Re: [columbia_heights] Re: Girard Park Design Workshop

  • Peter Burris
    Message 1 of 45 , Jun 5, 2007
      I find myself stunned by the disgusting, racist, and smug attitude of your post.  Like most middle class people who enjoys some degree of prosperity that millions strive to attain, you seem to think that the answer lies in hiring more police.  Were you in DC around 1991-2 when the city hired a huge number of cops without screening them?  I could not cite exact figures, but I distinctly recall the stories of new officers who had slipped in without the due diligence of background checks, and subsequently turned around to get arrested for crimes petty and large.

      The solution to social problems like unemployment, violent crime, and vandalism never originates in beefing up goons with guns;  rather, growth and prosperity stems from aggressive attempts to increase the education of those less privileged, to making sure they have the housing, child-, and health-care they need, not bigger jails and more surveillance on every corner.  I nearly got killed twice this evening, thanks to police cars ripping around corners at dangerous speeds for the narrow streets around my home at 13th and Harvard.  I find myself skulking about the streets, overly conscious of the surveillance cameras urning us into an Orwellian nightmare.

      Like you, I lament the shootings, the congregations of aimless folks who seem at odds and ends for gainful employment.  But suggesting we replace potentially beautiful spaces with more police presence displays short-sighted siege mentality, one I do not wish to see prevail in a city I have happily inhabited for thirty-seven years.  Should you prefer to live in a police state, I'm sure I could suggest a few around the world.  All you have to do is inquire.

      Please proofread what you post next time -- might you have phrased your post more diplomatically, more sensitively, more aware of the privileges you enjoy at the expense of those you disdain?

      Yours most sincerely,
      Peter H. Burris

      On 6/5/07, jon_audino19 <jon_audino19@...> wrote:

      The last thing the neighborhood needs is another place for people to
      congregate and drink all day while the rest of us go to work.

      Don't you think it's odd that there is a line of unemployed, illegal
      hispanic men waiting to get into the park @ 11th and Monroe every
      morning at 8am. And then you wonder why crime goes up and there is
      MS-13 grafiti everywhere.

      Another great idea from the DC government. Do us all a favor and use
      that money to hire police and cut crime rather than increasing crime
      and disorderly conduct.

      If there are any questions as to the validity of this I encourage
      you, Mr Graham, to cruise on by 11th and Monroe any morning to see
      for yourself what our tax dollars are supporting. I also encourage
      you to contact emergency services about how many calls they get per
      week to deal with passed out hispanics at that park. Yet another
      bill we the people get to foot.

      --- In columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Graham"
      <grahamwone@...> wrote:

      > Do you want to be a part of the community design process for the
      new Girard
      > Park?
      >

      > I have been able to secure the support of Mayor Fenty and the
      Department of
      > Parks and Recreation to make the new park a reality in 2008. Our
      next step
      > is the completion of the community design process.
      >

      > Girard Park design workshops will be held:
      >

      > - Friday, June 8, 6:30pm - 8:30pm
      > Columbia Heights Community Center
      > 1480 Girard St, NW
      >

      > - Saturday, June 9, 11:30am - 4:00pm
      > Columbia Heights Community Center
      > 1480 Girard St, NW
      >

      > - Saturday, June 23, 11:30am - 4:00pm
      > 1420 Columbia Rd, NW (4th floor)
      >

      > We must protect and enhance our green spaces. I hope you will join
      in this
      > effort! Also, please fill out and return the survey, available on
      my
      > website www.grahamwone.com.
      >

      > Bests,
      > Councilmember Jim Graham
      >

      > --
      >
      > I typically answer emails before 9 AM on weekdays. If you email me
      after
      > that, it is likely that you will hear from me the next weekday. If
      there is
      > a need to communicate prior to that, you may wish to call me.
      >
      > Jim Graham, Councilmember, Ward One, 1350 Pa. Ave., NW, #105,
      Washington, DC
      > 20004. 202-724-8181; 202-724-8109 (fax).
      >
      > Chairman, Committee on Public Works and the Environment (including
      alcohol
      > regulation). Main Committee Number: 202-724-8195. 1350 Pa. Ave.,
      NW, #116,

      Message 45 of 45 , Jul 10, 2007
        My hope, John, is that you will join the our quest for a World Class
        Community. However, to accomplish this you are going to have to be
        willing to do some homework to help balance out some of the guilt and
        fear that seems to be embedded in this and other comments of yours.
        Taking a sober assessment as to where we are, how we got here and what
        we need to do to get to World Class Status is not easy. And that some
        would fined it easier to focus on me than the critical issues that I've
        raise is par for the course. Based on my experience, I predict that in
        6 months you will join me and others in the tough work of reaching World
        Class Status, even as our closely held myths get shattered in the
        process. I just hope at when that time comes you don't hesitate to join
        the effort due to the silliness of your current comments. Don't worry,
        just join in.

        William

        The invitation for coffee remains open.