reward doubled to $50K for u street murderers

  • Janet Girard
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2006
      WASHINGTON - If money talks, District Police hope a higher reward will help find the killer of an innocent bystander on 'U' Street.
      Up to $50,000 is now available for information leading to an arrest and conviction in the Sunday morning shooting of Damon Ward.

      barbaraward_nau
      Damon Ward's mother Barbara speaks to reporters following the murder of her son on U Street. "Nothing can bring my son back," she says. (WTOP Photo/Neal Augenstein)
      Police say the incident started with a car that was double-parked in front of an empty spot. Another vehicle pulled up, the people inside got out, assaulted the driver of the double-parked car, then got back in and opened fire as they left.
      One shot hit Ward, who had nothing to do with the dispute.
      Ward's mother, Barbara, says she hopes police catch her son's killer.
      "There are no words that can express the pain and devastation that we're experiencing at this time, but I want all of you to know our pain has been lightened by the outpouring of compassion and love from everybody," she says.
      The last conversation Barbara had with her son was on Saturday night -- hours before he was killed after attending a birthday party.
      "I spoke with him for two hours. I was having problems with my Internet. He was on the phone with me for a couple of hours, then he said, 'Well, we can work on this later. I'm gonna go to a birthday party,'" she says.
      Damon's cousin, Karen Robinson, urges witnesses to come forward, even if they are afraid.
      "If you're fearful, be fearful of being the one of being hit by a bullet as an innocent bystander. It should be your responsibility to do something to protect the streets from people who do these type of things. If you're fearful, be fearful for yourself or your cousin, or brother, or mother," Robinson says.
      Robinson also has a message for her cousin's killer.
      "Come forward, and deal with the consequences. You have taken a very special and wonderful person from this earth," she says.
      Anyone with information is asked to call police at (202) 727-9099.

      By Matthew Cella
      THE WASHINGTON TIMES
      Published February 28, 2006

      D.C. police are looking for at least four men in the death of a 33-year-old architect who was struck by a stray bullet outside a Northwest restaurant during an argument over a parking space.
          The shooting occurred in the 1200 block of U Street Northwest outside the Duke's City restaurant and jazz club just before 3 a.m. Sunday.
          Damon Ward, 33, of the 1200 block of South Eads Street in Arlington, was hit in the chest by a bullet and died just after 7 a.m. Sunday.
          A 21-year-old woman also was hit in the left leg. The woman, who was treated and released from a local hospital, has not been identified because she is a witness.
          Police said neither the woman nor Mr. Ward was involved in the dispute.
          Capt. C.V. Morris, head of the Metropolitan Police Department's Violent Crimes Branch, told reporters yesterday that a car was double-parked in front of an empty parking space outside the club when it was approached from behind by a dark pickup truck or sport utility vehicle.
          The occupants of the second vehicle tried to get the driver of the double-parked car to move. When the driver did not, they jumped out of the car and beat him, Capt. Morris said.
          The men then retreated into their vehicle, and shots were fired at the driver of the other vehicle as they sped away.
          Mr. Ward, who was standing near the entrance to the club, was struck by the bullet. The suspects are described only as black men.
          Capt. Morris called the killing "senseless."
          "It's one of those cases that just shouldn't have happened, especially over a parking space," he said.
          Mr. Ward was a licensed architect in Louisiana, Missouri, Maryland, Virginia and the District.
          He had started a company, DPW Design & Development, whose stated objective was to serve the needs of "residents, developers, and retailers in and around urban cores."
          A biography on the company's Web site (dpwgroup.com) said Mr. Ward received a bachelor's degree in architecture in 1996 from Florida A&M University and abachelor of science degree in 1995. It features photos of projects the company completed in New Orleans, St. Louis and Shreveport, La.
          "He had successfully completed more than 11 large-scale projects, including more than 750 apartment units, totaling more than $100 million in construction in his nine-year employment history," the biography says.
          Mr. Ward was a member of the American Institute of Architects, National Council of Architectural Registration Boards and Architectural Woodwork Institute, and a former member of the Young Leadership Council.

      Yahoo! Mail