Re: [columbia_heights] Re: Digest Number 3078

    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 4 5:11 AM

      This level of confusion and frustration confirms the poor level of leadership  and  stewardship over  community development that has existed in this community in particular at the city council level.

      William

      jon_audino19 wrote:
      And I would object to white sheets and flaming crosses.  What's odd
      is that you don't object to the exact same situation as described by
      Jarek in the first place.  Group of kids assaulting an innocent
      bystander in broad daylight.  Sounds like the black KKK to me.  Here
      is an interesting article that discusses that exact phenomenon -
      written by a very articulate black man.  Wake up Dave White people
      are targets in CH for nothing more than being white.

      http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7499442?MSNHPHCP&GT1=10637

      --- In columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com, "David McIntire" <mail@...>
      wrote:

      Right. And be sure to wear white sheets and carry flaming crosses.

      After all

      it has tradition behind it.

      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 4 6:00 AM

        Fenty has little clue of what is going on in our community, there is little evidence that he does.  In fact he seems to be taking his lead from Mr. Graham, which has primarily been one of neglect for our portion of the ward until it is politically expedient to act or put on a press conference.

        For example last year when  the initial school consolidation and reconstruction plan came out the CM's response to schools closings was, "What's in it for me?".   And then sent out an email not about education, community needs, but that the building be preserved historically.  Even now he's gaming with Fenty for control of  closing school building,   with little regard of children or community for his this is about the political levelerage in a land grab. The Central Union Mission is coming to Georgia Ave. becuase of his neglect of the cooridor.   The  relocation and reconstruction of  the LaCasa shelter is a cat and mouse came, because  the CM does not want to show leadership. I can go on  on.  As long as we continue to excuse the CM's poor performance in the eastern portion of the ward the longer it will take to achieve many of the goals you have listed.  The CM is the problem not the solution.

        Quality schools,  parks, rec. centers, greenspaces and youth development programs are NOT crime fighting strategies. These things are a part of healthy communities  period, to only talk about these things primarily in the context of crime prevention is misleadership.  How can you say Fenty understands when in one area he decides without broad community input to put 5 schools that serve the same area in flux .  At the same time they could not  keep a rec. center open, while ALL OF A SUDDEN DISCOVERING CREWS in the neighborhood.  Please....

        My point is that yes this community is while positioned for a positive future, but we must be sober about what we need to do to make this happen.  The officials are not doing their best for this community.  If the positive things are going to happen it is up to US.

        William

        Fenty's Mode On Schools Is Breeding Alienation

        http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/02/AR2007120202058_pf.html
        By David Nakamura and Nikita Stewart
        Washington Post Staff Writers
        Monday, December 3, 2007; B01

        Adrian M. Fenty was in no mood for a debate.

        The mayor had just finished briefing the D.C. Council on his plan to close 23 schools next year when one member objected to being left out of the decision making. Don't forget, Jim Graham reminded Fenty, that you can't sell the buildings without the council's approval.

        "Are you threatening me?" Fenty responded, according to people in the room. When Graham tried to defuse the tension, Fenty "just brushed Graham off," one council member said. A short time later, when Marion Barry attempted to give the mayor advice on his governing style, Fenty cut him off twice, prompting Barry to curse at him, Barry said.

        The exchanges, which came during a breakfast meeting Wednesday, highlighted a significant shift in the relationship between the mayor and the 13-member council in their high-stakes effort to improve the troubled school system, which Fenty has called his top priority.

        After winning direct control of the 50,000-student system in the spring, the Democratic mayor has begun the more difficult work of trying to bring about fundamental change. The school system, whose enrollment has been falling annually, is saddled with crumbling buildings, poorly trained teachers and underachieving students. But Fenty's eagerness to show quick progress has butted up against the need to build partnerships with the elected leaders and parents whose support he must maintain.

        "Relationships and politics are inextricably tied together," said D.C. Council Chairman Vincent C. Gray (D). "To get things done, there has to be some ground, a level of trust, that you both know your roles."

        This struggle over who is in charge of school reform has played out in other big cities. In New York, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg (I) bypassed the council and won approval from the state legislature to take control of the schools, but he has been criticized for shutting parents out of the process. In Los Angeles, Mayor Antonio R. Villaraigosa (D) was unsuccessful in winning political approval to take over the system.

        Fenty has been criticized for failing to involve the council and community in key appointments, including those of Schools Chancellor Michelle A. Rhee and Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier. But the ill feelings over the school closings plan have threatened to do more lasting damage and complicate the reform effort.

        Only four council members -- David A. Catania (I-At Large), Jack Evans (D-Ward 2), Mary M. Cheh (D-Ward 3) and Muriel Bowser (D-Ward 4) -- joined Fenty at a news conference to announce the plan after the breakfast meeting. The mayor and Rhee said that the money saved by closing buildings could be reinvested to add art, music and foreign-language programs. The turnout of council members was far sparser than the nine who stood by Fenty in January when he announced that he intended to take over the schools.

        Even Fenty's solid supporters found it difficult to back him unconditionally. Two days after the news conference, Evans joined parents to publicly air their concerns about the potential closing of Shaw Junior High School. "I don't feel left out," as others may feel, Evans said. "The bigger issue is our children."

        Clarence Cherry, who has two children at John Burroughs Elementary, slated to close, said he and other parents were shocked by Fenty's announcement because the mayor had visited the school last year and seemed supportive. "It really doesn't matter how we feel, obviously," said Cherry, president of the school's Parent-Teacher Association. "It puts a question mark on the leadership we elected for the city."

        Although the council cannot vote directly on the school closings, it will vote Dec. 11 on Rhee's request for $81 million in supplemental funds to carry out the closings and partially cover a projected deficit. During an education oversight hearing Thursday, council members struck a confrontational tone with Rhee, asking her to explain how she chose the schools to be closed.

        "This time was the first major pushback," said Harry Thomas Jr. (D-Ward 5), whose district has the most schools slated for closure: seven. Thomas will hold a hearing tonight on the closings.

        Fenty attempted some damage control, dropping by unannounced to chat with Thomas and Gray on Thursday.

        In an interview, Fenty rejected the notion that he has been dismissive of the council, saying his plan to brief them before making the news public was undercut by a Washington Post story Wednesday morning that revealed specifics.

        Asked why he and Rhee did not ask residents or council members for input before developing their list of schools, Fenty explained that Rhee must act without concern of political pressure. "I said to the chancellor: 'We need a plan to fix schools. You put together a plan free of any factors except what's best for kids,' " Fenty said. He added that parents will be able to weigh in during nine public hearings this month.

        As for the council, Fenty, who spent six years as a member from Ward 4, said, "I not only respect but appreciate the role of the council."

        Tony Bullock, who served as spokesman for former mayor Anthony A. Williams (D), said Fenty recognizes that residents don't want their elected officials "wasting a lot of time sitting around chitchatting." But, he added, the mayor should work to keep the council on his side, lest members try to block his initiatives.

        As frustrated as some council members have been, they have seldom exercised their displeasure from the dais. Last spring, Gray temporarily delayed the appointment of Victor A. Reinoso as a deputy mayor. But if anything, the council has helped Fenty consolidate power. In addition to handing him the schools, it also allowed him to take over two independent city planning agencies.

        The council's support has been influenced by Fenty's unprecedented sweep of all 142 voting precincts in last year's election. The council, some members acknowledge, must walk a fine line of challenging the mayor while avoiding the appearance that it is obstructing progress.

        Fenty has also wielded his political capital to win support. He endorsed Bowser in her bid to replace him on the council; helped raise money for Evans, who faces reelection next year; and supported Catania's proposal to bail out financially strapped Greater Southeast Community Hospital. Those three members have been among Fenty's most consistent boosters.

        Phil Mendelson (D-At Large), who voted against the takeover and has been a vocal critic of Fenty, said the council's pushback last week could become a defining moment.

        "The mayor's testiness was a surprise. I think the criticism from some of the allies was also a surprise," Mendelson said, adding that members must decide "whether the council . . . is willing to put up with this kind of governance. If the members are willing to continue to be an afterthought, that's how it will work for the next few years."

        Fenty's dust-up with Barry (D-Ward 8) and Graham (D-Ward 1) was especially notable because they were the only two council members to endorse his mayoral bid. Last week, Barry said Fenty is "acting like a dictator. He doesn't bring us in unless he needs us."

        Graham said his relationship with Fenty remains cordial but added that he thought he asked a "legitimate question" at the breakfast meeting.

        "My whole point was simply to get a legal interpretation of whether we had legal authority over these school closings," Graham said. "Then it sort of went downhill from there. I don't know why."

        Fenty said he has no regrets about how he rolled out his school-closings plan. Harkening to his campaign, Fenty said residents were clear that his priority must be to improve public education as quickly as possible.

        "In many ways, this is still a connection to that overwhelming tidal wave of outpouring of 'Fix the schools,' " he said. "People want us to fix the schools almost by any means necessary because it's taken so long."

        Jason wrote:
        Hi All,

        Yeah, while I too get really frustrated with the crime, I feel the
        Police, Fenty and Graham are working hard to address the problem.  I
        know a lot of people are not happy with the progress, while others
        feel we should focus efforts on the root problems that cause crime,
        but either way, I think the City understands the situation, what's
        at stake and is working on it.

        Regarding these feelings of being targeted, voiceless and feeling
        like an outsider can be addressed by making contacts with many of
        the caring neighbors around.  I find a lot of the old timers are
        great allies vs. the lawlessness - they hate it just as much as you
        do!  While I don't always agree with everyone when I go to meetings,
        I feel really pleased to see my fellow neighbors interested in
        improving our neighborhood.  By getting involved in the plethora of
        meetings available, I feel I have a very strong voice and make a
        difference.

        Bottom-line, #1 we need to continue pressuring the City and MPD to
        come up with innovative and effective ways to address crime, but #2
        we also need to poke our heads up from the trenches and see the
        progress and enjoy what our neighborhood is and what it's becoming.
        Building relationships with the good neighbors helps with both #1 &
        #2.

        Jason

        --- In columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com, Richard Layman
        <rlaymandc@...> wrote:

        Well, I don't live in Columbia Heights but for 15+ years I lived

        in the H Street NE neighborhood which has similar demographics.

           And while I would agree that for some segments of the

        neighborhood that I moved to in 1987 that I was a target, and that
        in some aspects, my life was definitely altered (to some extent
        negatively) as a result, for the most part, life went on, I
        developed relationships within the community, etc.  And I was hardly
        a target in the way others were in terms of organizing against crime
        and for public safety, in an area that was the home base to the
        Edmonds crack distribution network (activists were targeted for
        shooting and/or arson).

          And many people liked how I planted my yard, commented on it,

        asked for cuttings, etc.....  I didn't/don't have children, but went
        to the community meetings at the church across the street, or the
        school a couple blocks away, and met people there.

          I know crime sucks today, but for me it's all relative.  It's

        hard to worry as much about crime these days considering that a few
        blocks from me, in my old neighborhood, 30 people were murdered
        within an 18 month period back in the late 1980s.  Nothing compares
        to that time period.

          This too shall pass.

          But I am the first to admit it isn't easy.  And I am not at the

        stage of my life, where I want to live in and deal with such an
        environment.  Not everyone's cut out for it.  cf  _Code of the
        Street_ and _Streetwise_ by Elijah Anderson.

          RL

        "Farace, Rick" <rick.farace@...> wrote:
                      BECOMING FRUSTRATED?  ARE YOU KIDDING?

          Jon Audino was 100% correct.  If I knew how hated we would

        become five years ago, I would never have bought a house here.
        While I share in paying the ticket for those that despise us, hate
        us and taunt us, I will never have a voice, never be commended on my
        home improvements or nice yard and never, ever be safe walking the
        streets.

          Rick
          3008 11th Street

        ---------------------------------

        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 4 8:24 AM
          I'm sure being a victim of crime is extremely traumatic and must
          color your view of the neighborhood. I'd just strongly encourage
          you to not see those who robbed you as "traditional residents".
          Sure they are a small segment of the neighborhood, but the vast
          majority of new and old timers hate these thugs - even if they
          understand how society has failed them. As for the ANCs, you have
          to pick your battles and grow a thicker skin if you know you're
          going to bring up unpopular points. It's sad to say that not
          everyone is respectful at community meetings or ANC meetings, but
          I'm pretty sure in Dick Channey's old district in Wyoming, urban
          democrats would be met with the same reaction by some.

          Again, bottom-line, CH is a big mixing pot of different races,
          cultures, and political view points - but 99% want a clean, safe
          neighborhood. I think people have to keep engaging each other as
          respectfully as possible, but if other's aren't, don't take it
          personally. This is the only way for people of different
          backgrounds to understand we have common interests and have to work
          together to get things accomplished.

          Jason

          P.S. In spite of some of the things you're said that I don't agree
          with (tounge and check stuff) I appreciate you speaking up and being
          willing to discuss this on what can be a contentious list serve.

          --- In columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com, "Farace, Rick"
          <rick.farace@...> wrote:

          > All fair comments and I respect that. When I said I agreed with
          Jon
          > 100%, I was looking beyond the tongue and cheek posse suggestion
          for
          > what he was really saying; traditional residents don't want me
          here and
          > don't appreciate the same diversity I bring as I feel they do.
          > Furthermore, those residents don't want me to have a voice in the
          > community (I was shouted down 2 years at an ANC meeting) nor have
          a say
          > in how the tax benefits that I bring should be directed. FYI:
          Looking
          > down the barrel of a gun within steps of your wife and home is a
          life
          > changing event. And no, at the time you do not think about how
          society
          > has failed these kids, you contain your anger and explain calmly
          that
          > you are out walking your dog with no money... and try not to think
          of
          > the white kid killed similarly 2 years ago in Mt. Pleasant whose
          name
          > and circumstances has drifted into anonymity.
          >
          > ________________________________

        • Glenn Greene
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 4 8:32 PM
            Actually, a "posse" might be more useful than a possy - whatever that is.

            --- In columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com, "jon_audino19" <jon_audino19@...> wrote:

            > Jarek - you will get no sympathy from this group. White people at the
            > median income level or above have no rights in Columbia Heights and are
            > the root of all problems. I suggest you and your friends form a possy
            > and start regulating yourself because the police are as useless as tits
            > on a boar when it comes to preventing crime. The DC government is not
            > much better - their chief concern is making sure they are handing out
            > enough welfare to stay elected rather than protecting the people who
            > pay for it. Seriously, I suggest a possy.
            >
            > Jon

          • Glenn Greene
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 4 9:30 PM
              It's good to know that FoxSports could find an articulate (very articulate) black man to
              write an opinion piece.
              You've cited an excellent and thought provoking article. But it has nothing to do with hate
              crimes by black people against white people. It's actually about hate crimes by black
              people against black people ("when shots are fired and a black man hits the pavement,
              there's every statistical reason to believe another black man pulled the trigger") and would
              be more appropriately cited in reference to the countless unsolved murder and assault
              cases in DC involving young black male victims - many of whom, believe it or not, are or
              were innocent victims. The author is making the point that young black males are killing
              each other at a rate that would make old time Klansmen jealous.
              I remember once riding in my car in Upper Northwest, in the area where there are lots of
              embassies and other expensive real estate, and realizing how incredibly crappy the roads
              were. It struck me as odd that there would be such bad roads in the high rent district. But
              then it occurred to me that this was an illustration of the beauty of DC - everybody gets
              underserved, even the well-heeled. It's the great equalizer. Remember what happened to
              the unfortunate reporter for the New York Times who was assaulted a year or so ago?
              Instead of being taken by the private ambulance service in his affluent community to the
              top-notch medical facility in his affluent zip code, he gets taken across town by city
              ambulance and experiences the type of medical care that people of a much lower
              economic bracket routinely have to settle for. He ends up dying when perhaps swifter and
              smarter action at a number of points along the way could have saved him. I heard an
              interview with a resident of his neighborhood who said that the incident served as a
              reminder for him and his neighbors to make sure they had the number of the local private
              ambulance in the speed dial of their cell phones so that if anything happened they could
              call that ambulance and ensure that they would be taken to the local, better hospital. The
              solution was not to make every hospital better, but to make sure they get taken to the
              great hospital in their great neighborhood.
              Do you really think the only assaults going on in CH are directed at white residents, or
              new residents? Do you really think these crimes began when wealthier and/or non-black
              residents moved in?
              You're upset because of an unsolved hate crime; I'm upset because of yet another unsolved
              crime.

              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 5 7:22 AM
                The analogy stinks. The KKK targeted those of another race - whites against
                blacks specifically. The KKK's motive was not robbery - it was to intimidate
                and show hatred against those deemed different and less human by the
                perpetrators. Their rationale was, believed but false, that whites were
                victimized by blacks when the opposite was true.

                That's why I used the KKK as an analogy in response to your post. By
                "traditional" residents you meant black residents. You said "white"
                residents should form a posse to combat threats from these "traditional" -
                ie black - residents.

                And as has been pointed out to you, again and again, your statement is
                almost entirely false. Whites as a group are not being targeted. Crime here
                is multicultural. The motives are individual gain or revenge, not racial
                hatred. Crime victims are overwhelmingly black, not white. Murderers and
                victims are overwhelmingly young and mostly of the same race. They are
                crimes whose roots are poverty, not racial hatred.

                > And I would object to white sheets and flaming crosses. What's odd
                > is that you don't object to the exact same situation as described by
                > Jarek in the first place. Group of kids assaulting an innocent
                > bystander in broad daylight. Sounds like the black KKK to me. Here
                > is an interesting article that discusses that exact phenomenon -
                > written by a very articulate black man. Wake up Dave White people
                > are targets in CH for nothing more than being white.
                >
                > http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7499442?MSNHPHCP>1=10637
                >

                > --- In columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com, "David McIntire" <mail@...>
                > wrote:
                >>
                >> Right. And be sure to wear white sheets and carry flaming crosses.
                > After all
                >> it has tradition behind it.
                >>
                >> Dave McIntire

              • jon_audino19
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 6 8:29 AM
                  Everyone claims that people are not targeted for being white.
                  Looking at the original incident outlined in Jarek's post, what was
                  the reason for the mid-day assault on the gentelman described?

                  Was he invovled in the CH "gangwar"? Did he owe the drugdealers
                  money? No - he was white, minding his own business. If you think
                  that white people aren't targeted simply for being white you are more
                  ignorant than even I imagined.

                  Jon

                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 6 9:15 AM
                      You might make that argument if whites as crime victims were
                      disproportionately more than other races and ethnic groups. But the opposite
                      is true.

                      Simply because the perpetrator might be black and the victim white does not
                      make it a hate crime.

                      Your continued insistence that any attack of a white by a black must reflect
                      prejudice makes me suspect that the "racist" shoe might be on the wrong
                      foot.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 6 11:35 AM
                        Hey Jon,

                        Is it possible this person was targeted by a gang of racist kids
                        that only beat him up because he was white - YES, it is possible!
                        Is it possible they were out and wanted to attack someone - anyone
                        regardless of color because they are pissed off kids - YES! The
                        point is we don't know and looking at the crime statistics that have
                        already been mentioned, it seems like the opposite is true - very
                        little inter-racial violence and much more same race violence.

                        There was crime and violence before any white people started moving
                        back to CH in the 1990s. Now that Whites are being victimized like
                        the long time residents, it seems obvious that these are just thugs
                        who are into a criminal life style - not creating racist gang. I've
                        actually heard from black residents that a lot of black thugs are
                        more afraid to attack a white person for fear of having a bigger
                        police response than if they stick to other people of color. If
                        anything, there is now a phenomenon where Latinos have been targeted
                        because criminals think they won't report anything to the police
                        because they might be undocumented. Nothing racist here, just
                        simple logic of the street.

                        Jason

                        P.S. Claiming we are "more ignorant than you imagined" because we
                        don't agree with you isn't a mature or constructive approach to our
                        problems. If there is evidence of a hate crime it should be
                        pursued, but if not, there's not reason to go stirring the racial
                        cauldron.

                        <jon_audino19@...> wrote:

                        > Everyone claims that people are not targeted for being white.
                        > Looking at the original incident outlined in Jarek's post, what
                        was
                        > the reason for the mid-day assault on the gentelman described?
                        >
                        > Was he invovled in the CH "gangwar"? Did he owe the drugdealers
                        > money? No - he was white, minding his own business. If you think
                        > that white people aren't targeted simply for being white you are
                        more
                        > ignorant than even I imagined.
                        >
                        > Jon
                        >
                        > --- In columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com, "David McIntire" <mail@>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > The analogy stinks. The KKK targeted those of another race -
                        whites
                        > against
                        > > blacks specifically. The KKK's motive was not robbery - it was
                        > intimidate
                        > > and show hatred against those deemed different and less human by
                        > the
                        > > perpetrators. Their rationale was, believed but false, that
                        whites
                        > were
                        > > victimized by blacks when the opposite was true.
                        > >
                        > > That's why I used the KKK as an analogy in response to your
                        post.
                        > By
                        > > "traditional" residents you meant black residents. You
                        said "white"
                        > > residents should form a posse to combat threats from
                        > these "traditional" -
                        > > ie black - residents.
                        > >
                        > > And as has been pointed out to you, again and again, your
                        statement
                        > is
                        > > almost entirely false. Whites as a group are not being targeted.
                        > Crime here
                        > > is multicultural. The motives are individual gain or revenge,
                        not
                        > racial
                        > > hatred. Crime victims are overwhelmingly black, not white.
                        > Murderers and
                        > > victims are overwhelmingly young and mostly of the same race.
                        They
                        > are
                        > > crimes whose roots are poverty, not racial hatred.
                        > >
                        > > Dave McIntire

                      • Tania B. Jackson
                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 7 9:11 AM

                          It’s not that race isn’t a component, and anyone who says otherwise is just not being honest with him or herself.  But what concerned me in the original framing of this discussion was  a) the use of long term residents as equal to black people only and b) buying into the target mentality by suggesting that the solution should be to somehow seek out and target those people with race as a basis.

                          I have been horrified to see the level to which crime has escalated in this neighborhood.  My mother, who is both black and a longtime resident, was recently car-jacked at gunpoint in the alley behind her house in what has been a relative island of safety on Columbia Road .  The guys who did it politely referred to her as ma’am as they relieved her of her purse and Cadillac.   Besides being angry that this happened, when we were standing in the alley with the police (who responded with amazing quickness, and found her car literally within 10 minutes of being called, because the idiots decided to drive around the neighborhood with it), I was also angry, initially about all the years that we’d spent interacting with the young people in our immediate area and cultivating relationships with neighbors, feeling that it was all for naught.  The reality is the guys who robbed her saw a Cadillac and a purse, and the block square was blacked out.  It was a great crime of opportunity, and whether she is black or white they viewed her as a viable target.

                          I have really struggled with this, and with the incident that happened to me a few days ago, when a group of boys threw their half-empty plastic bottles at me as I emerged from my car (a Mini Cooper) and yelled derisive remarks to me that included something about not belonging [in the neighborhood, presumably].  When I fully stepped out of the car and they saw that I looked like them (that is, African American), the surprise on their face was evident.  And as they took off on their bikes, they got an earful from me about where I belong, and the negativity of their behavior.  And no, I wasn’t thinking, “oh you poor young people with nothing positive to do” I was thinking, “it’s a good thing you’re on bikes!”

                          I think that a lot of the crimes that are happening are happening because there are people(both black and white, I might add, as evidenced by the debate on this listserv)  who think that white automatically equals “rich” and black automatically equals “poor”.  Also “bad”/ “good”; “gentrifying interlopers”/ “long time residents”; “predatory”/ “victimized”.   We all know that the truth of that lies elsewhere, and I honestly think, despite the anger and ire it riles in each of us, that in addition for fighting for public safety, we all have to remember not to buy into these stupid stereotypes, because it will ultimately just beget more violence.  We can’t turn a blind eye to the bad stuff that’s happening, and the solution most certainly does not lie in getting mad at each other, when we’re the ones being victimized.

                          Re: Digest Number 3078

                          Posted by: "jon_audino19" jon_audino19@...   jon_audino19

                          Thu Dec 6, 2007 8:29 am (PST)