PRESS RELEASE: Graham, Barry Propose Drug Treatment on Demand

  • Heymann, Alan (COUNCIL)
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2006
      COUNCILMEMBER JIM GRAHAM
      DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
      WARD ONE

      PRESS RELEASE

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Alan Heymann
      May 3, 2006
      (202) 724-8031

      BARRY, GRAHAM PROPOSE DRUG
      TREATMENT ON DEMAND

      Washington, DC - The District of Columbia would have its first plan to give
      residents free access to immediate treatment for drug addiction and
      alcoholism, under a bill introduced yesterday by Councilmembers Marion Barry
      (D-Ward Eight) and Jim Graham (D-Ward One).

      "When someone with a drug or alcohol problem finally gets it together and
      goes for help, we can't afford to make them wait," said Councilmember
      Graham. "That moment is so fleeting and so fragile. We have to move with
      that person and get them into treatment."

      The bill would require the Mayor to develop a comprehensive plan for
      delivering treatment on demand and submit it to the Council.

      "Alcoholism and drug addiction are at the core of so many problems in
      society," said Councilmember Graham. "We can make a major dent in
      unemployment, domestic abuse, child abuse and all sorts of crime by getting
      people help as soon as they need it."

      Six other Councilmembers have co-sponsored the Barry/Graham bill.

      ###

      Alan Heymann
      Director, Constituent Services
      Councilmember Jim Graham