new condo at old giant

  • Dan Babbitt
    Message 1 of 55 , Mar 3, 2006
      FYI

      From columbiaheightsnews.org

      We just received word from Jeremy Rubenstein, president of Metro
      Properties, Inc, that the old Giant site (3460 14th Street NW) will be
      developed into Allegro Condominiums, which will be one of the largest
      residential projects in Columbia Heights.
      According to Rubenstein, "Allegro will be one of the largest
      developments in Columbia Heights, with a total of approximately 315
      residential homes. The building is designed with multiple courtyards
      and a large amount of open space for the residents. Allegro will have
      a fitness center, courtyard water fountain, and 'internet lounge' for
      homeowners among other features. It will have approximately 246
      underground parking spaces available for purchase, and many of the
      units will have balconies and/or bay windows. There also will be two
      level penthouse units, with second floor rooms bordering on private,
      rooftop terraces."
    • Richard Layman
      Message 55 of 55 , Mar 11, 2006
        200 ft. not 500 ft.  That's a big difference.  500 ft. is almost 2 blocks (a block is about 270').  I happened to get a presentation about zoning today and the placarding requirements are 15 days before a scheduled hearing.

        And about ANCs... and civic involvement.  One of my criticisms of the concept is that it "governmentalizes" how people look at issues, including their options, at the most micro level of "grassroots"/neighborhood involvement.  I see this sometimes as a form of "learned helplessness."

        I also see ANCs as soaking up with little leadership that sometimes exists within communities.  (But then I tend to look at this a little more theoretically.)

        What comprises civic involvement ranges much more widely, from the ad-hoc to the very connected to government form of the ANCS.

        And as far as the comment goes about the 7 p.m. time, I don't know what can be done.  That's actually pretty good.  I am still amazed that in this market, local television news starts broadcasting evening programs at 4 pm... who could possibly watch?  When I worked downtown, I never left before 7 pm myself.

        RL