A Rent Supplement Program for Very Low Income Families

  • Jim Graham
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 19, 2006

      Dear Friends,

      Many very low-income families in the District will get help with their rent, under emergency legislation I authored that the Council passed today.

      We have an affordable housing crisis in the District. More than 47,000 households are waiting for federally funded housing assistance. But the federal government continues to cut the dollars available for housing vouchers.

      This summer, I authored legislation approved by the Council creating a Rent Supplement Program for the DC Housing Authority to spend local dollars on housing assistance.

      This bill approves emergency rules for the Housing Authority to implement the program. I made certain that the highest priority will be for families with children under 18.

      The approximately $18 million available in this year for rent support will now be put to work.

      Bests, Councilmember Jim Graham

      --

      I typically answer emails before 9 AM on weekdays. If you email me after that, it is likely that you will hear from me the next weekday. If there is a need to communicate prior to that, you may wish to call me.

      Jim Graham, Councilmember, Ward One, 1350 Pa. Ave., NW, #105, Washington, DC 20004. 202-724-8181; 202-724-8109 (fax).

      Chairman, Committee on Consumer and Regulatory Affairs. Main Committee Number: 202-724-8198. 1350 Pa. Ave., NW, #112, Washington, DC 20004.

      Website: www.grahamwone.com
    • Chris McCarthy
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 20, 2006
        How long until William complains that Graham is "in the pockets" of
        low-income families?
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 20, 2006
          Chris, I can related to why many of us hold the performance of Mr.
          Graham so sacrosant. Many of us have overly invested many elements of
          our civic life, especially duties, responsibities and engagement into
          the hands of Mr. Graham. This is especially true when it comes to
          civic life outside of our particular interest groups and comfort zones.
          So a call to Mr. Graham's office has become a substitute for engaging
          each other civicly. Therefore, many of us are then overly invested in
          Mr. Grahams performance, so any critique of Mr. Graham's performance no
          matter how accurate strikes directly at our civic souls, bring on
          feelings of guilt and other corrosive emotions. To cope with this, we
          take on various forms of denial to assuage our feels of civic guilt.
          This denial is based in Mr. Graham's performance as sacrosant therefore
          justifying the transfer to civic responsibilities to him and his office,
          backed by a shallow or surface understanding of the issues. However, if
          he is not performing up to to par or in a mediocre manner; we feel guilt
          for having transfered civic responsibility to a entitiy that is not
          performancing up to standard. As part of our denial reflex we just
          don't want to hear it, so we attempt to silence, deflect or belittle the
          critique. Depending on the degree of the invest and/or transfer of our
          civic responsibilities to Mr. Graham the greater the sensitivity to
          critiques that person tends to be.

          When I attend various meetings and etc. and there a disagreement or
          challenge, I'll ask, "Did you talk to the other side(s)?", the answer is
          generally, "No, I spoke to Mr. Graham's office, he is handling it". Over
          time this has caused our civic muscles to begin to atrophy at a time
          when the demand for civic activity is the greatest. This is one of the
          reasons there is support for Fenty's take over of schools, because it
          enables further abdication of civic responsibility, the same is true
          with the 400ft ABC lic. rule repeal and so on. Denial is also at the
          center of our the embracement of the Urban Disney mentality, " Eating,
          Drinking and Being Merry is a civic responsibility because it generates
          more taxes allowing the transfer of more of ours lives civic lives
          without guilt".

          My goal is to get us back to fully exercising our civic muscles, because
          we will need our full civic faculties to face some great challenges
          ahead of us and to collect our reward. However, this will not happen
          because a critical mass of us are in a state of denial with the belief
          that Mr. Graham is handling it. But, he is really in over his head, any
          one person or group would be. So for his sake and ours we have to push
          beyond the surface. And face issues as honestly as we can. If in the
          transition to fully civic responsibility I have to take a few and give a
          few, so be it..

          William

          Chris McCarthy wrote:

          >How long until William complains that Graham is "in the pockets" of
          >low-income families?

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Glenn Greene
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 20, 2006
            I don't think it's a matter of holding the performance of Jim Graham
            (or any other councilmember) "sacrosanct." It's just a difference of
            opinion. There are people who think your criticisms are accurate, and
            there are people who don't. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
            If you tell people who disagree with you that their opinions are
            uninformed or naive, based upon a shallow and superficial
            understanding of the issues, it should not be a shock if they get
            defensive. That approach is not likely to win people over to your view.
            In my personal dealings with Councilman Graham's office, he and his
            staff have been incredibly responsive in terms of taking action and
            keeping me apprised of the efforts being made to address particular
            situations brought to their attention. I may not agree with him on
            every issue, but I agree with him enough to think that he has been and
            continues to be a good, effective member of the City Council. That's
            nothing more or less than my own personal opinion and it's worth as
            much or as little as it's worth.

            --- In columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com, William Jordan <whj@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > without guilt".
            >
            > My goal is to get us back to fully exercising our civic muscles,
            because
            > we will need our full civic faculties to face some great challenges
            > ahead of us and to collect our reward. However, this will not happen
            > because a critical mass of us are in a state of denial with the belief
            > that Mr. Graham is handling it. But, he is really in over his head, any
            > one person or group would be. So for his sake and ours we have to push
            > beyond the surface. And face issues as honestly as we can. If in the
            > transition to fully civic responsibility I have to take a few and
            give a
            > few, so be it..
            >
            > William
            >

            > Chris McCarthy wrote:
            >
            > >How long until William complains that Graham is "in the pockets" of

          • halyadoing
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 20, 2006
              You got it all wrong, Dude. These are feel good measures with no
              comprehensive follow through. Or better yet: another example of
              haphazardly diverting resources from one sector of the community to
              implement a temporary, band aid approach at a cost of sacrifices borne
              by others.

              And you need to go to the activist gym and build up your political
              muscles. Let me suggest that you put in 30 minutes a day on the Graham
              punching bag. You could take the Yellow Line to the gym, but why
              support the corrupt politicians who insanely lobbied for more metro
              service? Wait for the Green line. Or better yet, drive your
              car.

              --- In columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com, "Chris McCarthy"

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 20, 2006
                The point I am trying to make is that there are consequences to robbing
                Peter to pay Paul in the delivery of constituency services.
                Particularly, when these tradeoffs are made in a crisis and without
                transparency. I've seen enough of this to see the harm that it does in
                this community in the longer run. So what is good and responsive
                constituency services to one person or group often is at the spense of
                others. This is life; however, good planning and sticking to it would
                mitigate much of the zero-sum impact or at least a more equitable
                sharing of these tradeoffs. Or at least have more transparency for
                these tradeoffs.

                For example the Yelloline Extension. To make this happen funds where
                loss for projects in the area of Georgia Ave. near where the Shelter is
                attempting to relocate that included retail and afforable housing. This
                was also done while WMATA was also cutting serveral Bus routes in our
                area to balance last year's budget. I believe it is important that
                residents understand that when they push for something there are
                consequence. Now there is a legitimate debate between these options,
                but I feel they should be made transparent and the option for input to
                be made available.

                Even with the Central Union Mission move. While I oppose the
                relocation, I also oppose relying on discriminating against the homeless
                and current Georgia Ave. business and property owners to achieve it. I
                want to ensure that this community thinks long and hard about relying
                and supporting discriminatory policies to achieve objects especially
                when we have other options.

                In transportation, public spaces, parks and public safety this area is
                in a much worse mess than it has to be. Primarily because of the
                tradeoffs between good planning and implementation and what appears to
                be good constituency services. Tradeoffs that do not have to be servere
                as they are. Tradeoff that are going to get worse as less resources are
                available or shortsighted approaches get set in stone. We have many
                many expambles of this.

                I don't mind debate, but feel no need to be silent so that some in the
                community don't have to be burdened with knowing that their short term
                gain is at the expense of their neighbors or everyone's long term gain.

                William

                Glenn Greene wrote:

                >I don't think it's a matter of holding the performance of Jim Graham
                >(or any other councilmember) "sacrosanct." It's just a difference of
                >opinion. There are people who think your criticisms are accurate, and
                >there are people who don't. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
                >If you tell people who disagree with you that their opinions are
                >uninformed or naive, based upon a shallow and superficial
                >understanding of the issues, it should not be a shock if they get
                >defensive. That approach is not likely to win people over to your view.
                >In my personal dealings with Councilman Graham's office, he and his
                >staff have been incredibly responsive in terms of taking action and
                >keeping me apprised of the efforts being made to address particular
                >situations brought to their attention. I may not agree with him on
                >every issue, but I agree with him enough to think that he has been and
                >continues to be a good, effective member of the City Council. That's
                >nothing more or less than my own personal opinion and it's worth as
                >much or as little as it's worth.

              • Joel
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 20, 2006
                  If there was ever a term for "geriatric emo," this would be
                  a classic example.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 31, 2006
                    It would be unwise for us to dismiss as a matter of opinion the depth of
                    the quantitative and qualitative differences being discussed here. I
                    am judging Mr. Graham's performance in comparison to a different and
                    quantitatively and qualitatively higher standard than Chris and
                    yourself. I am comparing whether this community is on tract to meet
                    the redevelopment, social, economic and other plans/goals that "we"
                    layed out in planning for our rebirth. And whether Mr. Graham has
                    adequately played is role in helping us to achieve these plans/goals.
                    You guys are primarily concerned with whether he is a decent and
                    responsive council member, I don't in the main dispute this, just
                    whether this is enough. On many object measures has not been enough for
                    this community. In my view Mr. Graham has to hit on all cylinders, for
                    others of you he only needs to hit a few for a strong grade. And this
                    is not just subjective feelings there are concrete objects and time
                    tables that needed to be met to achieve the vision that was layed out
                    for this community. Why should this community be forced to lower its
                    standards and vision to meet Mr. Graham's level of performance, should
                    not we be demanding that he upgrade is performance to meet or at least
                    aim for the higher standard that we set for our redevelopment?

                    My goal here is to urge community members not to allow the standards and
                    expectations to be lowered to fit the performance, but to demand that
                    performance be raised to meet the standards as best as possible. The
                    problem I have with Mr. Graham is that he resorted to activitely
                    lowering the standards and goals we set for this community inorder to
                    meet his political interests. If this community as a whole decides to
                    lower the standards then we should have the necessary public forums and
                    do so. But we should not allow the standards to belowered via
                    superficial political gestures that are at best worthly of partial
                    credit. I just believe that too much as been invested to begin to
                    "grade on a curve" just because the Mr. Graham is popular.
                    Unfortunately, I am not readly to go along with saying that the lower
                    standard of performance for Mr. Graham is OK. Primarily, because I
                    know he is up to the task of helping us to meet the higher standard if
                    we demand it of him.

                    William