Re: [columbia_heights] Enough's Enough

  • Tracy Geoghegan
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 31, 2000
      Tania, I agree with most everything you wrote. Two recent experiences
      in
      Columbia Heights popped into my mind as I was reading your post. I'm
      not
      sure how relevant they are, but here goes:

      1) One Sunday morning shortly after I moved here two years ago, I was
      out on
      14th Street trying to catch a taxi. Eventually one came along, and he
      sized
      me up a bit before stopping. After I got in, he told me he almost
      didn't
      pick me up because he figured the only reason a white person would be in

      this neighborhood would be to buy drugs. Of course, he did eventually
      pick
      me up, so I guess he concluded that I do not look like a drug addict,
      but
      the experience was kinda interesting. Nothing like that had ever
      happened to
      me in the 10 years I lived just six blocks over in upper Adams Morgan.

      2) Walking home from work (dressed in office attire), again on 14th
      Street,
      a man in a car pulled over and tried to convince me to get in and go on
      date with him. I guess that meant he thought I was a prostitute, or
      something like that. Again, this was the first time anything like that
      had
      happened to me in all my years of living in this city. Just to be clear
      -- I
      was not traumatized by this experience and I'm not looking for
      sympathy. I
      found it puzzling more than anything. I am not young and I wasn't
      dressed
      provocatively, so it made me wonder what brought this on.

      I have to conclude that this neighborhood has a certain stigma that
      affects
      many of us who live here, regardless of race and class. I would never
      be so
      naive as to suggest that this is some kind of unique Columbia Heights
      problem that tarnishes all residents to the same degree, or that being a
      CH
      resident puts anyone at a major disadvantage, especially compared to
      other
      factors such as race and class, but I think if my experiences show
      anything,
      it's that we all have a stake in improving the image of our
      neighborhood.

      I am aware that being white and middle class gives me more emotional
      space
      to be detached and intrigued by my experiences instead of being mad as
      hell,
      as I probably would be if they were just the latest in a lifelong string
      of
      similar insults.

      The concerns others have expressed about economic displacement are
      serious
      ones. I do not believe that rising tides lift all boats, but I think
      we'd
      all like to see less crime, more beautiful public spaces and more of the

      services we now must travel out of the neighborhood to receive. I hope
      we
      can find a way to achieve this and also build a community where all
      types of
      people feel welcome and appreciated by their neighbors.
    • Michael Vallen
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 1, 2000
        Even though I know you will not answer me with a
        straight forward answer Dave I sure would like to know
        who all of your "secret" sources are and what they
        really know regarding the famously unscrupulous Mr.
        Moore. This BS of yours is so very very very tiring. I
        have it on good and trustworthy account that you are a

        mev

        =====
        Apexstudios
        Design-Architecture-Illustration
        Michael Vallen

        http//www.apexstudios.com

        "Any deviation from simplicity results in a loss of dignity." Irving J. Gill 1932

        From homework help to love advice, Yahoo! Experts has your answer.
        http://experts.yahoo.com/
      • Rebekah Menning
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 1, 2000
          Do we all need to read messages like this??
          I'd appreciate it if people making personal attacks
          would not send them to the whole group.
          Thanks,
          Rebekah

          Even though I know you will not answer me with a
          straight forward answer Dave I sure would like to know
          who all of your "secret" sources are and what they
          really know regarding the famously unscrupulous Mr.
          Moore. This BS of yours is so very very very tiring. I
          have it on good and trustworthy account that you are a

          mev

          =====
          Apexstudios
          Design-Architecture-Illustration
          Michael Vallen

          http//www.apexstudios.com

          "Any deviation from simplicity results in a loss of dignity." Irving J.
          Gill 1932

          From homework help to love advice, Yahoo! Experts has your answer.
          http://experts.yahoo.com/
        • Lester Cavagnaro
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 1, 2000
            I agree with you 100%. Michael seems to always be on the attack, what a
            shame.

            Lester

            Even though I know you will not answer me with a
            straight forward answer Dave I sure would like to know
            who all of your "secret" sources are and what they
            really know regarding the famously unscrupulous Mr.
            Moore. This BS of yours is so very very very tiring. I
            have it on good and trustworthy account that you are a

            mev

            =====
            Apexstudios
            Design-Architecture-Illustration
            Michael Vallen

            http//www.apexstudios.com

            "Any deviation from simplicity results in a loss of dignity." Irving J.
            Gill 1932

            From homework help to love advice, Yahoo! Experts has your answer.
            http://experts.yahoo.com/
          • Tony McNeal
            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 1, 2000
              Rebekah:

              Michael Vallen is certainly capable of defending himself, but I don't
              consider his remarks a personal attack when Dave McIntire and others
              irresponsibly and without one shred of evidence willfully go around and make
              accusations about back room deals, cronyism within the RLA, and Bob Moore
              making money on the side.

              Does Dave have any proof? If so, produce it. If he doesn't (and he
              obviously doesn't or we would have seen it), he just cheapens his own
              arguments. Why aren't you outraged about that?

              Tony McNeal

              >From: Rebekah Menning <rmenning@...>
              >To: 'Michael Vallen' <apexstudio@...>, Dave McIntire
              ><mail@...>, Columbia Heights <columbia_heights@egroups.com>
              >Subject: RE: [columbia_heights] Enough's Enough
              >Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 08:49:35 -0500
              >
              >Do we all need to read messages like this??
              >I'd appreciate it if people making personal attacks
              >would not send them to the whole group.
              >Thanks,
              >Rebekah

              http://profiles.msn.com
            • John Roach
              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 1, 2000
                I agree. Do we all need to be subjected to this childishness?

                Lester Cavagnaro wrote:

                > I agree with you 100%. Michael seems to always be on the attack, what a
                > shame.
                >
                > Lester

              • Caroline Polk
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 1, 2000
                  I would guess that most of us on this list who have even the vaguest
                  interest in DC politics had been hearing rumors about Bob Moore and his
                  wheeling and dealing long before we got hooked up to the Internet. Perhaps
                  someone on the list can set the record straight. For example, is it true
                  that DCCH was/is under investigation for misappropriation of millions of
                  dollars?

                  >Michael Vallen is certainly capable of defending himself, but I don't
                  >consider his remarks a personal attack when Dave McIntire and others
                  >irresponsibly and without one shred of evidence willfully go around and
                  make
                  >accusations about back room deals, cronyism within the RLA, and Bob Moore
                  >making money on the side.
                  >
                  >Does Dave have any proof? If so, produce it. If he doesn't (and he
                  >obviously doesn't or we would have seen it), he just cheapens his own
                  >arguments. Why aren't you outraged about that?
                  >
                  >Tony McNeal
                  >

                  >>From: Rebekah Menning <rmenning@...>
                  >>To: 'Michael Vallen' <apexstudio@...>, Dave McIntire
                  >><mail@...>, Columbia Heights <columbia_heights@egroups.com>
                  >>Subject: RE: [columbia_heights] Enough's Enough
                  >>Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 08:49:35 -0500
                  >>
                  >>Do we all need to read messages like this??
                  >>I'd appreciate it if people making personal attacks
                  >>would not send them to the whole group.
                  >>Thanks,
                  >>Rebekah

                • Rebekah Menning
                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 1, 2000
                    Tony,

                    I'm not defending anyone or siding with anyone, and I'm not outraged. I
                    just feel like there are things that can be written from one individual to
                    another without bringing the whole group into it.

                    Sometimes I feel like this list is more about criticizing one another and
                    pointing out faults and discrepancies in opinion (and fact), than working
                    with each other on neighborhood issues. Moot point: all I did in that last
                    message was make a suggestion about the way people interact in this forum,
                    and I was immediately countered on it. I'm not suggesting that we join
                    hands and "all just get along," but it would be nice to see more affirmation
                    of the things we do agree on.

                    Respectfully,

                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 1, 2000
                      Tony:

                      It's about the tone of voice. Most of us are looking for information
                      and ways to build community. Michael could have just as easily made his
                      point by asking Dave for more concrete evidence of his opinion.

                      I think the "send later" option in most email programs is a great
                      opportunity to ask "Does everybody need to hear this?"

                      Tom Stehle
                    • Tony McNeal
                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 1, 2000
                        Rebekah:

                        I understand your initial comment. My only response is that you should be
                        taking Dave McIntire to task as much as Michael Vallen for his
                        irresponsible, mean spirited accusations.

                        And you will probably notice that Dave won't respond to Michael's comment,
                        eventhough he responds to EVERYTHING. He won't because he can't prove
                        anything he said about the RLA or Bob Moore.

                        http://profiles.msn.com
                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 1, 2000
                          Yes, I consider Mr. Moore unscrupulous as do many in the nonprofit
                          community.

                          I also consider him a reflectsive liar in his public persona. I don't know
                          him personally. In just the 15 minutes I listened to him at the Strategic
                          Planning Conference he told lie after lie.

                          He presented the original Grid plan as if that was still in effect - skating
                          rink, etc. Everyone knows better. How could it be when the planned size of
                          the complex has been reduced by about one third - from 650,000 to 450,000
                          sq. ft.?

                          He said that RLA mandated the reduced size which is lie number two. The
                          developers reduced it because the notion of a sports/entertainment complex
                          in Columbia Heights was crazy from the beginning.

                          The anchor tenant they are looking for now is a multiplex movie chain. When
                          I asked Mr. Moore if that was such a good idea, why was it that after a year
                          they hadn't even gotten an expression of interest from such a chain. He said
                          that was because they still hadn't sufficiently worked out the costs for the
                          complex. That is lie three or we have a grossly incompetant developer. They
                          certainly know about what it would cost per sq.ft. to lease space - close
                          enough to get tentative committments from leasees if there was any real
                          interest.

                          Then he had the audacity to say that all developers require pre-leases. That
                          was a bald faced lie. I listened to Forest City testify on several
                          occassions that they build without tenant committments for retail complexes.
                          That has to be true because they recently signed an agreement with the city
                          of Denver, to not only build but to upfront a half billion dollars in
                          infrastructure costs that would be repaid by the City.

                          I know it isn't tactful for me to be so direct and public about how I feel
                          concerning Mr. Moore. It might very well be counter productive. But we are
                          having what amounts to a political debate and I think I remain in the
                          parameters of political debate.

                          I haven't accused Mr. Moore of doing something illegal in my previous post.
                          I was writing why I think Mr. Moore has supported this debacle. I can't
                          divulge the source of what I was told in confidence. I can say it didn't
                          come newcomers or whites. It came from a source(s) in the nonprofit
                          community who have been around a lot longer than Mr. Moore. Why don't you
                          put the question to Mr. Moore?

                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 1, 2000
                            From: David McIntire:
                            "He supported the plans that made DCCH the sole minority
                            participant and PROBABLY SIDE DEALS OR UNDERSTANDINGS FOR HIMSELF,
                            PERSONALLY."

                            That sounds like an accusation to me. And how convenient that you can't
                            divulge your source.

                            I would be happy to ask Mr. Moore if he is corrupt or practicing shady
                            deals. But, if he is, do you think he would really tell me? I think it is
                            incumbent on the person throwing the accusation around to provide the proof.

                            Tony McNeal

                            >I haven't accused Mr. Moore of doing something illegal in my previous post.
                            >I was writing why I think Mr. Moore has supported this debacle. I can't
                            >divulge the source of what I was told in confidence. I can say it didn't
                            >come newcomers or whites. It came from a source(s) in the nonprofit
                            >community who have been around a lot longer than Mr. Moore. Why don't you
                            >put the question to Mr. Moore?
                            >
                            >Dave McIntire

                          • Dave McIntire
                            Message 13 of 24 , Nov 1, 2000
                              No, ask Mr. Moore if he accepts or has accepted finder's fees from
                              financial institutions. The part you mention was speculation on my part and
                              was presented as such. The speculation was made based on what I was told
                              about Mr. Moore accepting finder's fee. My source(s) is / are sufficiently
                              close that he / she / they would have standing to testify in court, were
                              the practice illegal which it is not.

                              Again I am not accusing Mr. Moore of doing anything illegal.

                              Dave

                              > "He supported the plans that made DCCH the sole minority
                              > participant and PROBABLY SIDE DEALS OR UNDERSTANDINGS FOR HIMSELF,
                              > PERSONALLY."
                              >
                              > That sounds like an accusation to me. And how convenient that you can't
                              > divulge your source.
                              >
                              > I would be happy to ask Mr. Moore if he is corrupt or practicing shady
                              > deals. But, if he is, do you think he would really tell me? I think it
                              is
                              > incumbent on the person throwing the accusation around to provide the
                              proof.

                              > Tony McNeal

                            • Mark C. Barlet
                              Message 14 of 24 , Nov 1, 2000
                                Here is a link to a story about the development, It goes in to Mr.
                                Moore's past. I posted a copy on my web area, because you have to pay
                                for it off of Washingtonpost.com.

                                So here is the link:

                                http://members.bellatlantic.net/~mbarlet/Moore.html

                                So Tony, I did not see a law suit by Mr. Moore to the Washington
                                Post, so I can assume that this is correct. So it LOOK as if Mr.
                                Moore has a track record of being a bit shady. I also have a copy of
                                the Audit of DHCD/CDC and I must say in many cases DCCH was in a
                                class by itself. The audit shows that around 11 million is MISSING
                                from DHCD that was given to the CDC's. DCCH got a lot of page time,
                                because it was the one that had the most "MISSING MONEY". I will find
                                my copy, and the electronic copy and post it for all to see. We can
                                also revisit the E-mails that were sent around after the RLA crap. It
                                shows that Mr. Moore and the RLA were REAL tight, and that there was
                                some back room dealings going on. I am sure if you give me a few days
                                I could find more.

                                Mark

                                From homework help to love advice, Yahoo! Experts has your answer.
                                http://experts.yahoo.com/
                              • Tony McNeal
                                Message 15 of 24 , Nov 1, 2000
                                  Dave/Mark:

                                  I will respond to you both and end this here because I'm tiring of it. To
                                  Dave: So, your "sources" think Bob Moore "probably" accepted back room
                                  deals? That makes absolutely no sense.

                                  Mark: The article you sent from the Post only repeats things about Bob
                                  Moore's past. As I read that article, he didn't deny any of it. It does
                                  not speak to the current development situation. And to parade around
                                  Dorothy Brizile as a credible source (her speculation about Tania Jackson,
                                  her mother and the RLA was laughable and completely offbase) just shows how
                                  lazy the Post is about finding other sources.

                                  I quit. Have a good day.

                                  Tony McNeal

                                  >From: "Dave McIntire" <mail@...>
                                  >To: <columbia_heights@egroups.com>
                                  >Subject: Re: [columbia_heights] Enough's Enough
                                  >Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 11:10:39 -0500
                                  >
                                  >No, ask Mr. Moore if he accepts or has accepted finder's fees from
                                  >financial institutions. The part you mention was speculation on my part and
                                  >was presented as such. The speculation was made based on what I was told
                                  >about Mr. Moore accepting finder's fee. My source(s) is / are sufficiently
                                  >close that he / she / they would have standing to testify in court, were
                                  >the practice illegal which it is not.
                                  >
                                  >Again I am not accusing Mr. Moore of doing anything illegal.
                                  >
                                  >Dave

                                  http://profiles.msn.com
                                • Mark C. Barlet
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Nov 1, 2000
                                    Ya, I bet,

                                    here is another one that goes into detail about it

                                    http://members/bellatlantic.ne/~mbarlet/Moore2.html

                                    I am not a betting man Tony, but to me I would not trust him with 10
                                    bucks. He has done this MORE THAN ONCE.

                                    His record speacks for itself, Would you like me to keep looking?

                                    Mark

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Nov 1, 2000
                                      The link is:

                                      http://members.bellatlantic.net/~mbarlet/Moore2.html

                                      sorry guys and gals

                                      Mark

                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 30 2:31 PM
                                        Man I did not even say anything this time. I get in trouble before I
                                        speak now =)

                                        Mark

                                        a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/