.

            To start ranking those interests and then telling citizens how much
            value their voice/action has based on that ranking does not strike me as
            a good way to encourage greater participation in making the park a user
            friendly space.

            Teresa

            William Jordan wrote:

            > First, I'm pretty sure the invite flyer only went to 1A04 and 1A07 SMDs.
            > And maybe comments and actions below by commission Ray gives me the
            > impression that the intent is not to be inclusive. Like Mr. Ray I live
            > in an a neighborhing SMD and at least as close to the park in question
            > as Mr. Ray, yet he unilaterally wants to decide who to block from the
            > process, if they disagree or challenge Mr. Ray's actions? Based on Mr.
            > Ray's logic those who live across the street from the park would have a
            > lesser voice than those living a block away as they live in a different
            > SMD. Or is it that he get's to decide who participates and how much
            > their input counts.

          • Adam Aaronson
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1, 2008
              Well, regardless of where the flyer was posted, there have been emails circulating about this meeting for weeks now. And not just to people that live within a few blocks, to all listservs, including the 1300+ people that are on the columbia_heights listserv. Allegations that certain people are trying to exclude others from having a say are ridiculous. No one is trying to exclude anyone - rather all have been invited. The flyer and other emails make this clear.

              The point has been made that those most closely neighboring the park should have more of a say than those who live much further away. I'm not sure why this is unreasonable. I have opinions on the Girard park, but doesn't it makes sense that those people who live across the street and are affected by the violence directly should have more of a say in it's development? Same with Monroe Park. People who live across the street from it, and who get bricks thrown thru their windows by the drunks in the park, should have more of a say than someone who lives 8 blocks away and doesn't even see the park on a day to day basis. But that doesn't mean that all ideas cannot be shared - and the emails and flyer makes this clear.

              It would be more productive for people to simply show up at the meeting and share some constructive thoughts about what can be done with this park in order to make the community better. Rather than waste time with ridiculous allegations about the purported intent of an invitation.

              Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 08:51:57 -0400
              From: whj@...
              To: adam_aaronson@...
              CC: nchca@yahoogroups.com; trolleyturnaroundparkdc@yahoogroups.com; columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com