Re: [columbia_heights] Re: [MountPleasantDC] Two more armed robberies in the area-What can we do?

  • Elaine Fitch
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005
      A description of these various assailants would be extremely helpful.

      karen wrote:
      My friend Bono who works at Tonic was mugged by these guys on Tuesday night.  He was stabbed - luckily they missed his kidney and the blade landed in his butt.

      Do we need to take to the streets armed?  Our taxes go up, but where are our city services?

      Scott Pomeroy <pxleyes@...> wrote:
      Hello Everyone,

      Last night a patron leaving Bar Pilar on 14th Street between S & T was slashed with a knife in an attempted robbery.  A couple had just pulled away on a scooter when 2 men approached them and pulled a knife said get off and slashed the driver.

      He was able to drive away and escape, however this is not an isolated case.

      There was also last night:

      "Mugging on 1400 block of Q St

      Just an FYI, but I was walking east on the 1400 block of Q Street, when I was robbed. Time was 11:27pm. Two men, one with a gun, took my cell phone, wallet (drivers licence & one credit card) and cash. I was right in front of 1438 Q Street at the time. Other people were on the street including one guy walking his dog who called 911 while I was still being robbed. He was only about 15 feet in front of me.

      Also, police were quick to respond. No complaints there.

      Anyway, just an FYI to keep your eyes and ears open when you are walking.”

      Combine this with the homicide of the Grandmother at 14th & T in August, and then the four armed robberies of businesses all within the past two weeks.
      • Suntrust at 12th & U,
      • Subway at 16th & New Hampshire,
      • Candida's at 14th & Q and the
      • Barber shop at 14th & T,

      One would have to conclude that something is going on and we are not safe walking our streets around our own homes or visiting the businesses that we enjoy. How about some "hometown" security as opposed to homeland security?  Violent crimes and theft are spiking right now in this area, and we don’t need a band-aid solution.

      What can be done?  The Third District doesn't have more officers to assign to 14th Street or U Street without taking them from some other part of the Third District.  So lets figure out what part of the Third District they can come from?

      Mount Pleasant where someone was just shot in the head? Not a good idea.
      How about we take  them from Adams Morgan, Dupont, Ledroit Park, Shaw, Columbia Heights, Petworth/Georgia Avenue, or from other duties protecting the visitors to the M Street bars downtown or from the convention center.  I monitor community listservs throughout the Third District and I've seen several emergency meetings called for from all of these areas at the same time that we have seen this local spike.  I don’t think the residents of any of those areas would want to see their resources drop so that we can feel safer.

      The area that the Third District covers includes five major commercial/entertainment districts and several smaller strips, and some of the most dense residential neighborhoods in the city. OH.  And is the fastest developing area in the city with 100's of new businesses, 10's of thousands of new residents, and millions of visitors. It seems that when the city called for 100,000 new residents and asked for businesses to come into the city and invest, that they did not plan for the management and safety issues that would occur if they were successful.

      I've lived in the city for 18 years and must admit that I feel as unsafe now as I have at any other time I've lived here.  We've become the community that is the easy target, , the rich pickings and its not even winter yet. I'm used to seeing a spike in crime occur in November and December when people are wearing bulkier clothing and it's easier to conceal weapons.  This is not natural.

      WE the residents, businesses and organizations  in the Third District service area as a whole need to make our voices heard loud and clear that we want to feel safe in our own neighborhoods and places of business and that we expect that a small portion of the millions upon millions of dollars that are being produced through land transfers, sales taxes, and property taxes that are generated by this area represented by the Third District, get re-invested back into addressing the issues that have been created by the successful economic development that has occurred here.

      I don't want to put this all on the police at 3D as their resources have not kept pace with the growth occurring and their are other solutions beside police officers that are not being implemented.  This problem is only going to get worse as we continue to see the expansive growth occur in Columbia Heights, Shaw and Petworth, which are beginning to see the same level of investment that has occurred along  14th Street & U Streets and their surrounding neighborhoods.

      I must admit that I am frustrated and angry, that in this time of so-called prosperity we can’t feel safe in our homes, our businesses where we work, or the neighborhood we have chose to live and invest in, what is going to be done.

      Scott Pomeroy

      Yahoo! for Good
    • Jack
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005
        About armed robberies in this area:

        Following are the August numbers (in reported robberies per month
        per 1000 PSA population), and the averages for the period May 2004
        through August 2005 (as long as the current PSAs have been in place):

        PSA 301 - Mount Pleasant: August, 0.34; 15-month average, 0.47
        PSA 302 - Columbia Heights North: 1.22; 0.96
        PSA 303 - Adams Morgan: 1.09; 0.63
        PSA 304 - Columbia Heights South: 0.70; 0.61
        PSA 305 - U Street/Cardozo: 1.24; 1.20

        The current numbers (I haven't gotten September numbers yet) show a
        modest increase above the 15-month averages, but not greatly so,
        except perhaps for Adams Morgan.

        What can be done? "More police", the obvious and politically popular
        answer, does *not* help. In the winter of 2003-2004, Mount Pleasant
        had scads of police, posted here because of the homicides of October
        and November 2003. Robberies, during that period of heavy police
        presence went up, not down. There were 17 robberies in Mount
        Pleasant in January, 2004, in the midst of that heavy police
        presence, roughly triple our average rate. The robbers are smart
        enough to go around the corner, or wait until the patrol car
        disappears from view, to do their dirty work. They're not deterred
        by a visible police presence.

        My theme, for many months now, has been "more arrests and
        convictions". Nationwide, in cities of 250,000 or more population,
        23% of robberies are closed by arrest. In DC, only 14% of robberies
        are closed by arrest. Why are so many robbers allowed to go free,
        ready to rob again, and models of success for their friends? I don't
        know. I think we have to find out, and work out how to make robbery
        less attractive an occupation for those who are poverty-challenged
        and lawless.

        -- Jack in Mount Pleasant
      • Lisa Simon
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005
          Not a violent crime (knock on concrete), but my car was busted into for the 3rd time yesterday...on my birthday even which made it seem cosmically personal.

          $300 worth of damage and I think they stole about $2 in change from ashtray.  Why anyone would break into an apparently empty car w/ a club on it is beyond my scope of understanding.

          Are these types of--how to categorize?--stupid crimes also on the rise?

          I didn't report it (and this goes to Scott's larger point) because the last two times my car was broken into, when the damage was more like $1500 and they were actually trying to steal the car, the police recorded it as "damage to property" which completely masks the intent of the crime.

          lisa