Re: [columbia_heights] Re: another robbery , another tirade

  • Michelle Garcia-Smith
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2006
      Jon,
      This topic is so last week.

      I think you missed the ending while you were on vacation this past weekend.

      Michelle.

      jon_audino19 <jon_audino19@...> wrote:
      That is a really interesting point Heidi.  Alhtough I think that you
      are misinterpreting my initial message.  Let's be clear on one point -
      it isn't about race, it's about actions.  One of the great men of
      the 20th century once said:

      "I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation
      where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the
      content of their character."

      He didn't say "judged by the content of their character but"
      or "content of their character except" - it was content of their
      character period.  All I read on this board is excuse after excuse
      for why people commit crimes.  The anger is always directed at
      society, poverty, disparity, racism, etc... Yet never at the
      criminals.  Why is there no cry for justice?  Why is there no uproar
      for safer streets?  The uproar is only directed at those with the
      gaul to challenge the status quo, to demand safe streets for law
      abiding, tax paying citizens.

      What happened to content of character?

      --- In columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com, Heidi <dc_heidi@...> wrote:

      > Here we go again month after month after year after year on this
      listserv. It's always the same tired tirade over racism sparked by a
      new assault.

      >   Here's my take: We live in chocolate city. There's more black
      people here, so it's likely that the perpetrators are more often
      going to be black. (Of course, there's a whole socio-economic factor
      here I won't even address.) Ironically, my mother sent me a news
      clipping from the Green Bay Press Gazette where she lives as these
      postings started to explode. It was about how a 25 y.o. male was
      stabbed after being jumped by two WHITE GUYS. More white people in
      Green Bay--especially if you don't count the Packer players. So, in
      DC you see degenerates in the street that happen to be more black
      than white? In the Midwest, there's A LOT of white trash running
      around. And I was exposed to more drugs than I could ever imagine
      while in high school there--every single approach was by a white
      person. Oh...come to think of it: I remember being in the back of a
      car once with a casual acquaintance of my high school boyfriend
      driving--who unbeknownst to us--had a mission to shoot out the
      >  windows of someone's bedroom who he was mad at for god knows what
      reason. It happened. He was white.

      >   Point 2. I have Asian, Arab, Black, Indian, Latin and White
      friends (some of them mixed first generation, some of them off the
      boat). Out of all of them, the only ones who don't ever touch
      anything but alcohol are some (but not all) of my white friends and
      the black guy I hang out with that lives on my street. (He has dreads
      and his grammar isn't the best so if you saw him hanging out on a
      neighbor's porch with a beer in his hand when he gets home from work
      at 3 p.m.--because he's up at the crack of dawn--and you were a
      racist you could jump to your conclusions). Meanwhile, many of my
      mixed and white friends from DC were still living in their parents
      basements in their mid 30s. The only way their parents started to get
      them out in the last few years was to help them buy houses.

      >   Draw your own conclusions. I'm not on a soapbox. I'm merely
      pointing out reality as I know it. But my reality shows me that
      there's a bad core in every color. But there's also a lot of shiny
      red apples as well.

      > ---------------------------------
      > Love cheap thrills? Enjoy PC-to-Phone  calls to 30+ countries for
      just 2¢/min with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.

    • Glenn Greene
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1 12:03 PM
        I don't think you are reading "excuse after excuse" as to why people
        commit crimes. As pointed out in at least one earlier thread, the
        problem is interpreting potential explanations for criminal behavior
        as "excuses." And interpreting the offering of these explanations as
        condoning criminal behavior - which it most certainly is not. For
        years Mothers Against Drunk Driving (and other similar organizations)
        have had a public campaign for tougher drunk driving laws. At the
        same time they have also campaigned for increased public awareness of
        the dangers of driving drunk so that people will change their behavior
        and reduce the number of drunk driving accidents. Why? Because there
        will be many cases where no amount of punishment is going to fully
        redress the injuries caused by a drunk driving accident. So it makes
        sense to do what can be done to try and stop the accidents from
        happening in the first place. Punishing criminal behavior and
        addressing potential root causes of criminal behavior are not mutually
        exclusive. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's that simple.
        It seems to me that this board is full of cries for justice and
        demands for safer streets. Where people seem to differ is on the
        means to achieve those goals.

        --- In columbia_heights@yahoogroups.com, "jon_audino19"
        <jon_audino19@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > and his grammar isn't the best so if you saw him hanging out on a
        > neighbor's porch with a beer in his hand when he gets home from work
        > at 3 p.m.--because he's up at the crack of dawn--and you were a
        > racist you could jump to your conclusions). Meanwhile, many of my
        > mixed and white friends from DC were still living in their parents
        > basements in their mid 30s. The only way their parents started to get
        > them out in the last few years was to help them buy houses.
        > >
        > > Draw your own conclusions. I'm not on a soapbox. I'm merely
        > pointing out reality as I know it. But my reality shows me that
        > there's a bad core in every color. But there's also a lot of shiny
        > red apples as well.
        > >

        > > ---------------------------------
        > > Love cheap thrills? Enjoy PC-to-Phone calls to 30+ countries for
        > just 2¢/min with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.

      • Richard Parker
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1 2:37 PM
          Yeah, somehow the cry of 'lock up all black people and we'll all be safer' gets lost on me. I keep 'differing' with those folks - Go figure.
          Glenn, I do think that the points you made were valid...but there are just some downright bigots on this board...period. I feel bad for the ladies husband who got robbed, and I hope that justice comes to whoever did it, and I really don't have a problem with the original email that she wrote. The other guy, that started mouthing off questioning why black people are predestined to commit crimes was the one that got me. He even had the gall to discount the impact of hundreds of years of slavery and segregation on the lives of blacks today. Sorry...but me and him...ain't got too much in common...I don't even think we share the same goals, because, somehow, I get the feeling that the end result of his goals have something to do with me hanging from a tree....

          <jon_audino19@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > and his grammar isn't the best so if you saw him hanging out on a
          > neighbor's porch with a beer in his hand when he gets home from work
          > at 3 p.m.--because he's up at the crack of dawn--and you were a
          > racist you could jump to your conclusions). Meanwhile, many of my
          > mixed and white friends from DC were still living in their parents
          > basements in their mid 30s. The only way their parents started to get
          > them out in the last few years was to help them buy houses.
          > >
          > > Draw your own conclusions. I'm not on a soapbox. I'm merely
          > pointing out reality as I know it. But my reality shows me that
          > there's a bad core in every color. But there's also a lot of shiny
          > red apples as well.

          > > Love cheap thrills? Enjoy PC-to-Phone calls to 30+ countries for
          > just 2¢/min with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.

          Yahoo! Groups Links